XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best XK8/R "One-Liners"

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by alfred
Out on the east coast two years ago, I was packing up our fishing rods into the trunk when a local and his son walked by. The son says something like "nice car" and then without hesitation his father says "stay in school son".

Now that is funny, my favorite.

The best I can do is "nice car, bet that costs a fortune to run".

Old 09-03-2011, 04:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Curves

My wife went to pick up our two boys from our child minder after work one night in the R.

Minder's husband was outside the house taking to a friend when she pulled up.
He says to his friend "just look at the curves on that" as my wife is getting out. Unfortunately his wife was in earshot and shouted "Alan!"
"The car!" he says "I was talking about the car!". Apparently he was very embarrassed.

Still not sure whether I believe him! Either way the comment is understandable!

Cheers,
Paul.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Whiteys Jag
He says to his friend "just look at the curves on that" as my wife is getting out. Unfortunately his wife was in earshot and shouted "Alan!"
"The car!" he says "I was talking about the car!".
When I was convincing my wife that we were getting the XK8 I pointed out it was just like her with all the right curves in all the right places. Someone on this forum pointed out that I was fortunate that I didn't mention the high maintenance or the full-size spare tire.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My favorite and I use it often. Thats a really nice looking car you have but its NOT a Jaguar.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2 instances -

Pulled up to a stoplight and a guy next to me said "Man, you're living my dream".

Second instance, and this is pretty funny. My biz partner was meeting with our landlord about a year ago and he was negotiating rent. After that conversation amongst some other "we're keeping our head above water" statements, the landlord said "By the way, was that Steve that I saw driving a new Jag convertible the other day?" Yeah, my "new 1999". As many others have commented, most people think it's still a 50K car or something.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:35 PM
Received 59 Likes on 35 Posts

"Why doesn't it have a leaper on the hood?"

Old 09-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I've had the car for a week; pulled through the McDonald's drive up and the sweet young thing behind the window says "nice car what is it". I say "a Jaguar XKR". She says "don't suppose I could drive it?" Sweet young thing or not, there's no way a 17 year old is getting their hands on my Jag!

Mark

Old 09-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Location: Marin County, CA, USA - Just north of San Francisco
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Writing out a check to buy a used one from a dealer in CT in the early '70s, and my wife has to ask "Do you call it a 'jaguuarr' or a 'jagwar'? Picking up my check, the very young salesman said "Lady - you just bought one - call it what ever you like!"

We never returned to the dealership! DaleD

Old 09-05-2011, 08:09 AM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

My favorite so far.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:55 AM
Miami XKR
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guy: "What are the back seats for?"
Me: "My midgets"

The following users liked this post:
K.Westra (09-15-2011)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:38 AM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Last weekend I picked up a friend and her friend from a fashion show at a small chateau close to where I work. Perfect setting for a Jag, too bad it was dark when I drove up to the entrance... would've been nice to have a picture of it.

Both being models they are of the longer kind, which doesn't go too well with the back seat in the coupé

One of the girls obviously had to ride in the back, and the comment I got from back there after we drove away was "Damn this is small! But it's a really really nice car."

So even when sitting in a really uncomfortable position, people appreciate a Jaguar

Old 09-10-2011, 09:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I do a number of jobs on the side to pay for such extravagences as the Jaguar I have but during the day, I work at a State University. Most people who find out I have a XK8 are kind of surprised but think it's cool. Every once in a while, I'll get someone who thinks a 'State Employee' has no business having such a thing. I look at them and simply say "Your tax dollars at work".

-Joe

The following 2 users liked this post by Joe Oliphant:
Danster (09-11-2011), K.Westra (09-12-2011)
Old 09-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
So . . . the other day our office had a little picnic. As we stood around shooting the breeze, one of the guys was talking about his new (to him) 2008 Audi A8 V10 Quatro and invited a bunch of us out to the parking lot to see it. The car was very nice, big, metallic black, 450hp, well-engineered, full featured and he “only” had to pay $80,000 for it. As luck would have it, I had parked my XK8 in the spot in front of his A8 so they were nose-to-nose. After he showed his off for a while, the only two ladies in the group walked over to my car and one of them announced: “Now, this is the car I’d like to have!! Anybody know who owns it?”

Gotta love it!
It just doesn't get any better than that!!!!!

EZDriver

Old 09-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Veteran Member
Smile A one liner I love using

Last summer my wife drove my 95 X300 some and liked the way it drove so much she wanted one of her own. It just so happened a friend of mine had a 2000 XK8 conv with low miles for sale so I bought it just for her. And she loves it and has had some interesting experiences with it.

Back to my one liner. I have friends that were skeptical about me buying the XJ6. Every now and then I come across one of them and they always ask, "How's your Jag doing?" Of course they expect me to complain about it. Instead I say, "Which one". Their mouth falls open and things get better for me from then on. "Both Jags are doing fine. And you know we now have his and her Jags!!!"

I love it.

EZDriver 1995 XJ6 2000 XK8

Old 09-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work in retail appliance/electronic sales. Occasionally, I'll need to pick something up from another store in our chain to transfer to my store for a sale (something small). Whenever someone in my company looks at the car and comments on it, I say "The money is in white goods." White goods meaning industry term for appliances (Brown goods = Electronics).

Old 09-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member

This isn't exactly a one liner, but. When my wife took her 2000 XK8 to a ladies meeting in our community she got lots of outstanding comments like "my husband would never buy me a car as nice as that". But one lady told Barbara that she had alwalys wanted a new red convertible (thinking the XK8 was new). And the lady did go home and get her husband to buy her a new Mustang red convertible. And everybody admired it as they should, being polite.

About a week later they had it parked outside since they didn't have a guarge where their dog was fenced in. The dog hated cats. And a cat got either on the car or under it. And the dog literally tore the front end of that car apart with his teeth. He destroyed the front bumper, the hood, and the left front fender trying to get to that cat. I saw the car after all that and it was hard to believe an animal even a big dog could do that much damage. Must have cost a fortune to get it fixed.

One thing came to mind and that was. If the dog hated cats so much. It is a good thing they didn't buy a Jaguar!!!!

EZDriver 2000 XK8 1995 XJ6

Old 09-29-2011, 11:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

I pull into a gas station and a guy in the truck next to me says "Nice car, what's it like to drive?" I flash back to Dudley More in the origional Auther and say "It doesn't suck."

Mark

Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got scared one day while at a local woodworking tool store, was just killing some time the store was empty, one of the employees, kinda rough around the edges kind of guy comes in and says in a real loud voice "Who owns the jag outside?" I came around the corner and I'm not a small guy at all and he apparently saw the look of concern on my face I figured it had been hit....he says "Oh! Sorry, the car is fine, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful it is...really great lines!!".......talk about relieved! I said "yeah, she is, thanks!". Then he asked me when Jag released this "new" model....mines a 2002 XKR and this happened a few weeks ago!!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wcben
Got scared one day while at a local woodworking tool store, was just killing some time the store was empty, one of the employees, kinda rough around the edges kind of guy comes in and says in a real loud voice "Who owns the jag outside?" I came around the corner and I'm not a small guy at all and he apparently saw the look of concern on my face I figured it had been hit....he says "Oh! Sorry, the car is fine, I just wanted to tell you how beautiful it is...really great lines!!".......talk about relieved! I said "yeah, she is, thanks!". Then he asked me when Jag released this "new" model....mines a 2002 XKR and this happened a few weeks ago!!
Reminds me of the time I was in a drug store and a blonde walked in and asked: "Does someone in here own that green Jaguar?" It was my 1993 XJ6. When I answered in the affirmative, she said it had been smacked in the door and the guy drove away. When I asked her if she got a license number, she said: "Well - uh, yes. It is JAG-U-R." Nothing against blondes (I married one and raised two more) but that was MY license plate. Sigh.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My "one-liner" is on my custom license plate frame. "This IS my other car !"

Thought about getting one that says - "You should see my other car !"

Quick Reply: Best XK8/R "One-Liners"