XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

bluetooth add

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 510 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepaa
I could never get the AAI connector to work. Not behind the radio or at the cd or amp. Keep us informed. thanks
I've got the wiring diagram for the connectors, so I am just going to cut the wires and solder it straight on. If I am feeling really enthusiastic I will put some kind of relay in to switch the sources automatically.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PIE Switcher instead of the AAI Connector

@stevepaa
I think what you need is the PIE Switcher (ALP/Ai-AUX Ai-NET Audio Switcher)
http://www.pie.net/index.php?option=...=147&Itemid=40
ALP/Ai-AUX - ALP/Ai-AUX Ai-NET Audio Switcher/Auxiliary Input for select Alpine Ai-Net Radios - Accessories - Alpine - CD Changers - Precision Interface - Precision Interface - Discount Car Stereo.com - Detail
PIE ALP/AI-AUX Alpine AI-NET Aux Input Converter/Switcher
Amazon.com: PIE ALP/AI-AUX Audio Switcher/Aux Input for Alpine Ai-NET Radios: Electronics

Unplug the AI-Net cable from the radio and plug it into the PIE Switcher. Plug the AI-Net cable from the Switcher into the radio. Plug your Auxiliary Source (Bluetooth kit, MP3 Player, etc) into the Rout/Lout of the PIE Switcher.

If your Bluetooth kit has an R/L In, I believe that this will no longer be needed; you can simply take it out and discard it. The PIE Switcher will now do the job of switching between the CD Chnager and the Auxiliary Source (Bluetooth kit, MP3 Player, etc).

Old 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Received 151 Likes on 106 Posts

I tried that item. In fact, I still have it. Anyone want it cheap?

Old 04-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I might be interested. PM me of send me an e-mail at
glenn@raceinfo.com with what you want for it.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

I need some picures of the connectors from various years to find the correct mates. If any of you can find the time to remove your cubby boxes from the center armrest and find your proper connector and take a picture of it, I would sure appreciate it.

When I have this sorted out, I'll see if anyone wants a connector to use without cutting up the wires in the Jag.
Steve,

Did you ever get info on the other connectors (and where you can buy matching female connectors?). I've got the 18 yellow in my 2003 XKR, and would prefer to use a matching female to connect a blue tooth kit.

In parallel I'm looking for a PES (so I can use the OEM Jaguar blue tooth kit, rather than a 3rd part adapter), but I think the chances of finding one at a reasonable price are slim.

-Steve

Old 04-25-2011, 12:35 AM

I have the connectors for the ten pin connector. I think I have a PES. Do you know which pn you need? I'll have to look a the wiring circuit, I did not know 2003 had a factory bluetooth.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:33 AM

I have the connectors for the ten pin connector. I think I have a PES. Do you know which pn you need? I'll have to look a the wiring circuit, I did not know 2003 had a factory bluetooth.
My car appears to have the 18 pin connector (see attached - though I've just realized I need a better photo to show all pins). I've found this on the electrical schematics (RC1) - I was looking for a female to fit it.

The alternative is to add a PES (and brackets), and the blue tooth module. I believe the PES I need is C2N3421 , and the blue tooth module is C2N3835. However I realize this route could get expensive unless I can find the full set (modules, microphones, brackets and perhaps even the shallower 'cubby' box). But, it would give integrated steering wheel and ( i think) radio controls).

If I can't find the parts at reasonable price, I'm thinking of going either the TK30 or Parrot MKi9100 route. I'm wondering if the display for either of those could be fittted neatly into a spare coin tray with careful dremel use! The dimensions seem close....

-Steve

Attached Thumbnails bluetooth add-rc1-small.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 07:43 AM

... I did not know 2003 had a factory bluetooth.
I believe that it is now an option - if the PES is there you can add a Jaguar module (replaces the original Motorola phone) and gives bluetooth plus the steering wheel/radio integration. However, my car doesn't have the PES. I'm currently investigating both the OEM Jaguar and the 3rd party approaches.

I've attached the JPEC page which shows (I think!) what I need, except it doesn't include the short harness between the 18-pin connector and the PES itself.
-Steve

Attached Thumbnails bluetooth add-bluetooth-fromjpec.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 08:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Just helped another member with a Parrot Mki9200 install on a 2001 XK8 with nav. and premium audio. Used the XK8 phone connector for phone audio from the Parrot speaker outputs with a line level converter as well as muting and the PIE ALP AI-AUX for music streaming from the Parrot Line outs. Very nice result !
It has a wireless remote that can be mounted on the steering wheel, which not only controls the phone but the straming audio also.

Planning a write up soon...but too busy at the moment.

Attached Thumbnails bluetooth add-img_4053.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-25-2011 at 08:16 AM. Reason: mki9200, not 9100
Old 04-25-2011, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
Just helped another member with a Parrot Mki9200 install on a 2001 XK8 with nav. and premium audio. Used the XK8 phone connector for phone audio from the Parrot speaker outputs with a line level converter as well as muting and the PIE ALP AI-AUX for music streaming from the Parrot Line outs. Very nice result !
It has a wireless remote that can be mounted on the steering wheel, which not only controls the phone but the straming audio also.

Planning a write up soon...but too busy at the moment.
Looks nice - especially the custom wallpaper on the Parrot. Is the remote in there somewhere? (I can only see the display).

At this point, I'm leaning towards the TK30 or the MKi9100 because I'm hoping that the smaller display can be somehow fitted 'flush' where the coin tray goes. My preference would be the TK30, but I think the display/controller is slightly too large. Have you ever fitted either of these units into an XK?

-Steve

Old 04-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by thefixer
Looks nice - especially the custom wallpaper on the Parrot. Is the remote in there somewhere? (I can only see the display).

At this point, I'm leaning towards the TK30 or the MKi9100 because I'm hoping that the smaller display can be somehow fitted 'flush' where the coin tray goes. My preference would be the TK30, but I think the display/controller is slightly too large. Have you ever fitted either of these units into an XK?

-Steve
The remote control is quite compact (see photo), but at the time of the photo the owner had not decided where he wanted to mount it. Personally, I think on the top of the steering wheel center would be ideal. No, I have not fitted any others.

Also, I think the owner is also relocating the display now to the right of the center console, just below the wood, to the left of the glove box, and tilted on a mount toward the driver. IMHO this is a better location for visibility and aestetics.

Attached Thumbnails bluetooth add-parrot-mki9200.jpg  

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-25-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I fitted MKI-9200 to a 2003 S-Type (non-premium sound) over a year ago and honestly, it is head-n-shoulders above the factory BT option found in the wife's 05 (also non-premium sound.) Firstly, no audio streaming on the OEM module...but even beyond that..outgoing voice-quality of the Parrot is far better, as well.

Now as to the remote.......it is my daughter's car, and long-term, my plan is to turn a shift knob out of some oak from a tree that died in the yard and craft the top on an angle and with features for mounting the remote. Best-laid plans and all that...so in the interim, we just stashed it loose in the relief around the elec. park brake release. Disappeared after some months. (She still SWEARS it's in the car somewhere) but I managed to find one on the interweb for <$30 and used the little elastic strap that came with the unit for attaching it to the steering wheel. That didn't last long, we tried several different positions, all inside the wheel and it kept getting jarred loose. For now, she has it stuck to one of those 4" round discs you get with a nav-unit for mounting the suction-cup to a non-porous surface.

Still think the shift knob is the ideal place for it...and knob doesn't match the rest of the woodworks anyway, so no big deal there...but I suppose I need to bump it up the priority list....

Old 05-01-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1

Now as to the remote.......it is my daughter's car, and long-term, my plan is to turn a shift knob out of some oak from a tree that died in the yard and craft the top on an angle and with features for mounting the remote. Best-laid plans and all that...so in the interim, we just stashed it loose in the relief around the elec. park brake release. Disappeared after some months. (She still SWEARS it's in the car somewhere) but I managed to find one on the interweb for <$30 and used the little elastic strap that came with the unit for attaching it to the steering wheel. That didn't last long, we tried several different positions, all inside the wheel and it kept getting jarred loose. For now, she has it stuck to one of those 4" round discs you get with a nav-unit for mounting the suction-cup to a non-porous surface.

Still think the shift knob is the ideal place for it...and knob doesn't match the rest of the woodworks anyway, so no big deal there...but I suppose I need to bump it up the priority list....
Yes - reading the various reviews online, I like everything about the Mki9100 except the remote - I can't really see where to put it without it getting in the way and/or being inconvenient. I've been trying to find if there's anyway to get it to work with the steering wheel controls, but that seems to be impossible (though I think the 'answer' and volume up/volume down will work (if it's connected into the head unit via the connector between the seats).

The alternative I'm looking at is the Motorola TK30. Then I only have the single display/remote to mount, and for that I'm looking at modifying (or making an insert) for the coin tray just in front of the radio. However the display unit is a little larger than the Parrot, so I might have to 'modify' the coin tray and/or display to fit.

I think (if it works) the idea of putting the Parrot remote in the shift knob is a good one - if you do it, I'd be interested to see photos.

-Steve

Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I realize this is an old post, but I've been searching for info on installing a Parrot Mki9200 Bluetooth into my 2000 XK8 non-premium sound sys with nav and ran across this thread and others. Seems the more I read the confuser I get. Questions I have: I haven't been able to find a plug-n-play adapter, is there one (I have the white 10 pin plug in the arm rest)? I would like to play music thru the Parrot; do I need anything other than the Parrot for installation? WhiteXKR did you ever do a write up?

We are planning a "bucket list" cruise around the US this winter and thought the Parrot would be a nice addition. Anyhelp/advice will be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eagledancer
I realize this is an old post, but I've been searching for info on installing a Parrot Mki9200 Bluetooth into my 2000 XK8 non-premium sound sys with nav and ran across this thread and others. Seems the more I read the confuser I get. Questions I have: I haven't been able to find a plug-n-play adapter, is there one (I have the white 10 pin plug in the arm rest)? I would like to play music thru the Parrot; do I need anything other than the Parrot for installation? WhiteXKR did you ever do a write up?

We are planning a "bucket list" cruise around the US this winter and thought the Parrot would be a nice addition. Anyhelp/advice will be appreciated.
Sorry, I got caught up in other projects....I will try to get it done over the Thanksgiving holiday at the latest. There are a number of additonal items you will need.

There is no plug and play adapter, but I can make one for you for a nominal cost. There is also other equipment needed.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 11-17-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:35 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Eagledancer its somewhat unfortunate you happen to have a 2000 year car (like me).

I say that because particular to the 2000 year model only they had a trunk mounted phone unit ... so the wiring from the connector under the center armrest doesn't go straight to the radio as it does in all other year cars. It goes back to some connectors in the trunk (they come out in the trunk at the base of the bulkhead behind the rear passenger seats, lift the spare wheel out to see it).

What this means is some of the signal wires on the armrest connector aren't connected to anything without the trunk module installed (Mute is one example) , so you have to do some trick wiring to jump from one connector to another in the trunk.

It took me a while to figure out which wire goes where from the radio and armrest connector to the trunk connectors. I don't think I still have my notes any more. sorry. Just do like I did though and get a hold of the car wiring diagrams, and do some work with a multimeter and you can soon figure it out.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-18-2011 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
eagledancer (11-18-2011)
Old 11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

...So I found out recently that for 2006 victory edition XK8s & R's only, they actually come with bluetooth support, but (at least visibly) it still seems to be the same old premium stereo unit most of us got in our cars. It still has the cassette slot etc. which by 2006 is a definate anachronism.

My bet is that Jag came up with an OEM bluetooth module that simply plugs in to the same connector under the armrest we've all been hacking our different solutions into.

You might find it a whole lot easier just to verify that 2006 victory edition cars have identical stereo and connector wiring to every other XK8/R, then if so, identify and obtain the same bluetooth module they use in the 2006 victory edition cars that have it. That approach should be easier and have a massive advantage that it would integrate properly so all the stereo's phone functions and steeering wheel controls etc. work properly.

I'd be really interested to know if anyone explores this path. Please post what you find here.

Last edited by JustNiz; 11-18-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:15 PM

MY 2000 XK8
Connector RT3 is under the center console and is where you will pick up all the connections for Bluetooth.
RT3 is a 10 pin type 070 multi-lock connector plug AMP 174465-1 with mating connector receptacle AMP 174932-1. The 174465-1 plug uses 173630-1pins (or similar) and the 174932-1 receptacle uses 175030-1 pins (or similar)
The connectors in the trunk RT2 and RT5 are type 040 connectors with 12 and 16 pins respectively. Both RT2 and RT5 have wires that lead directly to RT3 so you need to jump wires between the two connectors to enable the pins in RT3. Use pins 173682-1 for jumpers.
Connections to RT3
RT5-8 connects to RT3-1
RT5-13 connects to RT3-2
RT5-7 connects to RT3-3
RT5-4 connects to RT3-4
RT5-3 connects to RT3-5
RT2-8 connects to RT3-6
RT5-12 connects to RT3-7
RT2-6 connects to RT3-8
RT2-1 connects to RT3-9
RT5-14 connects to RT3-10

The signal lines you need are
+ 12v battery brown/red stripe RT2-10
+ 12v ignition green RT2-2
mute white with black stripe RT5-5
audio + blue RT5-10
audio - blue with yellow stripe RT5-11
mic + yellow RT2-11
mic - braid RT2-12
ground black RT2-4

jumpers to mimic RT3 connector pin location for other years
for audio - on RT3-1 jump RT5-11 to RT5-8
for audio + on RT3-2 jump RT5-10 to RT5-13
for mute on RT3-3 jump RT5-5 to RT5-7
for mic + on RT3-4 jump RT2-11 to RT5-4
for mic – on RT3-5 jump rt2-12 to RT5-3
for ground on RT3-6 jump RT2-4 to RT2-8
for 12 v bat on RT3-8 jump RT2-10 to RT2-6
for 12 v ign on RT3-10 jump RT2-2 to RT5-14

The following 2 users liked this post by stevepaa:
eagledancer (11-18-2011), OregonJag (11-19-2011)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stevepaa

I have been trying to find the two connectors in the trunk you mentioned for the 2000 MY but have been unable to locate. I've taken the trunk apart including the alum. plate in front of the gas tank. Tire out, panels out, but no joy. The only non-connected plugs I found was a small one blade and a 3 blade. What color are the connectors and could they be behind the rear seat?

Old 11-19-2011, 02:07 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by eagledancer
Stevepaa

I have been trying to find the two connectors in the trunk you mentioned for the 2000 MY but have been unable to locate. I've taken the trunk apart including the alum. plate in front of the gas tank. Tire out, panels out, but no joy. The only non-connected plugs I found was a small one blade and a 3 blade. What color are the connectors and could they be behind the rear seat?

I do not have a 2000, but according to JTIS, RT2 and RT5 are in the center console, not the trunk.

Quick Reply: bluetooth add