XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

C.D. Player E-01 Code

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C.D. Player E-01 Code

My C.D. player was working just fine. Now I get an E-01 code & it won't work. Tried green ejection button for whole casette on player & won't eject whole casett. Casette is stuck. Manual says take to Jaguar dealer which is usually expensive. Any help to resolve situation is appreciated.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 AM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by tommyzr
My C.D. player was working just fine. Now I get an E-01 code & it won't work. Tried green ejection button for whole casette on player & won't eject whole casett. Casette is stuck. Manual says take to Jaguar dealer which is usually expensive. Any help to resolve situation is appreciated.
this has happend to mine a few times.its a disc stuck..slide the cover open tap the front of the cassette and continue to pushing the eject button push release push release and it will eject...mine did ..try it

The following 3 users liked this post by dennisw:
Msterieus (01-24-2018), tlcarman (12-10-2012), tommyzr (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 04:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,861 Likes on 12,186 Posts

I've known a few who have had this issue and ejected the CD by sliding a small screwdriver underneath the magazine and lifting it whilst pressing the green Eject button. The magazine is held in place at the slot on the base at the left. Here's the base of the magazine:

C.D. Player E-01 Code-cd-magazine.jpg

This gets the magazine out but doesn't resolve the issue which is likely to happen again.

A better approach is:

1. remove the CD autochanger from the vehicle and open the case
2. rotate the eject drive toothed gear by hand to eject the magazine
3. reconnect the CD autochanger
4. power on the radio and select CD
5. wait for it to give 'no magazine' message
6. insert the CD magazine

Provided there was no damage to the CD eject mechanism in the first place causing it to stick, this fixes it. Only done this on an XJ8 but the XK8 should be the same.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Msterieus (01-24-2018)
Old 04-10-2012, 05:23 AM

you can get the cartridge out no problem..only dismantle cd unit as a last resort..

Old 04-11-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by dennisw
this has happend to mine a few times.its a disc stuck..slide the cover open tap the front of the cassette and continue to pushing the eject button push release push release and it will eject...mine did ..try it
Thank you so much for your help. I'll need to try this tomorrow as it's getting late here in Illinois. I just, prior to looking at your reply, took all the trim out of the trunk in preparation of "unbolting" the nav. & c.d. rack tomorrow. Hope your suggestion works.
Tom 2005 XK8 coupe ( just bought 3 wks ago with 31K miles on it)

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
I've known a few who have had this issue and ejected the CD by sliding a small screwdriver underneath the magazine and lifting it whilst pressing the green Eject button. The magazine is held in place at the slot on the base at the left. Here's the base of the magazine:

Attachment 18474

This gets the magazine out but doesn't resolve the issue which is likely to happen again.

A better approach is:

1. remove the CD autochanger from the vehicle and open the case
2. rotate the eject drive toothed gear by hand to eject the magazine
3. reconnect the CD autochanger
4. power on the radio and select CD
5. wait for it to give 'no magazine' message
6. insert the CD magazine

Provided there was no damage to the CD eject mechanism in the first place causing it to stick, this fixes it. Only done this on an XJ8 but the XK8 should be the same.

Graham
Graham & Dennis: Thank you both for your reply. I plan on trying each of your responses with taking out the c.d. player as a last resort. If indeed I cannot get it to work properly, there are quite a number of used ones on Ebay that are guaranteed to work ( I hope) for anywhere from $100 - $200. I figure that would be a lot cheaper than having the local Jag dealer remove, repair, reinstall the unit. This evening I took out the trunk trim in preparation of taking out the c.d. player & nav rack tomorrow... then read your replies. ... !!!
Thanks again!!
Tom 2005 XK8 coupe ( just purchased with 31K miles on it - near mint)

Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Default C.D. changer "fixed".

Thank you again Graham & Dennis. I used both of your methods & I don't know which one worked, but all of a sudden the cassette ejected. That's one less thing I'll need to pay for when visiting the local Jag. service dept on Monday ... having brake fluid & coolant flushed on my XK8 (2005 Platinum/black).

I did order a new Jaguar labeled cassette off the internet & will use that one just in case my original is defective. I think it'll be worth the $25. for a preventative maintenance item - if indeed that's the issue. Better than paying Jaguar service dept a wheelbarrow of money to "fix" it. Might even spray a very small amount of silicone lubricant in the changer mechanism.
If that doesn't work, then I'll get a guaranteed used one off the internet for around $100 - $150.

Tommzr

Old 04-14-2012, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by tommyzr
Thank you again Graham & Dennis. I used both of your methods & I don't know which one worked, but all of a sudden the cassette ejected. That's one less thing I'll need to pay for when visiting the local Jag. service dept on Monday ... having brake fluid & coolant flushed on my XK8 (2005 Platinum/black).

I did order a new Jaguar labeled cassette off the internet & will use that one just in case my original is defective. I think it'll be worth the $25. for a preventative maintenance item - if indeed that's the issue. Better than paying Jaguar service dept a wheelbarrow of money to "fix" it. Might even spray a very small amount of silicone lubricant in the changer mechanism.
If that doesn't work, then I'll get a guaranteed used one off the internet for around $100 - $150.

Tommzr
glad your sorted..had this happen a few time and i believe it is because i use copied disks that the cd cant read when they have been around for a while not because its a faulty machine..a second cartride is good idea any way for a quick disc change.good luck
Dennis

Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by dennisw
Thanks for the tip! I tried the flat head screw driver trick trying to lift the cassette from the bottom but found that when I started tapping on the cassette case with the butt end of a screw driver it ejected! After cleaning everything up I re-inserted the cassette. It worked for a while but I then got the same E-01 message. I tapped it again and it ejected fine. I guess I may need to buy a new cassette to keep this from happening again.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good evening guys.Should i understand then that the amps(above the cd changer i guess)has nothing to do wu=ith teh E-01 code ?I havea 98 XJ VP magazine stucked with 1 cd ,So if i repalce the changer i should be good ?I am trying to get this car to wher ei wants it to be - these are no longer made and i plan to keep this black beauty for years to come.If i plan to put come kickers speaker in teh trunk do i need to add additional amps ?I am in Alexandria VA and would liek a recommened location to get some electronic work done .Any suggestions / recommendations ?

Thanks- Happy Holidays.