XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bluetooth add

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 xj8

so am i clear that the details in this thread apply also to my car, a 2000 xj8? if so, can someone send me the details? my installer got stuck this weekend trying to install the motorola t605 and couldn't get it to mute the stereo when a call comes in.

motorola tech support was not available today because of "high call volume." i suspect the problem at motorola has more to do with low employment numbers.

thanks for pioneering this effort.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:33 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I'll check wiring diagrams, maybe tonight.

But did you enable the mute function on the radio?

Old 07-28-2010, 10:58 AM

No mute function yet. Could use wiring help. Thanks

Old 07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Pics of TK30 success!!

Finally, here's some pics of the installation of the TK30 now successfully fitted in my car.

When mute is active, the phone audio goes via a separate mono phone audio input to the head unit, but I also hacked into the trunk-mounted amplifier's ai-net cable (see pic) to get a good stereo input for streaming high quality stereo music from the TK30 when mute is not active. I originally bought a short ai-net extender cable off ebay that I could hack into just avoid possibly messing up the cars wiring, but the connectors on the extender cable were so cheap/unreliable that it kept malfunctioning so I just ended up tapping into the amp cable directly.

I also made an input switcher by using a small signal relay to use a control signal to switch the amp input between audio from the CD and a new aux input. I mounted the relay in a little metal box to screen it from electronic interference (shown with the lid off in the pic).

I currently send switched 12v power and stereo audio from the TK30 back to my input switcher setup around the CD stacker by re-using some normally unused wiring originally installed to support the optional jag phone system (apparently only year 2000 cars had the phone module mounted in the trunk so have wiring from the centre console to the trunk in place already). There is also wiring already in place for a microphone from the center console to the overhead console that I reused.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I used a PIE Cyclops unit (about $30) to automatically detect and trigger my input switcher relay only when there's audio coming from the TK30, so this means that I can also still just listen to CDs too. The Cyclops unit actually only has one input so its only listening to one channel (the left one in my case) but it seems to work out OK. If I ever tried to play a song that only had right-channel audio I guess it wouldn't work, but its not been a problem so far.

So now to listen to either music from a normal CD, music streaming off my phone via bluetooth, or MP3 files stored on USB storage I just need to have the CD input selected on the head unit. A phone call coming in during listening to any inputs or the radio will cause the system to be muted automatically and the head unit to display "PHONE", while the TK30 speaks the name of the caller and displays their name/number prior to accepting the call with a button push.

The TK30 comes with a lead that has a USB connector and 3.5mm jack plug on one end for plugging in storage media containing music files, Ipods etc. which I just ran into the centre console cubby box from the underside, as the TK30 control box is mounted under the center console.

The final pic is of the TK30 display unit mounted on the car's console. It's small enough to not look too obtrusive or ruin the style of the Jag dash too much.

The only slight remaining issue is that even though I was careful to keep the audio lines screened as much as possible on my extra wiring, there is still a small amount of unwanted interference noise when the bluetooth unit is switched into the CD audio circuit. Its only noticeable during very quiet moments in streaming music and changes tone with engine RPMs. I'm guessing its most likely getting in around the Jaguar phone wiring that I re-used. The noise is hardly noticeable so I could live with it, but being ****, I'll probably get tired of it one day and try installing 2 separate screened audio cables running from the centre console to the trunk and send the audio signals from the Tk30 to the switcher unit over that instead. Hopefully that should fix it.

A massive Thanks Very Much to Stevepaa for helping me work this out, and for the pigtail connector to help make the connections under the centre console. The jumper wires are now on their way back to you Steve.

Attached Thumbnails bluetooth add-dsc00041.jpg   bluetooth add-dsc00044.jpg   bluetooth add-dsc00046.jpg  

Last edited by JustNiz; 07-30-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:23 PM

From what I can gather from the wiring diagrams for 2000 Xj8
RT2 is a 10 way multi-lock 070 connector under the center console glove box.

The pin out is
brown /red wire RT2-8 is 12 volt battery
white/green wire RT2-10 is 122 volt ignition
microphone pair are RT2-4 and RT2-5
black wire RT2-6 is ground
blue wire RT2-2 is mute
green/orange wire RT2-1 is audio +
blue/yellow wire RT2-3 is audio -

Use a voltmeter and check for power on all lines.

Then ground mute line and see if radio goes mute.

I hope the installer did not just cut the wires to tap in. There are connectors available.

Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Default thanks!

Thank you Steve for the details. The installer used the wires you specified and grounded the stereo to get it to mute. The motorola t605 still would not mute the stereo when a call came in, so we believe it is defective and have returned it for a replacement. I'll post the results when the new unit is installed. Thanks again to all who responded.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thank you wnenn

Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 AM

Update: I replaced what appeared to be a defective motorola t606 and installed a new one yesterday. The phone function works and mutes properly. But now the music will not play either via streaming or the wired input. May be time to get a parrot instead and attempt third install.

Anyone else have this problem?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by shakattk
Update: I replaced what appeared to be a defective motorola t606 and installed a new one yesterday. The phone function works and mutes properly. But now the music will not play either via streaming or the wired input. May be time to get a parrot instead and attempt third install.

Anyone else have this problem?
Two questions:
1) Do you have a premium sound system?
2) Where is your audio output from the T606 wired into your system? When the head unit is muted it gets its audio from a separate input which is mono only and bypasses the premium sound amp, so you need to not use that same input for streaming audio, at least for quality reasons. Thats why in my setup I hacked into the the ai-net cable from the CD (as there's no other inputs on our systems).

Obviously when the head unit is muted, any signal coming from the CD is ignored so if you used a similar approach to mine, you also need to make sure that when you are streaming audio the mute isn't also active, otherwise you won't hear it.

I seem to remember checking into parrot's products and coming to the conclusion that the way they do (or don't do) mute is not as compatible with our systems. I think thats why most Jag people choose motorola specifically. I can't really remember though so you may find I'm wrong.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:12 PM
Default Phone module LJC 7301AA

For the XJ8 2000, could you guys confirm if you have (or had to buy) the phone module (I believe LJC 7301AA was mentioned) to get Bluetooth to work? Others have also been talking about another module (Bluetooth Upgrade Module, BTUM) and a D2B optical cable.

I have a 1998 XJ8 VDP and incorporated a Motorola Bluetooth kit. I have the mute function working fine (tested it by shorting pin 3/Mute to pin 6/Ground on the Radio-Telephone connector RT2 under the armrest). When in mute, the radio LCD reads "Phone". However, when I push the Phone button, the LCD reads "No Phone". Also, I am never able to get "SIG" when trying to pair.

Thanks.

Old 04-17-2011, 05:34 PM

that phone module is not necessary and will not help you.

How was the bluetooth "incorporated"? What color is the ten pin connector? What are the color codes for the wires that you connected to and what lines from bluetooth module did you connect?

Old 04-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Default Agree; phone module is not needed

Thanks much. I agree; the phone module is not needed. I managed to communicate with Jim Roal [Thanks Jim] and he also confirmed that the phone module is not needed.

I posted an update to my questions at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...h-issue-53247/.

My issue was that I was trying to pair to "Jaguar" but ##3#*#, SIG, and PIN code 1313 never worked for me. My mistake! All I needed to do was to pair to the bluetooth device using PIN code 0000.

My next step is to incorporate the PIE switcher. But I had a big problem yesterday night disconnecting the AI-Net cable from the back of the radio/head unit. Any trick to it? Is it just stuck? Thanks for your help should you have disconnected that cable before.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,984 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by JagMan98
Thanks much. I agree; the phone module is not needed. I managed to communicate with Jim Roal [Thanks Jim] and he also confirmed that the phone module is not needed.

I posted an update to my questions at https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/j...h-issue-53247/.

My issue was that I was trying to pair to "Jaguar" but ##3#*#, SIG, and PIN code 1313 never worked for me. My mistake! All I needed to do was to pair to the bluetooth device using PIN code 0000.

My next step is to incorporate the PIE switcher. But I had a big problem yesterday night disconnecting the AI-Net cable from the back of the radio/head unit. Any trick to it? Is it just stuck? Thanks for your help should you have disconnected that cable before.
The AI-NET cables have a mechanical latch. To disengage you just have to simply pull HARD.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 AM
Default radio telephoen connector and pin connections

@stevepaa
To answer your questions--- My radio telephone connector RT2 under the armrest is white. I used the pin connection per Jim Roal's pdf document "X308 Bluetooth Install" and it worked fine. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM
Default AI-Net Cable Disconnection

@WhiteXKR
Thanks much. I pulled hard but was also afraid to damage or break anything. I will try again tonight. Appreciate the help.

Old 04-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member

If it really seems jammed, try spraying it around the perimeter with electrical contact cleaner from Radio Shack or Home Depot. It contains some electronics safe lubricants.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-18-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:23 PM
Default Thank you; it worked

Thank you very much. Today that I had enough light and knowing that it should come off, I managed to disconnect it and I was very careful. I did not have energy to go and buy the electrical contact cleaner, but I am sure it would have helped. This cable has been sitting there for 13 years.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 490 Likes on 353 Posts

Interesting stuff. I have a motorola bluetooth kit sitting in its box ready to be installed in my 2001 XKR which already has the phone kit. Main reason for the install is to get a way of having digital audio in the car - and the original phone kit is not exactly brilliant.

I will have to run my own cables back to the CD changer for the stereo input, so it will be interesting to see what the audio quality is like. I can't imagine it will be perfect, given its bluetooth, but we shall see.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:36 AM

I could never get the AAI connector to work. Not behind the radio or at the cd or amp. Keep us informed. thanks

Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I could never get the AAI connector to work. Not behind the radio or at the cd or amp. Keep us informed. thanks
The Alpine AI-AUX will work on XK8/XKRs with navigation and premium audio, placed between the nav. unit and the amp. It will override the radio, not the CD-changer. Also a pre-amp (like the PAC LD-10) may be necessary to guarantee a level strong enough to trigger with your source.

I have no direct experience with other configurations (no nav, standard audio) and based on reports in the forums, YMMV.

Quick Reply: bluetooth add