XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Does anyone know if the quarter windows motors have a clutch mechanism ?

If they are mechanically clutched, I do not thing the excess time applying power to the motor is an issue. If they are not clutched, I think we need to come up with a more precisely timed auto-down solution to avoid potentially stressing the motors.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
Veteran Member
Default A little relay logic prevent to prevent a big Oops -- TAKE 2

OK, at this point it is unknown whether holding the quarter window motors in a stalled position for a few extra seconds will stress it to the point of reducing its life....so out of an abundance of caution I will offer another alternative that avoids this issue and precisely times the quarter window autodown lowering.

This solution also provides an autodown function automatically when the top closes. It uses a time delay relay, which really was Reverand Sam's idea. This goes to show I should have taken Reverend Sam more seriously at first, instead of blow him off in favor of my idea. But try as I might, I'll probably never learn that lesson.

There is an inexpensive, widely available adustable 12v time delay relay available for around 15 bucks on ebay and other sources. It can be set with a potentiometer for up to a 45 second pulse. For this aplication, we need to set it for about 3 seconds, just long enough to drop the quarter window.
Here is a data sheet on the part: http://www.directedstore.com/manuals/528T.pdf

Here are some of them for sale on ebay:
dei 528T items - Get great deals on Electronics, eBay Motors items on eBay.com!

The relay can be triggered off of the convertible top main control valve solenoid, which only activates for top closing, and activates early in the closing cycle. The connection for this can be picked up in the trunk at the converible top pump.

Disclaimer again: This has not been tested yet.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-06-2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Diagram removed..a fully tested version will be posted soon.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

I learned something interesting this afternoon. If the convertible top is down and you have manually raised the windows with the new switch, all you need to do to lower the windows is tap the "down" switch for the convertible top. The rear windows retract fully. It's not idiot-proof, but if you get in the habit of tapping the "down" switch before holding the "up" switch you'll prevent the problems that would occur if you raise the top with the rear windows up.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Rev, If you want to use the key to raise the top, can you momentarily turn the door key the the lowering position to retract the rear windows as you did with the console switch?

Old 03-30-2011, 01:44 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
Rev, If you want to use the key to raise the top, can you momentarily turn the door key the the lowering position to retract the rear windows as you did with the console switch?
I just tried it. Here's what happens: The scenario is that the top is down, all four windows are up.

If I put the key in the driver's door, turn it to the left (anti-clockwise), and hold it, the top will raise. The rear windows don't come down. This could be bad if I continued to hold the key.

If I turn the key to the right and hold it, all four windows go down. As soon as I release it the front windows stop, but the rear windows go all the way down even though I released the key.

So, If you're one of the people who get out of the car and use the key to close the top, you can always turn the key to the right to lower the windows before turning it to the left to put up the top.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:46 PM
Veteran Member

I test drove the car yesterday with the top down and the rear windows up. The difference is amazing. The amount of wind in the cockpit was already pretty low because I have the Adamesh wind screen. Raising the rear windows reduced the wind even more, although the difference is slight because there wasn't much wind to reduce. HOWEVER, the reduction in wind noise is HUGE! I wish I had had camera with me to make a video of the difference. Unfortunately it is supposed to rain here the rest of the week. I'll make a video the first chance I get.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I learned something interesting this afternoon. If the convertible top is down and you have manually raised the windows with the new switch, all you need to do to lower the windows is tap the "down" switch for the convertible top. The rear windows retract fully. It's not idiot-proof, but if you get in the habit of tapping the "down" switch before holding the "up" switch you'll prevent the problems that would occur if you raise the top with the rear windows up.
Sam, does this work repeatedly? In other words can you raise the window up again, and lower it with the top down switch a second time.

If so, then we only really need an 'UP' pushbutton switch instead of the UP/DOWN switch.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-30-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
so, them we only really need an 'DOWN' pushbutton switch instead of the UP/DOWN switch.
That was what I was meaning earlier.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, it works every time. I just cycled the windows about 6 or 7 times to test it. Therefore it is possible to do this by just tapping into the green/black wire on that connector. However, if you ever sell your car you'll have to teach the future buyer how to lower the windows before putting the top up.

Actually, now that I think about it, that's something that we would have to do anyway. Since we don't yet have an auto-down feature before raising the top, a future owner, or even a car dealer/test driver could really screw things up.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Yep, it works every time. I just cycled the windows about 6 or 7 times to test it. Therefore it is possible to do this by just tapping into the green/black wire on that connector. However, if you ever sell your car you'll have to teach the future buyer how to lower the windows before putting the top up.

Actually, now that I think about it, that's something that we would have to do anyway. Since we don't yet have an auto-down feature before raising the top, a future owner, or even a car dealer/test driver could really screw things up.
Thats pretty cool.

I ordered one of the time delay relays, so I will be testing out the auto-down concept soon.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by K.Westra
That was what I was meaning earlier.
You were right !!.....I did not realize that would work.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a thought, but you still might want the 'down' rear window switch for those certain times that you don't want to lower the top, but still want to lower all 4 windows...

I had a 2004 Volvo convertible (I traded it for the Jag) that had the 'all down' or 'all up' window feature, it is handy with the top up or down... Can we rig this into the plan??? It was a separate switch built into the drivers door near the other window controls.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by silverstone
Just a thought, but you still might want the 'down' rear window switch for those certain times that you don't want to lower the top, but still want to lower all 4 windows...

I had a 2004 Volvo convertible (I traded it for the Jag) that had the 'all down' or 'all up' window feature, it is handy with the top up or down... Can we rig this into the plan??? It was a separate switch built into the drivers door near the other window controls.

Actually with the top raised, a quick press or of the convertible lower switch lowers the rear windows, and holding the converrtible raise switch raises the rear windows. That feature is already there, try it.

Not sure about an all up or down...but I think I have figured a way to have the existng convertible top switch raise as well as lower the rear window with the top down also without effecting anything else adversely, plus have the autodown feature.

I need to order the parts and check it out before I post it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 03-30-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
…I think I have figured a way to have the existng convertible top switch raise as well as lower the rear window with the top down also without effecting anything else adversely, plus have the autodown feature.

I need to order the parts and check it out before I post it.
That would be the ultimate! I love how this is turning out. The more seamless and OEM looking, the better. This and the antenna switch are shaping up to be some very awesome mods. The antenna mod was actually the first mod I did to the car.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Just installed this. Thanks Rev for the kit. Works great except I connected ground to a nut that was too far away and pulled it out of the connector on the reinstall.will fix that tomorrow. Also noticed that the switch is hot/live all the time regardless if car is on or not

Old 04-01-2011, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Got the switch, thanks.

Ya'll hurry up and figure out how to 'fool proof' this before I break it.

I may be the last one to the party but while looking at this discovered that the front windows 'down' switch, when pressed twice, will run the window all the way down without holding the switch down.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
Just installed this. Thanks Rev for the kit. Works great except I connected ground to a nut that was too far away and pulled it out of the connector on the reinstall.will fix that tomorrow. Also noticed that the switch is hot/live all the time regardless if car is on or not
Glad it works for you!

Dr. No, your's went out today. Silverstone, I'm just waiting for you to PM me your address. I have one left for anyone who wants it. I'll solder the wires as well as crimp them on this last one since 2002XK8Orlando had a problem.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:11 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up

Yes it works perfectly. Thanks again!!

Old 04-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Veteran Member

Have you driven with the top down/windows up yet? And if so, do you have a wind deflector? I haven't tried the windows up without the deflector, but with the deflector I was amazed by how much less wind noise there was. It doesn't seem like those little windows could make much of a difference, but for some reason the wind noise just disappears as the windows go up. I need to buy or borrow a dB meter to measure the difference. It would be kinda cool to put hard numbers to effect that I am perceiving.

Plus, if you're going to drive with the top down and windows up, it just looks better to have ALL of the windows up.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 PM
Veteran Member

Not to beat a dead horse, but those of you who can wait for my parts to arrive, and for me to test out my mod have a good chance of being rewarded with a more integrated upgrade with the following features:

-Will use the exisitng roof switch on the console. A quick press will make the rear windows go up or down. A longer press will operate the roof.

-Has an autodown failsafe when the top is raised

-Avoids cutting a hole in your console storage box.

-No wire cutting, only wire taps, just like Sam's solution.

-The mod will be removable if that is ever desired.

The disadvantages relative to Sam's solution will be:

-It costs more: about $30 vs. $10.

-The installation is just a little more involved. In addition to the console wires, you will need to intercept a couple of wires in the trunk and one at the roof switch.

I do not want to post it until it is fully tested....probably a week or two from now.

And again, I would not be here doing this if Sam's idea did not spur me on...so Kudo's to Sam.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 04-01-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?