XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Blew doors off undercover cop car...

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:55 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Blew doors off undercover cop car...

so I was driving my XKR around with four of the mufflers removed to see if it was too noisy as removing only the last two at the end was good but not quite enough at first drive of 15 minutes.

The rumble was hilariously loud but it was vibrating the central console and on a 15 minute highway jaunt proved ridiculous. Back on city streets with a friend I picked up, I explained I could tell there was less low-end torque. I noted we had passed a police station but that their cars tended to go other direction we had just passed.

"Allow me to demonstrate at this light," I said. I pulled to the left of a pure black Ford Taurus with tinted windows at the subsequent red light for pole position. The light turned green, I mashed the throttle, and the cat roared. Then the black car came into my rear view mirror with lights ablaze behind its windshield.

"Oh no, I just blew the doors off an undercover police car. Stupid!" I sighed. I drove another block so I could pull into a strip mall parking lot, and the cop followed me and parked perpendicularly behind me. I knew I had to act quickly but smoothly...

I opened the car door and leaned out so he could see my hands and that I'm a middle-aged dude, not some teenager on joy ride at one of the nearby high-end used car lots.

"I'm sorry officer. We're testing my car after a place down the street removed my mufflers so I could check what kind of exhaust sound I could achieve and I accidentally got carried away," I began and noticed I was addressing an older, very fit, state trooper appearing fella.

He squinted, and replied, "where are you having the work done?"

"Platinum Motorworks down a few more blocks."

"WHO there are you working with?"

"Leo, the owner."

He stands tall, smiles, and says "Leo has been working on my cars for 20 years. Tell him I said hi. I pulled you over for doing 60 in a 40. I'm gonna let you off but keep it closer to the speed limit"

"Thank you officer"

Leo ended up outsourcing the work despite my clearly stated preference to simply get estimates not actual work, and the final price tag was more than I had noted to keep it too, but not having to pay for a ticket I clearly deserved made it a wash, and now I have this story.

The removal of just two mufflers at the back resulted in the desired auditory improvement as I drive around city streets.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Received 6,312 Likes on 5,499 Posts

Ha, your lucky day!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Luckier yet ...

150 mph in a 60 zone resulted in a stern warning to be more reasonable

Old 05-25-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

My dad once avoided a ticket when pulled over for speeding by saying "I have to get home before I run out of petrol". The cop laughed so hard he just let him go

Old 05-26-2013, 10:34 AM
Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts

What I find funny is that the owner of Platinum Motorworks is named LEO. That's the abbreviation for Law Enforcement Officer.

Haaaaaah!

Old 05-29-2013, 01:30 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Police and Love

Mr. W.;

It is always good to have friends of friends out of the blue in blue.

Many years ago I had a new Mercedes 190-16valve, the fastest four door sold in the US in '86.

So of course I was running late and managed to attract an officer who pulled me over doing about 100mph in town on the 55mph freeway.

He asked me why I was in such a hurry? Me thinking that is not a hurry on a five lane section of freeway that is just a little quick and also that I have never heard an officer really caring what excuse you gave it is really just a ploy to get you to admit you were speeding. But I was tired and figured what the hell tell him.

"I am late for my first date with an incredibly beautiful woman."

"Really?"

"Really!"

"Get out of here."

"Yes sir and thank you officer."

She was ticked off that I was late but I pointed out that I had been pulled over for speeding and that she got me out of the ticket and things went pretty well from there.

She would have been worth the ticket but if I was any later I might never have had the chance to find that out.....that was a 'lucky' night.

So to Sgt. Hexroth wherever you are pulling over speeders today a tip of the hat and thanks again for playing Cupid.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 05-29-2013 at 01:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
weisberg (05-29-2013)
Old 05-29-2013, 02:41 AM
Banned
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Very old joke:

I was pulled over by the Police last night. The copper said, "Why didn't you stop when you first saw the blue flashing lights?"

I said, "Sorry, I just panicked."

"Have you something to hide Sir?" He asked

I said, "No, my wife ran off with a copper six months ago. I was worried you were bringing her back."