XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

BLUETOOTH QUESTION

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLUETOOTH QUESTION

Seasons Greetings to everyone.I have a 2002 XK-8 convertible and want to retro-fit my existing premium alpine radio system so that the controls can operate my cell phone via bluetooth. Is there anyway I can do this so that I can use the existing phone buttons on the factory-installed radio? The dealer tells me my system would need to be wired with an after market kit but that they no longer do this type of installation. I would think the bluetooth device can be concealed under the dash. Can this be wired to my radio? I want to use the existing car speakers to listen to incoming calls but am notsure if there is a microphone somewhere that would pick up my voice as I respond to calls. Am I making any sense? I just want to keep my car original and am reluctant to install one of the bluetooth devices that work separate from the existing phone buttons on my factory-installed console. My VIN number is SAJDA42C52NA26679if that helps. Not sure this is actually doable. I tried addressing this with several auto radio installers and they say it can't be done, that I have to use the controls on the installed bluetooth device. Not sure if they are just giving me lip service to avoid a tedious installation. Any experience you have with this issue would be much appreciated. Thanksfor your assistance!

Old 12-06-2008, 02:56 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts
Default RE: BLUETOOTH QUESTION

I am leaning towards a no to your question, as I have not heard of anyone successfully accomplishing it. I think the phones in our earlier xks were hardwired, not 'bluetooth' enabled, therefore, i don't see how a bluetooth system could be integrated using the buttons on your deck and steering wheel. You can keep looking though. The existing deck has a mute function/wire (used with the nav voice), so using your deck is possible as a pathway for the caller's voice, but you won't be able to turn on/off the calls w/o that aftermarket piece. As for a mic, that part I am unsure of. Make sense?

Old 12-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, that seemes to confirm what the installer said. Like you stated, he said the incoming call would be heard through my existing speakers but I would have to use the buttons on the installed bluetooth device to make and accept calls. Still not sure about the microphone. I guess the problem I have now is where to put the device. I don't want to mess up the look of that gorgeous interior.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:47 AM
Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an 06 XK8 with the Factory Bluetooth option. The steering wheel has 'phone' buttons. And the stereo has 'phone buttons'. However the only function the stereo does is answer the call and even then intermittently. You cannot dial out using the key pad. You can't even use the PHONE button on the steering wheel to answer an incoming call.

The microphone is mounted on the ceiling next to the light console (convertible). With the top up the system works quite well. With the top down it's pretty hard to carry on a conversation at freeway speeds - And the call quality is very unstable. Sometimes I can carry on a conversation at 75 no problem. But most of the time the conversation is impossible.

Caller ID info does show up on the stereo display. I recently gota new AT&T fuze. With Voice command turned on on the phone I could not answer calls in the car - however my custom ring tones did play through the car stereo. Hopefully with a software upgrade to the phone this will be a functioning option Kind of stupid to have a phone that rings through the stereo but can't be answered.

On a different note, I installed a Harmon Kardon IPOD Controller. I connected it via the tape deck. According to the Harmon website there will eventually be a Bluetooth add-on module.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You may want to have your dealer look at your
bluetooth module since your car is still under warranty
I had an 06 also and all the functions on the steering wheel
worked. I was able to run through my phonebook with
the steering wheel buttons, answer and end calls also.
The buttons on the radio also alowed me to dial #,
I remember when I first got the car they replaced the bluetooth
module that came from the factory with a newer one. It's worth a shot

Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

o2
Where did you obtain HK ipod controller?
Does 06 still have a tape deck?
I am looking for a way to play my ipod through the factory stereo. I'd like to be able to control the ipod with the factory stereo controls.
Don't want to go the route of the wireless fm modulator.
So how's the HK ipod control working for you?
chad

Old 12-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Chad,

The 06 has the tape deck. The HK Unit has a wireless controller so that is on the center console to the right of the shifter. The display screen is under the dash on the right side of the footwell. The wire for the tape runs through the dash and comes out right above the tape deck.

I did the installation myself in about an hour. There was only 2 wires to connect to the car stereo - Ignition and constant. Then I fished the wire for the IPOD into the glove box, so it's locked up and unseen.

The HP has a nice bright color screen, and the system works really well. Sound is perfect. The only issue I have is that I have a 160gig IPOD with over 60,000 songs. Sometimes it takes awhile to get to what I am looking for.

It's dark here, but maybe tomorrow I will take photos of the installation if you are interested. It's pretty simple and clean.

I bought ethe HK DPUS2 on ebay for about $250. I bought a DP US 1 (with the monochrome screen) which you can buy for about $25 online and at Best Buy. But I figured it was worth the money to get the color screen and the wireless controller to make the installation cleaner and easier.

Dave

Old 12-22-2008, 08:07 PM

Old 12-23-2008, 07:02 AM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice, nice, nice.
I too have become addicted to the ipod use in the car.(don't have the size library you do though).
I like the fact that when the mood strikes me for a particular album I have it right there with me.
What I've seen so far that integrates with the factory stereo relies too much on playlists and does not display song information. Looks like the HK unit covers all of that.
Thanks for the pics.
Chad