XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Booster Kit C2S15816

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 10:01 AM
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts
Question Brake Booster Kit C2S15816

How do you remove the plastic collar from the brass insert for the Brake Booster Kit? I've tried pulling on it but it doesn't want to come out. I haven't put a lot of force to it because I'm afraid of trashing it. I'd like to examine the O-ring in the brass insert while I have the manifold out of the car.

Thanks.

Old 05-08-2021, 10:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,502 Likes on 1,051 Posts

From memory, you have to "work" it. You have to push the hard plastic line further in, and simultaneously pull the black plastic collar out. I assume a lubricating spray can only help if it does not work easily the first time. You are right that this is not something that should require a lot of force. FWIW, that part is not listed for our cars, but is for the S-Type (go figure). You have a picture, so you have probably figured this out already.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-08-2021, 11:34 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

This is the part.

2 members with the same part needed/ Barry Tucker

To release it use a flat blade screwdriver and push the black collar forward while pulling the tube out easily.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

The four sections of the plastic collar latch behind a lip machined on the inside of the brass fitting. The effect of inserting the vac hose is to splay these apart and make an effective lock. You will see the metal barbs on the inside of the collar that retain the hose. It's similar to a push-fit plumbing accessory:

To release the collar from the brass fitting requires the four sections to be pushed inwards to clear the lip. Not easy to do as access is from inside the TB elbow.

Perhaps pushing from behind with a wood dowel or a short plastic rod - along with a good spray of silicone lubricant as suggested by fmertz - would work?

Confess I'd already damaged the collar on a previous job, so just used brute force and ignorance to remove it and replace with part of the kit. C2S15816 is around £10, so it's not a bad idea to have one on hand. You are far more likely to get the old one out intact if you do (Murphy).

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (05-09-2021)
Old 05-11-2021, 11:25 AM
Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh
The four sections of the plastic collar latch behind a lip machined on the inside of the brass fitting. The effect of inserting the vac hose is to splay these apart and make an effective lock. You will see the metal barbs on the inside of the collar that retain the hose. It's similar to a push-fit plumbing accessory:

To release the collar from the brass fitting requires the four sections to be pushed inwards to clear the lip. Not easy to do as access is from inside the TB elbow.

Perhaps pushing from behind with a wood dowel or a short plastic rod - along with a good spray of silicone lubricant as suggested by fmertz - would work?

Confess I'd already damaged the collar on a previous job, so just used brute force and ignorance to remove it and replace with part of the kit. C2S15816 is around £10, so it's not a bad idea to have one on hand. You are far more likely to get the old one out intact if you do (Murphy).

I suspected that the barbs kept it held in but I've read threads regarding this part and removing the plastic collar to check the o-ring condition. So I expected it would just pop right out without much force. Silly me. Access from the center of the intake doesn't seem practical. The access hole is too small and there's no room to maneuver. Oh well.

I agree that if I don't have a spare I'll be sure to break it. But if I have a spare I probably won't. It's not an expensive part but have to wait a week or two to have one delivered.

Thanks for the help.