XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Bloody Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:51 AM
GGG
Received 16,852 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Originally Posted by RCSign
I had this bracket on the front when I first bought the car. After repainting it I left it off. It's adjustable, you can adjust it up or down. the problem was hitting the curbs and parking blocks. In Illinois we are a two plate state. I haven't had it on for about two years and have had no problems.
Because front plates are mandatory across the UK, all XK8's over here come with a moulded plinth:

Bloody Front License Plate-xk8-4.0-number-plate-bracket.jpg

It's a neat component where the back is curved to the profile of the car and the front has a raised lip round the edge. I'd prefer the front end without plinth or plate but we don't have the choice.

Back in the 60's it was common for E-Types (XKE's) to have a vinyl stick-on plate fitted across the nose where our circular badge is on the XK8. This is no longer allowed because speed cameras and ANPR units can't read them.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
In the UK the plate always stays with the car unless the owner transfers or puts it on retention before selling the vehicle. This applies across England, Scotland and Wales. A rare example of the three being in agreement.

Personalised registration (vanity plates) often change hands for staggering amounts of money. My initials are "GGG". The best plates to have are therefore 'GGG1 ' or '1 GGG'. Both are presently up for sale at £250K and £120K respectively. That's the price of 4 or 2 new XK's!
I much prefer the UK system where the plate stays with the car, but on the upside for the US system if you move to AZ you can have GGG1 for the princely sum of $25 and put it on any one of a bewildering array of plate designs.
https://servicearizona.com/webapp/ve...hoiceSearch.do

Old 01-19-2012, 06:37 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Norri
I much prefer the UK system where the plate stays with the car, but on the upside for the US system if you move to AZ you can have GGG1 for the princely sum of $25 and put it on any one of a bewildering array of plate designs.
https://servicearizona.com/webapp/ve...hoiceSearch.do
$25, only $25..........that's unreal!

Bloody Front License Plate-arizona-ggg-1.jpg

Bloody Front License Plate-arizona-1-ggg.jpg

Can't stop. I'm on the way to the airport. Cars will follow.

Graham

Old 01-19-2012, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
Provided, of course, that someone else is not already using it.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:45 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My state requires a front plate. It is in the trunk. Even when I have been stopped it has not been an issue. If I am ever questioned I will just say "bracket broke...new one on order...you know how it is with parts and Jags..."

Don't know if it will work when the time comes but until then plate stays in trunk.

The following users liked this post:
ChiTownXFSuper (05-14-2012)
Old 01-19-2012, 08:06 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Provided, of course, that someone else is not already using it.
Within the same State or anywhere in the US?

I'm still in shock from Norri's info that personal plates are a fixed fee of $25 (if available).

Our DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) auctions desireable plates. The highest paid so far was for '1D' in 2009 for £352,411.55. Private auctions go even higher and 'F1' made over £400K last year.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

GGG
In Illinois It's higher, Here's the list of the different types of plates and the cost the total cost for registering a new car is $194.00, but you also have to pay sales tax. So a $30,000 car will cost an additional $2325.00 Also you will pay sales tax on a used vehicle. after so many years I believe 20, there is a standard tax. I bought a car for my son a few years ago we paid the tax when we bought the car, five years later we transferred it back to my name and had to pay a tax again even though no money transferred hands.
  • $47
    America Remembers, Antique Vehicle, Autism Awareness, B-truck, Chicago Bears, Chicago Blackhawks, Chicago Bulls, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Collegiate, Eagle Scout, Education, Environmental, Firefighters Memorial, Illinois Chicago Police Memorial Foundation, Illinois Fraternal Order of Police, Illinois Hospice, Illinois Police Association, Illinois Route 66, Illinois Pan Hellenic, Law Enforcement Torch Run for Special Olympics, Mammogram, Master Mason, Organ Donor, Ovarian Cancer Awareness, Park District Youth Program, Passenger, Persons with Disabilities, Pet Friendly, Police Memorial, Prevent Violence, Recreational Vehicle (up to 8,000 lbs.), Rotary International, Saluting Agriculture, Sheet Metal Workers International Association, Sporting Series, Support Our Troops, and Support Youth Golf.
  • $25 Recreational Trailer
  • A $29 replacement fee is assessed to all plate switches, with the exception of Motorcycle and Recreational Trailer (RT) plates, which have a $26 replacement fee.
  • A $7 surcharge is assessed to the renewal fee.
Newly Acquired Vehicle
  • $241*
    ($194 title/registration fee + $47 Personalized fee)
* Specialty license plates have an extra specialty plate fee.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 189 Likes on 163 Posts

In Utah, front plates are required. In the 39 years I have lived here, I have been stopped once and given a warning. I have the front plate on my X Type but not on my XK8 (no bracket). My daughter just bought a 2012 Hyundai from a dealer and there was not a front bracket.

Personalized plates are an additional $35 if available.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:22 AM
GGG

Originally Posted by RCSign
GGG
In Illinois It's higher, Here's the list of the different types of plates and the cost the total cost for registering a new car is $194.00, but you also have to pay sales tax. So a $30,000 car will cost an additional $2325.00 Also you will pay sales tax on a used vehicle. after so many years I believe 20, there is a standard tax. I bought a car for my son a few years ago we paid the tax when we bought the car, five years later we transferred it back to my name and had to pay a tax again even though no money transferred hands.......
Doug,

New cars here are quoted OTR (on the road) but the final invoice breaks this down into Ex-works + delivery + sales tax + VAT making it a similar system. We don't pay tax on a used vehicle unless it's classed as a commercial e.g. Land Rover.

Nothing to pay annually for retaining my registration number but it costs £80 to transfer to another vehicle and inspection may be required. They went through the DB5 pictured in my first post on this thread with a fine tooth comb when I transferred the number off it but I suspect that was just to be able to play with it.

We also pay annual VED (Vehicle Excise Duty) which is £260 for the XK8.

Graham

Old 01-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by GGG
Within the same State or anywhere in the US?

I'm still in shock from Norri's info that personal plates are a fixed fee of $25 (if available).

Our DVLA (Driver & Vehicle Licensing Agency) auctions desireable plates. The highest paid so far was for '1D' in 2009 for £352,411.55. Private auctions go even higher and 'F1' made over £400K last year.
Within the same State. This means that there could be 50 Cars with the same "Vanity" Plate in the US. Of course, each Plate would have a different State ID on the Plate.

Otherwise, as you can see, there is a wide variation in the Types of Plates and Fees from State to State.

Old 01-19-2012, 01:46 PM
GGG

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
Within the same State. This means that there could be 50 Cars with the same "Vanity" Plate in the US. Of course, each Plate would have a different State ID on the Plate.

Otherwise, as you can see, there is a wide variation in the Types of Plates and Fees from State to State.
I was looking at the link for ServiceArizona Norri posted. Apart from the option of a 'Vanity' Plate there's an amazing choice of backgrounds just for the one State.

UK Regs only permit black letters on a white background for the front and black letters on a yellow background for the rear. Font, size and spacing are also fixed. We can have a 'GB' badge for travelling througout Europe and a thin border but that's it.

Bloody Front License Plate-uk-registration-plate.jpg

Very dull by comparison with the US.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

When I had my Mercury Cougar, a popular plate was "1FSTCAT" At one of the national meets someone posted a picture of 5 Cougars (from different states) with the same tag.

My personal plate cost me $100 extra and its no extra fee when I renew every year. I've gone without the front plate, despite it being illegal here in Minnesota to do so, for 3 years without incident. I've even been pulled over twice (both speed warnings) and neither time was my lack of a front plate mentioned.

Last edited by K.Westra; 01-19-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What ho Maties
Well, I intend on trying the Wooster luck for a bit and leaving the dashed awful yellow tin reggie plate in the boot. Even though on a BR Green car, a yellow plate might be acceptable, I just cannot abide the mark of the beast on my angel.
Like the low slung mount shown and if the rauzers make issue, I will install it as a bit of a curb feeler, a what.
Tootle Pip
Bertie

Old 01-19-2012, 04:18 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

I had to get a divorce as walking all over town waving a flag in front of my wife's car was preventing me from fishing drunk.

The duck on the head reminds me of:
A man walks into a psychiatrist's office with a duck on his head. The doctor asks, "Can I help you?" to which the duck replies, "Yeah, get this guy off my ***!"

Old 02-17-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took someone's advice and doubled up zip ties and wrapped them around the very bottom of the grill through the license plate bracket on my XK8 it doesn't cover up the grill and it holds on well shifts down a bit but who cares as long as it's on and I didn't have to make any holes in the car. I definitely couldn't chance driving in NYC without one on, they will look for any excuse to give you a ticket here.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

I think I posted a couple of pics somewhere here when I finally got around to putting on my front plate. I had the plastic mounting thing that came with the car (from the previous owner) and I screwed my license to that. Then I used zip tie to attach the plastic mount thing to my front bumper at a level that was just below the mesh grill. It doesn't look too bad and is a heck of a lot less than similar mounts offered by some of the aftermarket folks.

Doug

Old 02-17-2012, 12:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,360 Likes on 2,851 Posts

Our XK8 started life as a Beverly Hills, California car so it came equipped with the front plate bracket screwed and riveted into the two vertical black grill slats. No front plate requirement here in North Carolina so if my wife will kindly leave the car in the driveway long enough this weekend, I'm planning to see how much damage it will potentially do to remove the bracket. Any advice from folks who've already done this would be much appreciated....

Old 02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertram Wooster
What ho!
Bertie here. Just came to the realization that I must marr the primal beauty of the XK8 with a dashed awful NY license plate mounted like a great zit type blemish. Oh well, if the rauzzers insist.
Anyone of you come up with a mounting method that wont look like brown shoes with a black suit?
Tootle pip
I live in Texas, a 2 plate state, and opted for a remote flip up plate as per WhiteXKR's post.

I'm originally from upstate NY, where are you located?

Mark

Old 02-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 6,308 Likes on 5,496 Posts

Mine was a California car to, but luckily both previous owners obviously had a cavalier disregard for the law.
So no holes, and no plate required for AZ.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:15 PM
Received 70 Likes on 54 Posts

Removed mine had 2 small holes and 2 large holes that looked as if the plate had been ripped off. Reinstalled the bracket and a cat plate. Defiantly looks better than the holes. No front tags required in South Carolina. We do pay property tax every year based on the value of the vehicle.

Quick Reply: Bloody Front License Plate