XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

A/C Er Code

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2022, 03:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default A/C Er Code

Hi Fellow Members,

I have regularly been using my 1999 XKR and gone to start the car today and noted that the A/C display showed the "Er" message and none of the dashboard instruments showed any signs of working. However, the car did start and again none of the instruments or back lights, check engine, showed any signs of working. The car gear selector also stayed in park and no other gear is able to be selected. I have not tried the removal of the "torx plug", on the selector surround fascia as yet.

I did note that the alarm "Chirp" did not sound, as I unlocked/locked the car, but the indicators did flash, so I am assuming that the issue could be with the passive alarm sounder, acting as an security measure, due to the age of the batteries within the sounder....

I have installed a new heavy duty Varta battery last month, just to make sure all is well with the voltage and electronics.

Has anyone had a similar experience or able to shed any light on the "Er" code or potential issue....???

Cheers...

Old 11-11-2022, 08:20 AM
Received 8,323 Likes on 5,025 Posts

What code(s) displayed when the climate control panel 'self-test' is used?
There will be DTCs logged in the module if ERROR is displayed.

Old 11-11-2022, 10:25 AM

HI Motorcarman,
Having disconnected the battery and reconnected it after several hours, all appeared normal and then the instruments worked only to leave the rev counter reading 1500 rpm as i switched the engine off. Upon starting the car again, I was back to no instrumentation working....

However, having checked the codes on the A/C self-test, the codes; 14 and 23 appear and cycle through the display.

From my understanding :-
Code 14 is Water Temperature input malfunction instrument cluster.
Code 23 Refrigerant pressure switch - or leak from system.

I appreciate the A/C code as the system needs purging and checking, but as for the Code 14 --- This I have no idea as the temperature gauge was working, after letting the car warm up....

Any ideas....

Cheers

Old 11-22-2022, 06:51 AM

Just an update:

I have managed to establish the issue with the electronics. Having removed the; instrument cluster, gauges, checked, inspected, cleaned all the contacts with contact cleaner, the cluster came back to life upon re-installation. No errors or beeps where reported on the A/C unit upon switching on the ignition, but my THINKOBD 900 reader detected a misfire on cylinder nr 8.

It would appear, that the great British weather has a lot to do with causing the problems. With the car parked facing upwards, on a slight incline, rainwater has been passing through the louvres, on the XKR bonnet, dripping onto the ignition coil cover and weeping its way through and down to the rear coil pack, on cylinder (nr 8). This has caused the coil to miss-fire, due to water residing in the plug pocket. After syringing out 20ml of "clear water" from the plug pocket and cleaning the area and the plug, everything was reinstalled.

The car restarted. and purred as she should, with no errors at all and after driving for 30 miles the car performs flawless.....and no water present and back to good health.

Moral; check for condensation inside the cockpit and get some desiccated crystals, to absorb the moisture. If their is an issue with the engine running slightly lumpy, check the ignition coils and spark plug pockets for clear water in the bottom, clean it out and try again. It may save some time in trying to find the issues.

Cheers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Fast Freddy:
motorcarman (11-22-2022), zray (11-22-2022)