XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Best Way to install a smart charger in boot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2024 | 11:40 AM

m about to buy a o7 xkr , the owner told me he had a battery drainage problem , rhat he put a regulatior on the battery . Would that take care of the problem ? I dont have a garage so i dont have the means to keep a charger on it . Will i really need to keep car on charger ? Im getting scared about buying car .typically, how long can your car sit without needing charge ?

Old 03-03-2024 | 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Yes Steve. I agree that even playing "swap the search words" with Mister Google can dredge up surprisingly different results on the same subject, and our JF is no different. But, I recommend going back one step - one advantage we have here is the great knowledge that has been shared through the resources gathered together in the Stickies. The "How To . . . " and "FAQ" Stickies are my first go to option.

Searching these Stickies is easy because, in most forums, all the topics are listed - usually alphabetically within logical groups. Beyond that, learning how to use the Search Tools is invaluable.

Anyway, back on your topic . . . so pleased to have been of help. Now, you can revel at scoring yourself against our 3 Priorities for new owners of the modern classic Jaguars -
  • Priority #1 - download all the manuals, wiring diagrams, TSBs and other resources relevant to your model & year (MY) both here and at Gus' great JagRepair.com (and drop him a "thanks");
  • Priority #2 - equip your car with a multi-stage smart charger to keep your car battery at full charge, permanently;
  • Priority #3 - equip your car with an inexpensive OBDII scanner such as the almost giveaway ELM327 and install the Torque app on your smart phone.
As you can see, you are well on the way to setting yourself up well.
Best wishes,

Ken
im looking at a 07 xkr . Can i just install a battery buddy to keep battery from draining ? How do i correct this problem?

Old 03-04-2024 | 10:02 AM
Default Battery Tender

Spoiler

Old 03-04-2024 | 10:17 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Jaguarjoecool
m about to buy a o7 xkr , the owner told me he had a battery drainage problem , rhat he put a regulatior on the battery . Would that take care of the problem ? I dont have a garage so i dont have the means to keep a charger on it . Will i really need to keep car on charger ? Im getting scared about buying car .typically, how long can your car sit without needing charge ?
I recall "year" for vehicles in the USA is the actual year REGISTERED and not the year the vehicle was MANUFACTURED. It's therefore possible you are considering a steel bodied XKR (built between 1996-2005) known by the factory code X100 but I suspect it is the later aluminium bodied XKR (from 2006-2014), factory code X150?

If you are looking at the later X150 model then daily drivers don't require a battery tender but if you are considering leaving it unused for a couple of week or more, it's almost essential. This model is very sensitive to battery condition and state of charge.

Graham

Old 03-04-2024 | 12:44 PM
Veteran Member

The battery does not gas until it goes over 14.4v so thats not a problem ..I have a long flat mains lead I run out through the boot seal and plug it in on the wall in front of my garage ..Never had a problem

The following users liked this post:
zray (03-07-2024)
Old 03-04-2024 | 08:35 PM

Yes def a 07 xkr . Going to look at it tommorrow , wish me luck lol . Thanks for all your help guys . Yea my 09 vanden plas is like. That as well bit its my daily driver so no problem

Old 03-07-2024 | 01:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
The battery does not gas until it goes over 14.4v so thats not a problem ..I have a long flat mains lead I run out through the boot seal and plug it in on the wall in front of my garage ..Never had a problem

^^^^^ this !! ^^^^^^

When I bought my XKR 6+ years ago I was concerned about running the flat cord out of the trunk / bolt, then closing it on the wire. Wise sages on the forum assured me there was ample cushion in the seal so not to worry. They were correct. You can close the lid and still be able to pull / push the tender lead easily, it’s that loose.

The following users liked this post:
Flash-1973 (03-07-2024)
Old 03-09-2024 | 07:47 PM

you guys know that you can lock the car with the trunk open, or?

only press down the hook of the trunk lock with a key or so (finger works too).
then you can lock the car and lean the trunk on the cable. to open it up you can use the key as usual.

i got my battery not connected in the winter and no charger.
i lock the complete car with the trunk open. disconnect the battery.
insert the key in the trunk lock to open the latch (hook) - helping the hook go up with a finger.
now close the trunk completely. xD
noone can enter the car and the battery wont drain that much in the 5 winter months