XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

A buddy's "advice" - Jags can be problem children?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2021, 10:49 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A buddy's "advice" - Jags can be problem children?

As they say, opinions are like, well you know the rest.

As a new to Jag world and soon to be buyer of an XK (8 or R) I just sent a racing / car guy buddy of mine a link to a very nice 2010 XK-8. He told me he happened to be with a buddy of his who owns a Sport and Import repair shop. That guy's comments, when my buddy showed him the link, were:

"Be careful. They can be problem children."
"Jag has been owned by so many different companies over the last few years it's a sh*t show with parts."

Now, my buddy is a hard core BMW guy so I think there could be some bias there. As a newbie to the Jag world, it gave me a slight pause but I just don't seem to think that it is a fair comment considering what I've read as I start my research.

For background reference, I'm focusing on either a 4.2 L or 5.0 L XK-8 convertible, likely 2002 - 2010.

Understanding that I'm on a Jag forum (LOL) I'm certain there won't be many or any who agree but I've really appreciated the frankness of this group so I'm looking forward to hearing the other side of this guy's comments.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:48 AM
Received 193 Likes on 140 Posts

They can be pretty bad if the car hasn't been looked after but if they are looked after they are pretty good. Don't expect them to be trouble free though (no car really ever is) as there will be niggly bits like weird electrical problems.

The following users liked this post:
SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Kuddlesworth
They can be pretty bad if the car hasn't been looked after but if they are looked after they are pretty good. Don't expect them to be trouble free though (no car really ever is) as there will be niggly bits like weird electrical problems.
"weird electrical problems"?
I have a 1975 Triumph Spitfire (selling to get the Jag) with a Lucas Electric wiring system. Lucas invented the intermittent windshield wiper - just not intentionally!

Thanks

Old 10-29-2021, 12:20 PM
Received 2,692 Likes on 1,843 Posts

The vehicles you're considering, the XK8 (X100) and XK (X150) are very different vehicles. The X150 is a more modern design and handles better than the X100.

As with any luxury vehicle, the maintenance history is most important. On the 5.0 litre X150, make sure the cooling system has had the plastic pipes replaced, especially the water outlet in the front of the engine. The heater pipe between the cylinder heads is also a known failure point that can lead to catastrophic engine damage.

I always dismiss the comments from people who've never owned a Jaguar as hearsay. The German cars have their own set of issues and electrical problems, so it really comes down to personal choice. In my personal experience, having owned over twenty Jaguars, I have yet to experience any of the issues people keep talking about. Maybe I'm just lucky?

The following 2 users liked this post by NBCat:
CA Jag (10-30-2021), SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 12:23 PM
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I mean BMW's are fine pieces of engineering and everything... but yikes they're cold and ugly AF!

The following 2 users liked this post by Dickiederson:
Jkline398 (11-04-2021), SeabeeMike (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by NBCat
The vehicles you're considering, the XK8 (X100) and XK (X150) are very different vehicles. The X150 is a more modern design and handles better than the X100.

As with any luxury vehicle, the maintenance history is most important. On the 5.0 litre X150, make sure the cooling system has had the plastic pipes replaced, especially the water outlet in the front of the engine. The heater pipe between the cylinder heads is also a known failure point that can lead to catastrophic engine damage.

I always dismiss the comments from people who've never owned a Jaguar as hearsay. The German cars have their own set of issues and electrical problems, so it really comes down to personal choice. In my personal experience, having owned over twenty Jaguars, I have yet to experience any of the issues people keep talking about. Maybe I'm just lucky?
Thanks! Two learning points for me - I completely missed the X100 / X150 part & thanks for the info on the X150 cooling system. Looks like this research project is getting more complex, although, that's part of the fun. I guess I need to do the X100 to X150 comparison, which seems like more than the 4.2 L versus 5.0 L.

Absolutely agree about the hearsay.

Old 10-29-2021, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dickiederson
I mean BMW's are fine pieces of engineering and everything... but yikes they're cold and ugly AF!
Well, we've had a Z4, 328i & Mini Clubman. I've also had a 70 Cuda, 98 Firebird Formula, 79 Alfa Romeo Spider, 01Honda S2000 & 75 Triumph Spitfire - as far as "sporty" cars are considered. When looking for the replacement for the Spitfire (I have way too many neck & back issues to keep it) the XK caught my eye while I was searching. One look was all it took & I was smitten!

Dickiederson (10-29-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,409 Likes on 2,878 Posts

These XK8s/XKRs are drop-dead gorgeous. My wife says hers is the most beautiful car she has ever seen and that is indeed why we purchased it. As others have said, if you decide to step into the Jaguar world, there are two very important caveats: First, make certain the one you decide to buy comes with a full service history and all documentation. And second, you must be willing to DIY the majority of the maintenance and repairs. If you must pay someone else to do so, your checkbook can be drained in a heartbeat....

Spend some time reading the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Time well spent and you will come away with a much better understanding of what you are getting into....

And finally, this forum will serve as the absolute best tool in your toolbox. Post your issues here and you will be guided by experts from all over the globe. This is by far the best automotive forum I have ever been a part of....

The following 6 users liked this post by Jon89:
CA Jag (10-30-2021), DavidYau (10-29-2021), kstevusa (10-31-2021), NBCat (10-29-2021), SeabeeMike (10-29-2021), sklimii (10-30-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-29-2021, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Jon89
These XK8s/XKRs are drop-dead gorgeous. My wife says hers is the most beautiful car she has ever seen and that is indeed why we purchased it. As others have said, if you decide to step into the Jaguar world, there are two very important caveats: First, make certain the one you decide to buy comes with a full service history and all documentation. And second, you must be willing to DIY the majority of the maintenance and repairs. If you must pay someone else to do so, your checkbook can be drained in a heartbeat....

Spend some time reading the sticky threads at the top of this forum. Time well spent and you will come away with a much better understanding of what you are getting into....

And finally, this forum will serve as the absolute best tool in your toolbox. Post your issues here and you will be guided by experts from all over the globe. This is by far the best automotive forum I have ever been a part of....
Great point on the DIY, which I enjoy. The previous owner of our 1975 Triumph Spitfire spent over $23K, which was about $7K over concours value. He told me his wife finally asked him if he had any idea in how much he had spent on the car. Our advantage when we bought it. Point is, he did nothing himself.

Absolutely agree on this forum. It has already been amazing in a mere 48 hours!

The following 2 users liked this post by SeabeeMike:
jimmiejag (11-04-2021), piper 888 (10-30-2021)
Old 10-29-2021, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,419 Likes on 755 Posts

SeabeeMike,

+1 to Jon89. He knows his stuff.

With your history, you obviously know the right end of a wrench. In my case I deliberately decided on a 99MY X100 Emerald green convertible as it needed work as it had sat in storage for 2 years. I wanted a project car and ended up with a reliable daily driver for 3 years. I do regret selling it but I’ve been away for a year and didn’t want the car to again be sitting in storage. It needs to be driven and enjoyed.

The AJ27 4.0L engine is relatively easy to work on, plus the suspension upgrade with PU parts was straightforward. My only problem was the CAN BUS/module programming but a local Range Rover independent mechanic had all the software.

This forum helped tremendously even when I was stuck in the middle of a job. I am in the mode of making my cars better with hidden upgrades like a stainless steel sports exhaust. There’s lots to chose from out there for the X100. Also I found a junked scrap car which I could raid for the troublesome interior plastic bits. The availability/ cost of these small plastic bits is eye-watering but recently 3D printers are coming through with the NLA bits.

I can’t comment on the X150, but for the X100 the 2003-2006 Gen3 is the right car to go for. A lot of the earlier problems had been fixed.

You asked for “buddy advice” and you’ve come to the right place.

The following 2 users liked this post by DavidYau:
piper 888 (10-30-2021), SeabeeMike (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by DavidYau
SeabeeMike,

+1 to Jon89. He knows his stuff.

With your history, you obviously know the right end of a wrench. In my case I deliberately decided on a 99MY X100 Emerald green convertible as it needed work as it had sat in storage for 2 years. I wanted a project car and ended up with a reliable daily driver for 3 years. I do regret selling it but I’ve been away for a year and didn’t want the car to again be sitting in storage. It needs to be driven and enjoyed.

The AJ27 4.0L engine is relatively easy to work on, plus the suspension upgrade with PU parts was straightforward. My only problem was the CAN BUS/module programming but a local Range Rover independent mechanic had all the software.

This forum helped tremendously even when I was stuck in the middle of a job. I am in the mode of making my cars better with hidden upgrades like a stainless steel sports exhaust. There’s lots to chose from out there for the X100. Also I found a junked scrap car which I could raid for the troublesome interior plastic bits. The availability/ cost of these small plastic bits is eye-watering but recently 3D printers are coming through with the NLA bits.

I can’t comment on the X150, but for the X100 the 2003-2006 Gen3 is the right car to go for. A lot of the earlier problems had been fixed.

You asked for “buddy advice” and you’ve come to the right place.
Thanks. As I learn / search more and more, I have pretty much focused on the 4.2 L models until I saw the X150. Being older (64) the added creature comforts and hard convertible cover (trivial I know) seemed to draw me in that direction. The more I looked in that direction, the more concerned I've become on turning my own wrenches. I definitely need to do my own side by side comparison. Using average numbers, it seems I could get in a 4.2 L X100 for about $5K - $8K lest than the X150. This for sure won't be a knee jerk purchase.

With all that said, I will be in touch with Jon.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

If you are looking for a dependable, easy working, no problem, and 'common as dirt' car, go with any BMW, or better yet, a Toyota Corona. You see 2-3 on every block, so they must be great, right??
If you are looking for something not everyone has, that requires a lot of TLC, but returns it double when all is running good, and a car that will not be seen every time you turn a corner, go with the Jag XK.
I don't like to stand out like a sore thumb, so I got rid of my Corvette. I inadvertently drive by cops at 20 mph above the limit(not intentionally of course), and they never give me a second look, unless their radar is up and running.
You have to decide your own route. Read all the forum entries, and have a Great Ride.

The following 2 users liked this post by SamtheSham:
jimmiejag (11-04-2021), SeabeeMike (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 09:45 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

Seabee Mike - also looking at the 2nd gen XK8 (03-06) vs XK (skip 07, 08-09). The latter is much more drivable and, I told, more reliable. Not that much difference in price out here. No comparison in the looks dept. An x100 is gorgeous (and I now I'm preaching to the choir here). X150 keeps some of the character and design cues but just doesn't compete.

The following 2 users liked this post by CA Jag:
jimmiejag (11-04-2021), SeabeeMike (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 857 Posts

2010 and up XK is asking for trouble

you want 03-06 or 07-09. if it’s 00-02 it must be an XKR.

Last edited by xalty; 10-31-2021 at 10:12 AM.
SeabeeMike (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 10:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 479 Likes on 323 Posts

I have an '06 and love it. A bit more 'Classic Look' than the '07 and later, but then each to their own. I would say check out both versions, talk to owners NOT selling, and see what fits best with you.

SeabeeMike (10-31-2021)
Old 10-31-2021, 12:45 PM
Received 204 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by xalty
2010 and up XK is asking for trouble

you want 03-06 or 07-09. if it’s 00-02 it must be an XKR.
Skip the 07 if possible unless it's a screaming deal or something. First year of production and has the 1950's style power antenna. 08-09 has the embedded (not visible) antenna. Nice cars just not the classic XK8 look.

Old 11-01-2021, 05:34 AM
Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts

Limited experience here, since I only just bought mine in March 2021, but I have had only one very minor issue with my 95,000 mile 2005 convertible. It was well-cared for and lived in salt-free states: your neck of the woods (SC) and Oklahoma. Mine was (as far as I can tell) 100% dealer serviced its entire life. The one minor problem was the oil-pressure sending switch, which was very cheap ($20) and easily replaced. Since then I've had to replace the driver's side brake light bulb. I drive it only 1-3 days a week and never in the rain, but it has been trouble free. I still smile every time I see it. Just gorgeous.

The following 2 users liked this post by Just Another Guy:
jimmiejag (11-04-2021), SeabeeMike (11-01-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 09:25 AM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

CB,
I have a 99 XK8 and a 74 Spitfire 1500. Both do what they were intended to do quite well. I enjoy the absolute simplicity of the Spit and the power and luxury of the Jag. I do most of my own maintenance and repair work and have not had major issues with either car. Both have around 80k miles on them and are garaged, so never see foul weather. But they are worlds apart in terms of what they are intended to do. My XK8 is my tenth Jaguar, so I am obviously not totally unbiased, but I think the XK8 is one of the best bargains available.
Fair winds and following seas.

SeabeeMike (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 09:46 AM
Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have two XKRs, (2001 & 2006), both purchased used Over the past four years of ownership, neither has experienced significant mechanical issues (knock on wood dash). Regular service (fluids & filters) done by local Jag shop is not much more expensive than a trip through the national lube chains and a far piece less than a similar lube job done on the dealer on the Lexus. To be fair, the Lexus comes back with a fresh washing and the dealer provides fresh coffee and wi-fi while you wait. One of the Jags came with some annoying intermittent tics like a "check rear lights" warning light (yellow light) which disables cruise control--never needed anyway--and leaky chrome wheel which are aftermarket adds by a misguided prior owner. There are some threads on this site re cause and repair of the check rear lights warning. Likely culprit is a short in the pressure sensitive micro switch on the brake pedal. A minor item in an awkward spot. The other (convertible) has an issue wit the automatic electric headrest adjusters (again, there is an extensive thread on this issue). Easy fix, but would require taking car off the road for a few days in the shop. I have learned to live with these flaws. I second the advice to buy a good one. I would look for low mileage examples in affluent dry-air retirement communities like Palm Springs or Scottsdale. Seems like older people were especially fond of these cats. Good luck.

The following 3 users liked this post by JRabbit:
CA Jag (11-04-2021), DavidYau (11-04-2021), SeabeeMike (11-04-2021)
Old 11-04-2021, 06:54 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SeabeeMike
Well, we've had a Z4, 328i & Mini Clubman. I've also had a 70 Cuda, 98 Firebird Formula, 79 Alfa Romeo Spider, 01Honda S2000 & 75 Triumph Spitfire - as far as "sporty" cars are considered. When looking for the replacement for the Spitfire (I have way too many neck & back issues to keep it) the XK caught my eye while I was searching. One look was all it took & I was smitten!
Hey there, just bought my 2000 XKR about 2 weeks ago.. You are overthinking this. I have driven just about everything affordable, so no I have not [cared to] even sit in a Lambo, Ferrari, Bentley, RR etc. I've heard about JAG and all its problems but when my wife wanted to look at a convertible xk8 because of the laughable LOW price, I ended up being the one that was blown away with how the XKR drove. We didn't have a convertible xk8 or xkr nearby so we looked at a coupe that was where we live and turned out being a 1 owner cream puff on consignment. I have always been a benz fan, the soft rack and pinion steering, great seats and boaty ride. These cars, in this year range ONLY, have seats as comfortable as (and drive like) a benz S-Class but without the boaty excess. These have the performance ride and power of a bmw M[fill in blank] without the shitty choppy ride. But it also has an 'S' button, yeah like you see in many cars nowadays that only makes the trans shift later for cheap thrills.. But no, this S button is the real deal.. Suspension stiffens, shift points alter, Torque Converter stays locked up, and I swear it seems the timing advances too, the thing turns into a race car if you desire it. It is by far what sets this apart from any other in its class, a Corvette is always a bumpy clumsy corvette, but the XKR is 2 cars in one, a smooth luxury long distance cruise mobile and a relentless track racer, with the push of a button and intelligent use of the J-gate shifter.

Will it have maintenance issues? Race it in S mode regularly and you will be working on it routinely (like any other car in the world) in your nice expensive maintenance facility stocked with top notch hourly mechanics. If you are not a police department or are like the rest of us, you will buy a car because you enjoy the ride and know it makes enough power for you, keep it in a garage so it will last longer, and take it to a top notch shop that specifically works on them (Jaguars/Land Rovers of the Ford era, very important that detail) at the proper intervals.

You might find out if you have a good british automotive shop in your area, that would be a big factor in your decision.

Last edited by Jkline398; 11-04-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: [cared to] added for better description of my attitude
SeabeeMike (11-04-2021)

Quick Reply: A buddy's "advice" - Jags can be problem children?