XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 09:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bushings

Hi all, Im a bit unfamiliar with the location of the "rear axel brace bushing" on the XK8's. Is this another term for rear sub frame? I have replaced every bushing on my car except for the whats labeled as rear axel brace bushings for sale on Powerflex. I can't find any videos on youtube with anyone replacing these or much in general. Would really appreciate if someone could post a picture with some arrows pointing to their location, maybe a bit of whats involved in doing the job? Im assuming the whole axel needs to come down. Looking forward to learning

Old 07-31-2023, 10:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,149 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by Creamy_Pixels
Hi all, Im a bit unfamiliar with the location of the "rear axel brace bushing" on the XK8's. Is this another term for rear sub frame? I have replaced every bushing on my car except for the whats labeled as rear axel brace bushings for sale on Powerflex. I can't find any videos on youtube with anyone replacing these or much in general. Would really appreciate if someone could post a picture with some arrows pointing to their location, maybe a bit of whats involved in doing the job? Im assuming the whole axel needs to come down. Looking forward to learning

l am only guessing here but l assume they are replacements for part #13 of the brace #12 in pic.
I cannot imagine them being suitable size to fit to diff pumpkin itself.

Old 07-31-2023, 10:55 PM

oh interesting, haven't seen that blow out diagram. Yea you're probably right. Will have to look for that next time I have it up in the air. An issue im having is my friend can let me use his garage and lift but only for one day on a weekend. This feels like a job that needs several days. Free of charge if I work on it but would cost 1000's if a shop did it. I've replaced most all the bushings but am still dealing with fairly harsh bumps depending on the type of bump or crack in the road. Often it feels amazing and like a new car, other times it feels harsh. My current one is a 2006 coupe. 40k miles. I had 97 convertible years back and don't really ever remember thinking twice about the ride quality. I wish I had another one to compare it to because part of me thinks Im just use to more modern cars and im being way too picky. Anyways having new bushings never hurt anything.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member

oh interesting, haven't seen that blow out diagram. Yea you're probably right. Will have to look for that next time I have it up in the air. An issue im having is my friend can let me use his garage and lift but only for one day on a weekend. This feels like a job that needs several days. Free of charge if I work on it but would cost 1000's if a shop did it. I've replaced most all the bushings but am still dealing with fairly harsh bumps depending on the type of bump or crack in the road. Often it feels amazing and like a new car, other times it feels harsh. My current one is a 2006 coupe. 40k miles. I had 97 convertible years back and don't really ever remember thinking twice about the ride quality. I wish I had another one to compare it to because part of me thinks Im just use to more modern cars and im being way too picky. Anyways having new bushings never hurt anything.
Changing out those bushes should take less than the one day. The lattice brace is relatively easy to get at and l am pretty sure it can be slid out without disturbing much else.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:29 AM

Thanks for the reply Baxtor, so can you confirm what your calling the lattice brace is what they're calling rear axel brace?

Old 08-01-2023, 01:35 AM

If you look at the diagram those four bushings could possibly be for part 6. It has what looks like four bushings as well. Think thats part of the sub frame? not sure

Old 08-01-2023, 02:39 AM
Veteran Member

If you look at the diagram those four bushings could possibly be for part 6. It has what looks like four bushings as well. Think thats part of the sub frame? not sure
Doubt that is the case if your pic is a true indication of the bushes size and design.
The bushes on the diff are bore size of 2 x 17 (#7) on the rear #6 and 2 x 20mm (#17) bore up front and the others are lower swing arm pivots (#18), design wouldn't work for them.

Last edited by baxtor; 08-01-2023 at 02:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cjd777 (08-01-2023)