XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

A/C Leak

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2021 | 06:50 PM
|
Default A/C Leak

Have a nice green oily film around the crimped hose connection that is right next to the schrader valve, close to the firewall, slightly off center towards the right side; I assume this is the low side port..??
Looks to me like the hose crimp has failed....anyone have experience with this hose??

Researching this hose and I think it is C2N1700. One end bolts to the evaporator at the firewall.....have no idea where the other end actually goes other than down under the cylinder head on the left side....will need to get under the car to find where this hose goes. Hopefully I can access it to replace it, expect this is not going to be fun or easy.

Last edited by Lannyl81; 05-10-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-10-2021 | 08:20 PM
Veteran Member

I believe that line goes to the AC compressor. Take a picture of the area of the leak. If I think it is where I think the line will probably need to be replaced. It is in a tight area. I don't know if it can be replaced easily. The only time I have work on one the engine was out.

Old 05-11-2021 | 09:24 AM
|

Here is a shot of where the green oily film is at, hopefully it shows up. The green oily film is on both sides of the schrader valve. I was hoping it was a leaking schrader valve but the inside of the cap is clean.
According to some pictures I found on the internet, the C2N1700 hose runs from the evaporator to the A/C compressor. I will be getting under the car later today to see if I can get to the back of the compressor.

Old 05-11-2021 | 09:46 AM
Veteran Member

Be sure to check the bottom exterior casing of your compressor for that same green oily dye....

Is your HVAC system functioning normally?

Old 05-11-2021 | 09:54 AM
Veteran Member

Your setup is a little different than my 2000. Clean that area real good and run the AC. You can get a light for ACs that will illuminate the refrigerant at a auto parts store. If that is the port in the picture it is possible that the schrader valve is leaking.

Old 05-11-2021 | 10:16 AM
|

A/C works.....but not 100%....takes much longer than normal to cool down.
This is the low pressure port. I did very slightly loosen the schrader valve and re-tighten. But again, all clean inside.

I will clean the area off, then take it out today. We are in the 90's now and headed for 100's soon....A/C is a bit of "must have" this time of year around here.

Old 05-11-2021 | 01:22 PM
Veteran Member

I'd say the same, clean the area and see if that residue comes back after a while. That fitting looks in good condition. Maybe this is from an earlier attempt at a refill that sprayed out some of the oil. If your system is not empty, you can try and milk another season with one of those quick refill cans from the parts store.

The following users liked this post:
Stephjac (05-11-2021)
Old 05-11-2021 | 03:57 PM
|

Got under the XK8, found where that line attaches to the compressor. Looks like replacing the line is possible, not going to be fun getting the old line out or the new line in....if it comes to that.

Going to take to a A/C shop, as I do not have R-134A gauges nor a vacuum pump.....have them check for a leak in this area and add refrigerant.

Thinking I will start leaving the keys in the car and park it outside...................

Old 05-11-2021 | 04:26 PM
Veteran Member

It appears that Jaguar reverted to a single-piece hose in that position on later cars. At least there is a flexible section so the line will have some 'give'.

Originally Posted by Lannyl81
Looks like replacing the line is possible, not going to be fun getting the old line out or the new line in....if it comes to that.
It is, but you will definitely not enjoy it:- access is a bear. I managed to create a brand new leak at that joint when I replaced the compressor last year:

leak on suction side of compressor

Gus has a how-to on replacing the compressor. There's a couple of pics that may help you:
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Arm yourself with a 3/8" (or even 1/4") drive set plus lots of extensions. Torque on the connection clamp bolt is 8Nm

I'm going to wait until the A/C stops blowing cold before I go back in there.

Old 05-12-2021 | 10:05 AM
|

Not only is this a one piece line/hose...but there is the suction muffler to contend with. This is what is going to be the main issue in replacing the line....getting the muffler past the motor mount. Looks like I will have to pull the old line towards the rear and then push the new line forward.

Maybe I will get lucky and the leak will be fix'able without removing this line..........and I will win the Powerball Lottery....all in the same day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (05-15-2021)
Old 05-14-2021 | 02:55 AM

Nice to hear from another "Lanny"

Old 05-20-2021 | 06:08 PM
|

Wow...another "Lanny"..!!! Not to many of "us" out there.

Anyways, just returned from the local A/C shop with the XK8; tech called me earlier telling me that all three hoses have signs of leaking in the crimps. He looked for replacement hoses and could not find all three. Told me that he could make the hoses, but was too busy this time of year to do so.
What he did was evacuate the system, added 2 oz of oil and put in R-134A....along with a hope that it lasts through the Summer.

Guess I will start the search for the three hoses...see what I can find. Hope the A/C charge lasts through the Summer so I can do this in the Fall.

Anyone have a source for A/C hoses???

Old 05-22-2021 | 02:47 AM

I have a hot rod shop. I make my own for myself and my customers. But I have not made any for my Jaguar. I am not sure if they are anything special. Good luck Lanny

Old 05-29-2021 | 11:52 AM
|

I found the three A/C system hoses that have crimp connections on them; easily found them. The three hoses cost about $530 plus shipping.

I think if I had the A/C shop make hoses, I would have to remove them, take them to him for him to have something to copy. Not sure if there would really be much savings here....for sure not in time....but I may need time to heal-up after getting the three hose off.....

So far so good with the A/C operation...but Summer has only started here.