XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buyer beware!! But I LOVE my XK8!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 01:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 515 Likes on 333 Posts

Imtaking it in this week to have the ac fixed and the thermostat, belt, metal housing and upper plastic radiator manifold replaced. I may as well have him check the tensioners at that point. Maybe it'll save a little labor time.
Anyone have an idea of the typical cost to check, and if needed p, replace the tensioners ?

Then later I'll replace brakes and rotors, and lastly exchange the hydraulic hoses.
I did a really rigged patch on the hose for the time being. I watched it while putting top down and saw the leak at the coupling so I cleaned the hose and used two part epoxy for plumbing fixtures. It actually holds and at least I can close the top! I even put some paper towels down under the lines and it only drips a fraction when it hits that last second of pressure. A friend that works on hydraulic systems said that little faint drip at the critical high pressure at the end of cycle probably keeps the latch safe. Until I can get the lines and pressure relief valve installed.

Old 04-14-2013, 10:28 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

We have probably all been close to where you are. I bought with eyes wide open (upper/lower tensioners, guides,chains and convertible hoses done) and still spent about $3500 in the first 4 months. Albeit, I did PM like the thermostat tower, cooling hoses,mirror replacement, antenna repair, and brakes but, I still had the rear hub bearings, seals and had to do the hoses again (installed the LSI org). I don't begrudge a penny I have spent. I love the car. I have yet to see a bad message on the console (touch wood). Ther is not a better looking car on the road. Fix the bugs, kill the dealer and enjoy your car.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by philhef
Imtaking it in this week to have the ac fixed and the thermostat, belt, metal housing and upper plastic radiator manifold replaced. I may as well have him check the tensioners at that point. Maybe it'll save a little labor time.
Anyone have an idea of the typical cost to check, and if needed, replace the tensioners ?

I paid $675 to have the secondary tensioners replaced (the primary tensioners are much more expensive and usually make a lot of noise and give plenty of warning before breaking so many of us have only done the secondaries). This was in MD in September when I bought my latest XK8. I received a similar quote in the Chicago area then too. These were from independent shops. The local dealer wanted $1400. Just checking them wouldn't be more than $100 I would guess.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

Light at the end of the tunnel!!!
Just picked up car from mechanic and for once, some good news!! Hydraulic lines replaced and what a MESS they found. Those hoses had been patched quite a few times. Amazing it ever worked at all. Had the thermostat, housing, manifold and belt replaced, ordered new brakes and rotors to be installed next week, and finally found leak on AC and only a hose replacement. Bill was over 1000 less than quoted!!
Can you believe my mechanic only charged me 400 to do the hydraulic hose replacement!!???!!
He said since he needed to do one for the experience, he only charged 1/2 price!!
Now to get my arden kit installed and my headlight led rings in.
Almost there!!

Old 04-26-2013, 06:49 AM
Received 6,307 Likes on 5,495 Posts

It sounds like you have a mechanic worth keeping.
Did the tensioners get the all clear?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Thumbs up Engine #

Here's whats involved in order to see your engine serial number. Stuff needed; small flashlight,your reading glasses, pen and paper, and a heavy rug or cushion. ( Note: if you weigh more than about 175 lbs.,just say screw it and go the dealer inquiry route.) Carefully put your rug or cushion up on the engine ,taking note of where the thin plastic tube for the overflow tank is located. It's plastic, and wants to break...like mine did. Cautiously slide up on the engine and have your light and pen and paper with you. Look down onto the top of the motor , a few inches back from the thermostat.There's a photo of it somewhere in the forum. Number is stamped into the aluminum, and hard to see,naturally. Write it down, check it twice, and climb off without breaking or bending anything. Fun wasn't it?

Old 05-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

Picking up car Monday.
Had the brakes and rotors replaced and the main AC hose which became a nightmare once he got into it. No idea it snaked from top of ac unit to bottom of engine. They had to drop front suspension and detach several parts of engine to get it installed. Ugh!! BUT he's not charging any more than quote.
I actually stopped by while he was doing it and was shocked at what he had to do. Didn't see that coming.
I also took the time to add my led rings to headlights since he had wheels off and pulled headlights for me. Can't wait to see them lit!!!
I guess now I'm down to new tires. CHA CHING!!