XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth options TK30 or T605?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bluetooth options TK30 or T605?

I've read through the many informative threads on adding bluetooth, and am trying to make a decision on which way to go for my 2000XK8 which doesn't have the premium audio or navigation.

From what I've read it looks as though both the Motorola TK30 and T605 would work for my needs (phone & music), while some additional hacking allows keeping the CD changer as long as it continues to work. And it looks as though both are available NOS at good prices with the T605 being slightly cheaper.

From what I can work out, the differences include:
TK30 T605
2 phones active only 1 active (though multiple pairs)
larger UIM includes display smaller UIM
BlueTooth ver 2.2 BT ver?? (not sure if significant)

Anyone have any input on the pro/cons of either of these?

Also, for general info, none of the custom wiring harness options or the Alpine AI-net Aux splitter appear to be available, so the superbly documented hacking options look to be the only way to go nowadays.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
I've read through the many informative threads on adding bluetooth, and am trying to make a decision on which way to go for my 2000XK8 which doesn't have the premium audio or navigation.

From what I've read it looks as though both the Motorola TK30 and T605 would work for my needs (phone & music), while some additional hacking allows keeping the CD changer as long as it continues to work. And it looks as though both are available NOS at good prices with the T605 being slightly cheaper.

From what I can work out, the differences include:
TK30 T605
2 phones active only 1 active (though multiple pairs)
larger UIM includes display smaller UIM
BlueTooth ver 2.2 BT ver?? (not sure if significant)
I can't comment on the T605, but I have fitted the TK30 in my '03 XKR (you probably saw the thread with photos on that)

After doing several firmware upgrades I'm very pleased with it, except for one really annoying problem, which occurs with my Samsung Galaxy S3 (it didn't occur with my older HTC phone). I've not had a chance to try with any other phones.

If I start playing music from a USB stick before the phone has connected and synched all of its contacts (and I have about 1,000 contacts, so that can take a while), then the TK30 will randomly freeze mid song. It will usually unfreeze eventually, but twice (in three years) I've had to disconnect the battery to reset it. Normally I just remember to not play any music from USB until the contacts have synched....probably about 3 minutes. If I forget, I switch over to FM....

If it wasn't for that bug I'd give it a 9/10. I'd have given it a '10' except for one missing feature. If you navigate through the menus, it will 'speak' the menus (e.g. "Music", "USB Music", "Play Folders". This is great for navigating the menus while you are driving (because you can watch the road, not the display, and it's very easy). But....once you are trying to select an artist or folder it doesn't support Text to Speech - so you then have to look at the display. If they had added TTS technology for navigation through your music collection...

I really wanted a unit with a display. The only suitable alternatives seem to be the Parrot units. I now think these are probably better (less buggy) as my Bro In Law swears by them (having owned several models). When I purchased the TK30 I was looking for something that could be integrated into the interior (I fitted it in the coin tray), and that's definitely the case - it looks like it came with the car, and is very discrete. Phone and audio quality is great.

Let us know what you choose! ( I have wondered about getting a Parrot and opening it up to 're-case' it so it would fit in a modified coin tray...but I have a lot of other jobs to do before I get to that!

-Steve

Old 07-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Steve,
Many thanks. I think you've convinced me the TK30 is the way to go - I think I can live with the gremlins, especially since if they strike, I'll know they aren't unique!
Actually I hadn't found your pictures - they were hiding in a thread about the an Alpine AI-net switcher not working which I had skipped since I had given up on sourcing one. But now I have found them, and they are great. Completely answered one of my big questions which was where/how to mount the UIM.

One other question, having re-read some of the threads - did a more recent version of the TK30 firmware solve the cell tower announcement issue, or did you just find a way to turn that off?

Old 07-26-2014, 04:34 PM
Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnT
Steve,

One other question, having re-read some of the threads - did a more recent version of the TK30 firmware solve the cell tower announcement issue, or did you just find a way to turn that off?
Yes - the latest version of the firmware does not announce when the signal is lost/restored (you cannot imagine how annoying that was!). It does display it on the screen though (which is useful). It does still announce if the phone goes into 'roaming' mode, but that happens very infrequently for me, so isn't an issue.

Note - I have copies of the most recent firmware, so if you can't find them online I'd be happy to send them to you. I originally found that the ones on Motorola's web site were somehow corrupted, but a dealer had also posted them, and those copies were good.

One final thing. I had originally bought a 64gb high-end USB stick ( Crucial) because I thought it would survive the summer heat in the car better. It caused some issues with the TK30, but when I replaced it with a cheap Sandisk I had no problems at all.

Let me know how the project goes - I'm also interested to know if there's any later firmware than what I'm running (I've never found any online, but you will be able to check yours when you get it)

-Steve

Old 07-26-2014, 05:00 PM

I just hit the buy button on a TK30, and now have to really map out the project and start collecting all the other bits I'll need.
Glad to hear the announcements sorted - I too think I can live with the roaming one.

Interesting re the firmware: I had found a set of files on the Motorola support site when I went looking for the manual, but absolutely no info on which version that is, or when it was posted! So I'm somewhat in the dark as to whether that is the latest version, and whether corrupted!

And since at the moment I have no idea which software version I'll find in the one I'm buying, I think it makes infinite sense to take you up on the offer of a copy of the version you are using.

Many thanks.