XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Cam tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Cam tensioners

`I just replaced the upper cam tensioners on my 01 XKR. Ordered the tensioners and bolts from Lincoln, part #s 2W9Z6K254CA and 2W9Z6K254BA. They got me the wrong bolts, they were as long as the old ones but had more threads, so I was able to shorten and use them. I wont give that part #. The parts cost me $132 wholesale. Got after market valve cover gaskets on line for $56, they are rubber not silicone rubber as origional. Could have reused old ones as they last forever. I wiped a little O2 safe silicone on the spark plug hole gaskets before installing. I borrowed Ford Tool Kit from my local Lincoln dealer. Kit # TK 2000 AP, It contains all special service tools for the Jaguar V8. Lincoln calls it a 3.9L. Actually the job was Quite easy, nothing was especially difficult to get at with proper tools. Valve covers came out with minimal removal of other parts. I don't think it should take any competent person more than 4 hrs to do the whole job. It wouldn't take much to fabricate a cam locking tool by drilling a piece of bar stock and you could stick a couple of bolts or round stock in the sprocket holes and just lever on them with a large screw driver to tension the chain. Be sure to copy the instructions from your JTIS and follow them, it isn't necessary to use the crank locker tool. At 68K my tensioners showed little wear.

Old 04-24-2010, 02:26 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Very nice to hear these tensioner jobs are getting done more frequently by owners, and the more threads like this we see will install higher confidence to the others. Thanks for sharing! You were fortunate that yours were so 'pristine', not a crack on 'em huh?

Old 04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
ud
Received 148 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasso
`I just replaced the upper cam tensioners on my 01 XKR. Ordered the tensioners and bolts from Lincoln, part #s 2W9Z6K254CA and 2W9Z6K254BA. They got me the wrong bolts, they were as long as the old ones but had more threads, so I was able to shorten and use them. I wont give that part #. The parts cost me $132 wholesale. Got after market valve cover gaskets on line for $56, they are rubber not silicone rubber as origional. Could have reused old ones as they last forever. I wiped a little O2 safe silicone on the spark plug hole gaskets before installing. I borrowed Ford Tool Kit from my local Lincoln dealer. Kit # TK 2000 AP, It contains all special service tools for the Jaguar V8. Lincoln calls it a 3.9L. Actually the job was Quite easy, nothing was especially difficult to get at with proper tools. Valve covers came out with minimal removal of other parts. I don't think it should take any competent person more than 4 hrs to do the whole job. It wouldn't take much to fabricate a cam locking tool by drilling a piece of bar stock and you could stick a couple of bolts or round stock in the sprocket holes and just lever on them with a large screw driver to tension the chain. Be sure to copy the instructions from your JTIS and follow them, it isn't necessary to use the crank locker tool. At 68K my tensioners showed little wear.

I agree with you on all your points and for the sake of those still contemplating this job. I've fabricated my own fixtures for the upper tensioners on the first one I did and still use them today, including the spanner. Agree too, the crank lock pin is not necessary for secondary tensioners, although use it if it makes you feel better, won't hurt either.

The only item on which I part company with you is the cam cover seals. These, more realistically, have a lifespan of around 60K miles, they harden from the constant heat cycles and will frequently start leaking. Also I always install the seals dry, but would only use an O-Ring Silicone (not a gasket sealer), if I was to use anything. The key to proper sealing is proper torque of the cam cover bolts. Too tight will crush the rubber/steel inserts and distort the plastic cam covers, then, even new seals will leak.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:56 PM

No cracks, just some spalling on one surface.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomasso
Did the Lincoln dealer charge you to borrow their tool kit? How did you approach the service manager on that one? I just ordered all my parts and now am trying to figure out how I am going to acquire the locking tools without buying it.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Default Cam Tools

I actually used to work at the Lincoln dealership so it was no problem borrowing the tools. I guess if I had to ask a service manager for the tools I would offer to rent them. Good luck.

Last edited by Thomasso; 02-11-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 02-11-2011, 08:30 PM

I actually used to work at our small town dealership so it was no problem borrowing them. I guess if I had to ask a service manager for them I would offer to rent them. Good luck.

Old 02-12-2011, 06:02 PM
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks! I might be going with the zip tie method now. Zip tie the chain to the exhaust sprocket and raise the exhaust cam to slide out the old tensioner and replace.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Received 52 Likes on 24 Posts

Just ordered the same kit from Tousley Ford.The part number for the 4 x "screws" is W500301S300 and cost $1.10 each

Old 02-25-2011, 09:55 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

I have the tools. PM if interested.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After reading all of the information on the forum I decided to take a look at the tensioners in my '99 XK8. I have 55,000 miles. Was I surprised. BOTH secondary cam chain tensioners were cracked. One the whole way through from top to bottom and the other, all the way through about 3/4 of the way from top to bottom. Two of the rails were split in two places. I think I saved myself some expensive repairs down the road. I was actually fun. While I had everything apart I went ahead and replaced the thermostat, water pump and all of the heater hoses. I thought 11 years was more than enough to ask of those parts. All went well.

Old 03-24-2011, 10:29 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

great catch sal, not all 4.0 owners (xk8/r or XJ8) owners are as proactive as you! You can sleep well at night now. So, is the ZF5hp24 A-drum and valve body next?

Old 03-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts

+! on the gaskets don't live forever, we used to replace them quite often when I worked at a Lincoln dealer. The gaskets will shrink and harden over time and leak.

-1 on using silicone sealer on almost anything. Peeps seem to think it's the second coming but when your reputation and paycheck stands on the test of time you'll suffer.

Old 03-24-2011, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by h20boy
great catch sal, not all 4.0 owners (xk8/r or XJ8) owners are as proactive as you! You can sleep well at night now. So, is the ZF5hp24 A-drum and valve body next?
Alright!! Now I have a new project for when I get back from Richmond. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-25-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at JTIC as I am getting ready to do this, it calls for applying sealant in two places on the joint between the front of the cam and the cylinder head (3mm diameter by 12 mm long). So would I use a gasket sealer for this? Thanks.

Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM

That is exactly what I did to satisfy that requirement. When you take the front cover off you will see why they want this thin film in those spots as it is exactly where the seam is located.

Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by salbrechtnh
That is exactly what I did to satisfy that requirement. When you take the front cover off you will see why they want this thin film in those spots as it is exactly where the seam is located.
Thanks

Old 03-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,181 Likes on 1,621 Posts

Originally Posted by reko19
Looking at JTIC as I am getting ready to do this, it calls for applying sealant in two places on the joint between the front of the cam and the cylinder head (3mm diameter by 12 mm long). So would I use a gasket sealer for this? Thanks.
They want silicone RTV.

One popular brand is Permatex Silicone RTV. You only need the smallest tube they sell.