XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Bonnet Vents, an improvement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I actually like it better without the grille in them. Even though I put the Mina lower grill on... Go figure...

Attached Thumbnails Bonnet Vents, an improvement?-img7430j.jpg  
Old 12-14-2012, 01:16 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Where are these on ebay--are you talking about the UK ebay?

I might be interested at the right price. On a slight tangent another "cosmetic" add-on I have been interested in are the billet strut covers. I explored these once but the cost was just a bit more than I wanted to pay.

Does anyone have the connections here to get group purchases going for theset types of items?

Doug
the woven grill mesh that they are made of is for sale on ebay.you have to cut it to size fit .look under s type on ebay

Last edited by dennisw; 12-14-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 01:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 580 Likes on 477 Posts

You will have to fix the smaller end of the vent shape some how as the mesh will fall apart quite easily, this also comes apparent at the rounded corners. This is why we weld in the stainless surrounds.

This also explains why some people use expanded metal, but this looks crap IMO

The following users liked this post:
Frog (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 03:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by xenophobe
I actually like it better without the grille in them. Even though I put the Mina lower grill on... Go figure...
I think you made exactly the right choice there on a black car. Looks just right the way you have it.

I also realised that as I have blacked out my front grill, putting silver mesh under the bonnet louvres would look odd and black mesh would be all but invisible.

Attached Thumbnails Bonnet Vents, an improvement?-main.jpg  

Last edited by Frog; 12-15-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 539 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by dennisw
the woven grill mesh that they are made of is for sale on ebay.you have to cut it to size fit .look under s type on ebay

There is a point of diminishing returns. If you have to buy the raw stuff, start futzing around with cutting and fitting it, and then having it look like crap in the end that is not worth it.

I thought perhaps the finished manufactured product ready to just clip in was available on ebay. So who are these available from and at what cost. MinaGallery is a couple of miles from my house and I am guessing they either make or can make these. I was there one Saturday watching the guys make the mesh grills for various cars. They had stacks and stacks of the bare mesh and workers cutting, shaping, and finishing for different applications. Obviously very profitable if you have the right tools and the laborers.

Doug

Old 12-15-2012, 12:13 PM
Veteran Member

I believe I am the only one who makes them, I have not seen anyone else produce and sell them like I do........

Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XKRacer
I believe I am the only one who makes them, I have not seen anyone else produce and sell them like I do........

So you are actually with Paragon? Any chance of discounts for forum members? Perhaps some packages? What I would consider are the bonnet vent mesh, front license plinth and lower small side grill pieces, and the billet strut covers. Is it best just to email Paragon directly for quotes?

Doug

Old 12-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Frog
I think you made exactly the right choice there on a black car. Looks just right the way you have it.

I also realised that as I have blacked out my front grill, putting silver mesh under the bonnet louvres would look odd and black mesh would be all but invisible.
Thanks, and your car looks amazing like that! If my car weren't black, I'd do mine just like that.

You could always get a black grille for your lower too!

Old 12-15-2012, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
So you are actually with Paragon? Any chance of discounts for forum members? Perhaps some packages? What I would consider are the bonnet vent mesh, front license plinth and lower small side grill pieces, and the billet strut covers. Is it best just to email Paragon directly for quotes?

Doug
C'mon Doug you are not telling me with everything I have posted up in the past you have only just realised that!!!

Not so much with Paragon but I am Paragon...... That sounds like I am up my own **** but I don't mean it to be..... I am an enthusiast, I love these cars and happy to share what I know

Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

C'mon Doug you are not telling me with everything I have posted up in the past you have only just realised that!!!

Not so much with Paragon but I am Paragon...... That sounds like I am up my own **** but I don't mean it to be..... I am an enthusiast, I love these cars and happy to share what I know
I never really thought it through. I always knew you were somehow associated with Paragon but did not think you were full-time with them let alone were them. Guess I am dense.

That being said and if, indeed, you are Paragon--how about offering some killer deals to us Jaguar Forum members?

Doug

Old 12-15-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran Member

I will try to offer deals when asked and give discounts when ever possible, this is often either in a form of a percentage off, free shipping or something else along those lines.
For me to knock a large amount off is not often easy as I try to make parts/items as cheap as possible as I am not a believer that all jag owners are minted and cost does not matter.

I also have to have a sense of loyalty and to be fair I have conversed with most of the regulars on here and if they come to me wanting goods or advice I do what I can

Old 12-17-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

It's deja vu! https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-anyone-48423/

If you DIY, the gauge of the stainless mesh is critical and per my original post; in hindsight I'd go the XKRacer/Paragon route.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Veteran Member

I remember that thread around the end of last year..... I did make a few sets up but nobody PMed me.

I am about to do another run of various grilles and can make a few sets of bonnet grilles if people are interested but to give a good discount I would need about 10 sets to be sold for which if I could would offer 20% off and free shipping

The following users liked this post:
Norri (12-17-2012)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I remember that thread around the end of last year..... I did make a few sets up but nobody PMed me....
I remember the thread - I just didn't have the car to go with the mesh at the time .

...I would need about 10 sets to be sold for which if I could would offer 20% off and free shipping
Please put me down for a set, either way.

Regards
Stuart