Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black suede detailed interior

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Just did my inserts and speaker covers. Very subtle but much more custom looking. Here's a pic of door. The insert is really weird rubbery finish over A Masonite board. I used spray glue on front and hot glue on back.
FYI, the drivers door I took off the whole card only to find out the insert is simply stuck on by means of melted tabs on the back. And the speaker cover has two exposed screws underneath and tabs on the upper part.
The passenger door,I removed the panels without taking card off and simply used heavy duty double stick to put insert back on. Way easier!!
Attachment 51815
Did you put the suede over the speaker itself? How does that work? I wouldn't think it would transmit sound very well.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Post some pics when done. Tks!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:29 AM

I was watching wheeler dealers on the teli. There's a process called "hydro dipping" or "carbon dipping" that you may find appealing for changing the appearance of your wooden dash to carbon fiber look.
Here's a YouTube video to demonstrate:
Hope you like it. I do.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
I was watching wheeler dealers on the teli. There's a process called "hydro dipping" or "carbon dipping" that you may find appealing for changing the appearance of your wooden dash to carbon fiber look.
Here's a YouTube video to demonstrate: The Carbon Fiber Effect - Wheeler Dealers Series 10 Episode 3 - YouTube
Hope you like it. I do.
I would KILL to have my panels done!!! Still leaves the steering wheel. Ugh!

Old 08-22-2013, 08:21 AM

Here's a search link for alcantara steering wheel wrap: alcantara steering wheel wrap - Google Search

Possibilities are endless. If you're going to proceed with red accents on the inside, consider doing the same on the steering wheel - combination of black alcantara with red stitching or red inserts.
Btw, you'll need to cover the airbag panel in it as well.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran Member

Here's a search link for alcantara steering wheel wrap: alcantara steering wheel wrap - Google Search

Possibilities are endless. If you're going to proceed with red accents on the inside, consider doing the same on the steering wheel - combination of black alcantara with red stitching or red inserts.
Btw, you'll need to cover the airbag panel in it as well.
Tried the red. Hated it. Didn't even take pic. I'm picking up some dark tan suede to try. Matched wood tone.
The panel is so tight, it won't fit wight the piping so I either cut it down, or make new panel.
I just found out I can pull out rear speaker covers too. I found a couple metal tabs I can just reach behind the seat, I bent them straight out and pushed a bit, then carefully pulled face off. There are other tabs but I can't reach them so I carefully pulled them out. I think I'm going to cut the lower tabs off and use Velcro to secure the bottom and bent top tabs back.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Veteran Member

Black suede detailed interior-image.jpg

Well, I went with a deep chocolate brown! I was at the Porsche dealership today with a friend and they had a black Panamera with black leather and brown alcantara. STUNNING!!
I found a good color that pulls out the browns from the wood dash. I've already booked him for the seats as well. I'm doing brown alcantara suede inserts with possibly a diamond quilting or at least the existing design in black stitches.
He's going to give me a quote to do the center console also in suede with the top stitching, leaving the lid black leather.
I think this is going to be amazing!! It's VERY grown up and luxury sports car.
Oh, I also found my old bronze XJS growler, cut off the back tabs and used removable 3m tape and put it in the center of the panel above the glove box. Was just an idea but I really like it! That badge color is perfect with my black interior.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member

XJS badge. I'm fond of that badge, after all, the XJS (bless the old girl) paid for the XK8!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 682 Likes on 554 Posts

The growler badge looks pretty good there. But if that airbag ever deploys, it will become a leaper real quick!

Old 08-22-2013, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jag#4
The growler badge looks pretty good there. But if that airbag ever deploys, it will become a leaper real quick!
Thought about that but it should stay on and fly back with the panel! It's stuck pretty good!! I can always get another and screw it on from behind.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

Better shot. I always liked that random color it came in. Like black chrome.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Attachment 51907

Well, I went with a deep chocolate brown! I was at the Porsche dealership today with a friend and they had a black Panamera with black leather and brown alcantara. STUNNING!!
That is lookin pretty dang good. How does the speaker work with the suede over it? Is it muffled?

I found a good color that pulls out the browns from the wood dash. I've already booked him for the seats as well. I'm doing brown alcantara suede inserts with possibly a diamond quilting or at least the existing design in black stitches.
I'm interested what you decide on the diamond quilting. I think it can look good in certain cars, usually in bigger, more cushy than sporty ones. On the fence about it in an XK.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
That is lookin pretty dang good. How does the speaker work with the suede over it? Is it muffled?

Honestly, I think my speaker sounds better. Richer, but it may be in my head. Not muffled at all.

I'm interested what you decide on the diamond quilting. I think it can look good in certain cars, usually in bigger, more cushy than sporty ones. On the fence about it in an XK.
The more I've looked at the seats, you're right. The space is too small to look right in diamond quilting. I'm sticking with the factory stitching. Plus, I'd rather put that extra charge towards the center console. That's gonna be pricy. It's a complicated piece to cut and sew or I'd do it myself.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:23 AM

I like the color for the door inserts. I'm not digging the leaper though. In the picture it sticks out too much IMO. Maybe in person it looks better.
About the quilted seats, if done well (professionally), it should look refined. Look at the Bentley Arnage T model interior - they use quilts with double, not single stitching. IMO it looks very nice. However, if you do the seats, you got to do the same on the door inserts.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

I like the color for the door inserts. I'm not digging the leaper though. In the picture it sticks out too much IMO. Maybe in person it looks better.
About the quilted seats, if done well (professionally), it should look refined. Look at the Bentley Arnage T model interior - they use quilts with double, not single stitching. IMO it looks very nice. However, if you do the seats, you got to do the same on the door inserts.
Saw the Bentley pics but there's a lot more surface for the quilting. I'm going to keep with the factory stitching I think and he said he can even sittch pieces for my door panels. But I'm doing in stages so I don't go to far too fast. First doors, then seats, then MAYBE the center console. I am ordering floor mats with brown logo and binding.
We're on the same page with the door panels.

The growler badge is actually pretty subtle. It's almost black if you've ever seen one. Eh, it can come off if I get tired of it. Not permanent. I may add a chrome ring to match the gages. Again, not permanent.
Someone said I should start a different thread "Brown suede interior" lol