XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Black & Tan Door Card

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Good point about the scratches, I hadn't thought of that.

Might be able to wrap them, I will have to give it a try. It can be a rather mind bending experience trying figure show to take a flat plane and form it around a complex shape.

Maybe this is how Einstein got his start...

Old 08-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

If you apply some heat during the wrap with a hairdryer, you might be able to get it sufficiently concave to mould to the plastic.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts

After another look at Frog's door, I would vote for covering the handle insert and doing the speaker section. What you have now has too much contrast. Changing to the darker color will match and blend better...IMHO.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag#4
After another look at Frog's door, I would vote for covering the handle insert and doing the speaker section. What you have now has too much contrast. Changing to the darker color will match and blend better...IMHO.
+1 That would be a great look!

Old 08-19-2013, 08:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

I think the new Krylon matte black plastic spray may hold up. I've used it on patio furniture and it won't scratch at all! Major prep though. Really have to make sure NO oils, shiners, hand muck anywhere.

Old 08-19-2013, 09:06 PM
Veteran Member

Anyone have an experience with plastidip? Seems fairly popular, and if you can just peel it off there isn't much risk.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-1-a-99517/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gestars-94807/

Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Anyone have an experience with plastidip? Seems fairly popular, and if you can just peel it off there isn't much risk.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...art-1-a-99517/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...gestars-94807/
A buddy used it and it was filthy in two weeks. I guess black may be easier but it will start to peel if too much wear.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member

Just finished my black suede inserts. Like the subtle contrast but not thrilled.
They have a saddle tan color as well so I may try it. Matches the wood tone.
And that's the red leather piping I was going to try.

Attached Thumbnails Black & Tan Door Card-image.jpg  
Old 08-22-2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran Member

Ok, ok, I know that this will be polarizing and 50% of people will like it and 50% will hate it, but that's part of the fun.

I've got a cashmere interior which, which, after 80k miles and a good bit of neglect from the previous owner, is looking a little shabby, so I've been thinking about things I could do with it. The car is black on the outside and tan on the inside so I've settled on continuing the black and tan theme inside.

I freely admit that this took WAY more time and effort than it was worth but this is my idea of a relaxing weekend, so who cares.

The door caps are done with a 3M carbon fiber wrap and the inserts with black Passion Suede. Thought about re-doing the speaker in black, but the wife said the alternating black, tan, black, tan, black would be a little too Holstein.

I am not completely sure about the door handle surround, I may yet change it to black. I have some ideas for the dash top to blend it in with the door caps. Don't worry purists, whatever I end up doing, the wood dash face will still be there, that's part of it being a Jaguar.

Before:
Attachment 51451

After:
Attachment 51452

Attachment 51453
Hi
Don't know if you came across this with your inserts but how did you re attach them? Mine were melted on with tabs in the back. I sorta popped them back and added some double stick. I expected screws but there's not enough "meat" to hold it.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by philhef
Hi
Don't know if you came across this with your inserts but how did you re attach them? Mine were melted on with tabs in the back. I sorta popped them back and added some double stick. I expected screws but there's not enough "meat" to hold it.
I spent way too much time on it.

To remove:
Used a solder iron to soften the rivets and pop them through. Did the door cap the same way excepting that the door cap also has a little glue at the far ends to deal with.

To install:
Put the shaft of the rivet back through, used the tip of the solder iron to make a detente in the end to get started and then put a #4 x 1/2" sheet metal screw and washer strait down the length of the rivet. Snugged them up by hand so as not to strip them. I used a little hot glue on the ends of the door cap similar to the way it was assembled before.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member

I spent way too much time on it.

To remove:
Used a solder iron to soften the rivets and pop them through. Did the door cap the same way excepting that the door cap also has a little glue at the far ends to deal with.

To install:
Put the shaft of the rivet back through, used the tip of the solder iron to make a detente in the end to get started and then put a #4 x 1/2" sheet metal screw and washer strait down the length of the rivet. Snugged them up by hand so as not to strip them. I used a little hot glue on the ends of the door cap similar to the way it was assembled before.
I thought about trying to use a screw too.
I just put the red piping on door insert but I can't get it to fit back in at all! Piping simply makes panel to big to fit. I may have to cut new panel or try to cut off 1/4 inch all the way around. Didn't like red any way. I'm going to pick up some dark tan suede to match wood tone. And that factory panel is so flexible if it slightly bends, I get ripples in the suede! Ugh.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member

Black & Tan Door Card-image.jpg

Decided to go with dark chocolate suede after seeing a black Panamera with black and brown interior.
I'm really happy now. Doing the seats inserts and possibly the center console as well in the suede. Leaving the lid and ashtray black.

Old 08-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Veteran Member

Just checking in to see if there is a carbon dash yet! I'm interested to see.
Saw some carbon fiber look vinyl yesterday that looked just like the wrap. It may be an option. Would make awesome seat inserts!

Old 08-25-2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member

Not yet. It has been unbearably hot so I have been trying to do as little in the garage as possible. The door panels I can bring in the house and do in the A/C but I have yet to convince my better half that it is acceptable to bring the car into the kitchen.

I do have a rough template cut from the carbon wrap for the dash top and am making preparations to install it. Vents are all out, A-pillars are removed and the wood dash is removed. I'll probably have a go at it next weekend since it is a holiday and I'll have an extra day to fiddle with it.

After the discussion about the brown plastic pieces and the impracticality of painting them, I picked up a full black dash for a good price. I now have all the black pieces and also a complete dash top out of the car that I can refine my pre-cut piece on.

It is SO much easier to do when you can get all the way around the thing.

Old 01-15-2015, 09:08 AM
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm going to be installing some aftermarket walnut burl door caps in place of the original vinyl. Any help on how you removed yours would be very helpful. I've contacted the fellow I'm buying the door caps from and his directions were quite terse, i.e. they would be understandable after I am done.......

Old 01-15-2015, 09:13 AM
Received 47 Likes on 17 Posts

WOW! That is really impressive!

Old 01-16-2015, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by greenforest56
I'm going to be installing some aftermarket walnut burl door caps in place of the original vinyl. Any help on how you removed yours would be very helpful. I've contacted the fellow I'm buying the door caps from and his directions were quite terse, i.e. they would be understandable after I am done.......
Not mine but posted on the forum a few months ago.

If you look at the bottom there are yellow tabs and yellow plastic rivets. The rivets have to be melted or cut to pass through the fiber board and the tabs can be unclipped.

At the front of the door where the cap meets the dash, there is a bit of glue holding it on that will have to be carefully pried off.

Once you get the door card out and can look at it, then it is pretty easy to figure out.

Old 05-10-2015, 10:53 AM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Was it difficult changing the leather insert above the door pull? I need a new door card for my STR however I would like to change the colour of the inserts.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Not difficult but takes some time. The insert (on the x100 anyway) is attached by plastic rivets. You can heat them with a solder iron like I did, or you could drill them out to release the insert. I assume that the S-type is similar in construction.

Recovering is just a matter of pealing the old skin off and putting a new one. I used the old as a pattern.

To replace you can utilize the rivets in the way I did or just flatten them and affix the insert with velcro, which I think is what Phil ended up doing. That is probably the easier way in hindsight, and no real downside.

The following users liked this post:
JagSTR2004 (05-10-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:58 AM
Veteran Member

Not difficult but takes some time. The insert (on the x100 anyway) is attached by plastic rivets. You can heat them with a solder iron like I did, or you could drill them out to release the insert. I assume that the S-type is similar in construction.

Recovering is just a matter of pealing the old skin off and putting a new one. I used the old as a pattern.

To replace you can utilize the rivets in the way I did or just flatten them and affix the insert with velcro, which I think is what Phil ended up doing. That is probably the easier way in hindsight, and no real downside.
Actually used small screws with washers and screwed back into rivets.