XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Brief Honeymoon

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Great1GTO

I called the LSI folks and they told me they were no longer available and no further information. How long ago did you get yours? I would really like to add this to mine before the shower. The previous owner (original) told me the lines had been replaced once.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Received 6,363 Likes on 5,536 Posts
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,993 Likes on 2,128 Posts

Originally Posted by Utrider
I called the LSI folks and they told me they were no longer available and no further information. How long ago did you get yours? I would really like to add this to mine before the shower. The previous owner (original) told me the lines had been replaced once.
Although the valve performs significant peak pressure reduction, and this will likely extend the life of your hoses and the rest of your hydraulic system, it will not prevent eventual hose failure, especially since the hoses already have years of exposure to high pressure. Temperature and poor installation practices (tension on the fitttings) also take their toll.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 06-26-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Utrider
I JUST got it about 10 days tops. Ordered it on-line. I assumed it WAS the same one that I read so much about on here. If not, cudos to all the folks that either worked on the system improvements, or the many very good posts on trouble shooting these soft tops.

It did take a while to find their site and link to order the part. I guess it is possible that I somehow got their last one but you never know. I'd try ordering on-line and see if they fill the order. I saved the link as I thought I'd never find it again. I'm not sure they approve of me posting it here.

Can we send PM's on here?
Frank

Old 06-28-2012, 06:08 AM
Received 6,363 Likes on 5,536 Posts

Here's the link Jaguar Kit | LSI Controls, Inc.

They expect to have kits available in August.

Old 09-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Update

In the first 150 miles of ownership (the car is still well under 30K miles):

• Surging after cold start * (I can live with this if necessary...)
  • Hydraulic roof leak - Why a stupid hydraulic line all that way? Why not solenoids for the windshield header connections?? My leak is very slow so far; just a couple drops every time I drive--opened up don't see any fluid. Is it about to explode? Since the Allen key is missing from the boot I like to think the notorious long line has been replaced. Obviously I'm going to have to take care of this at some point. I pointed out the drops in the header grille to a friend--he was awestruck that hydraulic fluid was routed to that point to begin with.
  • Headrests do not function * Since this repair seems to be required over and over, I'm not going to bother with it. I'm only 6'-3" Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 73
Size:  234 Bytes
  • Rides like a 1940s pickup truck "jiggly" * I'd love to address this but it's not urgent compared to some of the other items.
  • The paint is astonishingly soft, as many have noted. Fortunately I am able to keep the car in a climate-controlled garage 24/7. As it is black though I have to rinse off the dust a lot!
  • What common XK8 problems does my car NOT have?? I'm touching wood with respect to throttle-body issues, but the TB in my XJ8 failed at 22,000 miles.

The car is still painfully beautiful. My Mercedes coupe and my Ford truck have both had zero faults since new but they lack a certain romantic appeal.

Frankly I'd consider selling the car but it's impossible to shift a car with so many issues. They're multiplying! I sold my XJ8 since I could foresee more and more air-suspension issues. The XK8 was similar (I thought) with good old-fashioned coilover shocks. Once upon a time I also had a Leyland-era Jaguar on which something new broke every time you drove it. This car is reminding me of that.

* How could I not notice this on PPI / Test Drive?!

PS: Why have I included so many links in the text above? It's so that if someone finds this post by searching, they'll be led to solutions. Also so I can come back to this thread and continue my work more easily Name:  icon_smile_tongue.gif
Views: 73
Size:  234 Bytes

Attached Images
File Type: gif
icon_smile_tongue.gif (234 Bytes, 23 views)
Old 09-16-2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,993 Likes on 2,128 Posts

The headrest problem can be fixed permanently if heatshrink with integral adhesive is used (or standard heatshrink with carefully applied epoxy). It can also be fixed permanently using the pipe union technique posted a few months ago.