XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Bloody Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 06:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bloody Front License Plate

What ho!
Bertie here. Just came to the realization that I must marr the primal beauty of the XK8 with a dashed awful NY license plate mounted like a great zit type blemish. Oh well, if the rauzzers insist.
Anyone of you come up with a mounting method that wont look like brown shoes with a black suit?
Tootle pip

Old 01-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertram Wooster
What ho!
Bertie here. Just came to the realization that I must marr the primal beauty of the XK8 with a dashed awful NY license plate mounted like a great zit type blemish. Oh well, if the rauzzers insist.
Anyone of you come up with a mounting method that wont look like brown shoes with a black suit?
Tootle pip
What ho!
Check out the 'flip plate' described in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...u-think-61914/

Old 01-18-2012, 04:45 AM
GGG
Received 16,853 Likes on 12,186 Posts

What ho!
Tootle pip
Although I didn't avail myself of the option, the manufacturer of my old car used to offer an effective solution to mounting number plates:

Bloody Front License Plate-db5-1st-aug-2006-osf-03.jpg

They had a variety of other accessories which could also prove efficacious in your domicile.

Unfortunately I can no longer patronise them as I believe they now belong to a "multinational", whatever that may be.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

What ho!
Tootle pip
brown suit with pumps looks best

Old 01-18-2012, 09:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Wouldn't Bertie Wooster call it a number plate, rather than a license plate?

Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

What ho!
Tootle pip
... Or anything with paisley, but I digress.

Anywho ... here's the approach I took, using a couple of brackets mounted low on the apron. This would leave only small holes to fill if I ever wanted to removed it, but I think they would be hard to see if filled.

FWIW ...

Attached Thumbnails Bloody Front License Plate-xk8-exp01.jpg  
Old 01-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I really want one of those flip plates even though front plates aren't required here in NC.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I really want one of those flip plates even though front plates aren't required here in NC.
You can get a leaper plate to put in it: JAGUAR ACCESSORIES

Old 01-18-2012, 05:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis07
... Or anything with paisley, but I digress.

Anywho ... here's the approach I took, using a couple of brackets mounted low on the apron. This would leave only small holes to fill if I ever wanted to removed it, but I think they would be hard to see if filled.

FWIW ...
Nicely done, I see it guards the oil cooler! I like the color on the Jag and I can't even tell if it's the gray or the green. It looks good, which is it?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Skid Mark
Nicely done, I see it guards the oil cooler! I like the color on the Jag and I can't even tell if it's the gray or the green. It looks good, which is it?
Thank you, sir.

It's titanium. In looking for touch-up paint when I first got the car, I learned there were two variants of this color. Mine is the bluer of the two. Also, this pic somehow makes it look bluer than it really is.

The plate is now the lowest thing on the car, so it serves as sort of an early warning system. Better the plate than the bottom of the apron.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:14 PM
GGG

Dumb question from someone who has never been to the USA.

Front plate must be an individual State requirement as Dennis07 in New Jersey needs one but Reverend Sam in North Carolina doesn't?

Old 01-18-2012, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Dumb question from someone who has never been to the USA.

Front plate must be an individual State requirement as Dennis07 in New Jersey needs one but Reverend Sam in North Carolina doesn't?
Yup, that's it. All kinds of things vary from state to state here. Probably a good thing too since, just to pick two examples, a lot of what works in New York would not work so well in Alabama, and vice versa.

The following users liked this post:
GGG (01-18-2012)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member

Another example: I beleive that Virginia is the only state where radar detectors are illegal.

Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Another example: I beleive that Virginia is the only state where radar detectors are illegal.
And I bet that has nothing to do with collecting loads of money from speeding fines in Virginia

If you move permanently from one State to another, do you then have to re-register / change your vehicle licence number?

Old 01-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
If you move permanently from one State to another, do you then have to re-register / change your vehicle licence number?
Yes

Old 01-18-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 6,311 Likes on 5,498 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
And I bet that has nothing to do with collecting loads of money from speeding fines in Virginia

Even if you don't move states it varies when you buy a car, some places the plate goes with the car and in others it stays with the driver.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:51 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG

Yup, plus apply for new title also. Some states have no sales tax, some no income taxes.

Other laws that vary from state to state:
One-armed piano players must perform for free.
It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.
Animals may not mate in public within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship.
It is illegal to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.
You cannot shoot rabbits from a motorboat.
A person may not cross state lines with a duck on top of his head.
The installation of bathtubs with four legs resembling animal paws is prohibited. (three? five?)
It’s against the law to sing off key. (Probably why Simon retired)
It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
It is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.
You may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit.
It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
Any marriage in which either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is considered null and void. (then why bother?)

Old 01-18-2012, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I had this bracket on the front when I first bought the car. After repainting it I left it off. It's adjustable, you can adjust it up or down. the problem was hitting the curbs and parking blocks. In Illinois we are a two plate state. I haven't had it on for about two years and have had no problems.

Attached Thumbnails Bloody Front License Plate-jag-plate.jpg   Bloody Front License Plate-license-bracket.jpg  
Old 01-19-2012, 02:32 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Beav
Yup, plus apply for new title also. Some states have no sales tax, some no income taxes.

Other laws that vary from state to state:
One-armed piano players must perform for free.
It is illegal to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.
Animals may not mate in public within 1,500 feet of a tavern, school or place of worship.
It is illegal to lend your vacuum cleaner to your next-door neighbor.
You cannot shoot rabbits from a motorboat.
A person may not cross state lines with a duck on top of his head.
The installation of bathtubs with four legs resembling animal paws is prohibited. (three? five?)
It’s against the law to sing off key. (Probably why Simon retired)
It is illegal to get a fish drunk.
It is illegal for a woman to drive a car up Main Street unless her husband is walking in front of the car waving a red flag.
You may not take a picture of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit.
It is mandatory for a motorist with criminal intentions to stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.
Any marriage in which either of the parties is an idiot or lunatic is considered null and void. (then why bother?)
Beav,

I sense your annoyance here. Which of these in particular is restricting your liberty and general enjoyment of life?

Graham

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Norri
Even if you don't move states it varies when you buy a car, some places the plate goes with the car and in others it stays with the driver.
In the UK the plate always stays with the car unless the owner transfers or puts it on retention before selling the vehicle. This applies across England, Scotland and Wales. A rare example of the three being in agreement.

Personalised registration (vanity plates) often change hands for staggering amounts of money. My initials are "GGG". The best plates to have are therefore 'GGG1 ' or '1 GGG'. Both are presently up for sale at £250K and £120K respectively. That's the price of 4 or 2 new XK's!

Quick Reply: Bloody Front License Plate