XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Again thanks for your help.

Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 AM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

You guys are absolutely amazing Name:  thumbsup.gif
Views: 712
Size:  139 Bytes
Especially Rev Sam & White XKR.

Let's hear it for Mid-Atlantic Jag Wranglers!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:18 AM

If any one wants the diodes, I found a cheap ebayer in the UK £1 say $1.50 for 20. Let me know if you want the details

Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Rear quarter window control

White XKR,
Could you post a list of the part s, ie. mfr. and part #'s for rear quarter window control, using existing Roof Switch ?
As well;
Reverend Sam,
Could you make your install video available online ?

I am a new member from Canada and find this site VERY helpful.

I have had a 2004 XK8 fire engine red convertible for over 5 yrs now with
'absolutely no problems' (knock wood). As well I have a Hard tonneau cover which makes a dynamite statement when the top is down.As soon as I am allowed, I will make pictures available on the site as soon as I am allowed..

many thanks
Stan I (Stainless)

Old 08-17-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,985 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan I
White XKR,
Could you post a list of the part s, ie. mfr. and part #'s for rear quarter window control, using existing Roof Switch ?
As well;
Reverend Sam,
Could you make your install video available online ?

I am a new member from Canada and find this site VERY helpful.

I have had a 2004 XK8 fire engine red convertible for over 5 yrs now with
'absolutely no problems' (knock wood). As well I have a Hard tonneau cover which makes a dynamite statement when the top is down.As soon as I am allowed, I will make pictures available on the site as soon as I am allowed..

many thanks
Stan I (Stainless)
Stan, you need to get your post count to 10 and then you can download the .pdf here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e6/#post333423

It has the instructions and sources for the parts. I also have a siginificant supply of the relays with built in diodes (so you do not need to add them externally), which I can sell you at my cost (about $2) plus shipping.

I suggest that you go to the welcome area and welcome 8 new members and then you wil be able to access all of the riches on the forum.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-17-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Stan...it looks like you should have access to the writeup ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...e6/#post333423 ) now. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
I have installed the mod allowing the rear windows to roll up with the top down, but sometimes (pretty regularly, actually) momentarily pressing the "top up" switch will not start the rear window-up sequence. If I hold it down long enough to run up a little top hydraulic pressure, then back it off, the windows work on the next try. I don't know if this is a glitch unique to my installation, but the suggested kill feature would mess up my little workaround unless it only applied to the remote operation.

This may or may not be related, but the part of the window circuit that drops them when you begin to raise the roof has never worked. I haven't had time to check the wiring yet.

Cheers,
I have seen this occasionally, though you are the first to report it to me. My theory is that the microswitch that detects the top is down is either flaky or needs adjustment in some cars. I will try to look into the issue further this weekend.

The auto-window drop should work..definitely double-check your wiring.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-24-2011 at 12:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XK8+XJ8L (08-24-2011)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks, Steve. I'm slammed with lots of non-Jag problems at the moment, so I won't be able to check that wiring just now. The other problem is no biggie, so there's no rush. I would be interested in what you may find out though.

Thanks again,

Old 08-27-2011, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Unhappy

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
I have installed the mod allowing the rear windows to roll up with the top down, but sometimes (pretty regularly, actually) momentarily pressing the "top up" switch will not start the rear window-up sequence. If I hold it down long enough to run up a little top hydraulic pressure, then back it off, the windows work on the next try. I don't know if this is a glitch unique to my installation, but the suggested kill feature would mess up my little workaround unless it only applied to the remote operation.

This may or may not be related, but the part of the window circuit that drops them when you begin to raise the roof has never worked. I haven't had time to check the wiring yet.

I have seen this occasionally, though you are the first to report it to me. My theory is that the microswitch that detects the top is down is either flaky or needs adjustment in some cars. I will try to look into the issue further this weekend.

The auto-window drop should work..definitely double-check your wiring.
Well, I confirmed that the top down sensing microswitch intermittently goes open circuit sometime after the top down cycle ends on my car. I opened it up to have a look and discovered that the switch is sealed into the RH cyclinder and is non-adjustable.

Short of replacing the entire RH cylinder, it seems like your workaround of starting and reversing the cycle before raising the rear windows may be the best way to go.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-27-2011 at 01:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
XK8+XJ8L (08-27-2011)
Old 08-27-2011, 03:06 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Well, I confirmed that the top down sensing microswitch intermittently goes open circuit sometime after the top down cycle ends on my car. I opened it up to have a look and discovered that the switch is sealed into the RH cyclinder and is non-adjustable.

Short of replacing the entire RH cylinder, it seems like your workaround of starting and reversing the cycle before raising the rear windows may be the best way to go.
Thanks for checking that out. Given the options, I can live with it.

Cheers,

Old 08-27-2011, 03:51 PM
Veteran Member
Default A better solution !

Nevermind. I thought had one, but there is an issue with it.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 08-27-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it agreed this works with the 2008+ Verts as well?

Old 10-11-2011, 10:19 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SkipM
Is it agreed this works with the 2008+ Verts as well?
No, this is for the X100 (1996-2006). 2007 (X150) and later is a complete redesign and likely would not work.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the info regarding the rear quarter windows. I'd like to do that on my 2006 convertible but I can't see any wires that match the colors you mentioned. Also, the yellow box where the wires are is in a slightly different spot and the box detaches from a clip for easier access.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Cave Creek rider
Thanks for all the info regarding the rear quarter windows. I'd like to do that on my 2006 convertible but I can't see any wires that match the colors you mentioned. Also, the yellow box where the wires are is in a slightly different spot and the box detaches from a clip for easier access.

I just verified the colors and they should be the same on a 2006. The only difference is the telephone connector in the console with the brown/red wire is an 18-pin connector starting in 2003, not a 14-pin connector .

One thing that throws some people off is that the wires in the car have thin colored tracers, not bold stripes like in my diagrams. Sometimes the wires in the car need to be twisted 180 degrees to see the thin stripe (tracer) on the backside.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I checked again with a magnifying glass and there are no wires that are green w/ black stripe, or green w/ blue stripe. Do you know which places the correct wires should be on the connector box?

Old 05-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Have you downloaded the .pdf from https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xk...e6/#post333423 ) ?

Pin numbers and position descriptions are in the drawings in that .pdf

Also if you are just adding the switch without the autodown feature as discussed earlier in this thread, I strongly recommend you reconsider and implement the autodown as described in the .pdf or you may damage your convertible top seals.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks again. That way looks a bit too complicated for me. The plain switch would be better. The top on my car is always down anyway. My car stays in the garage all 3 days of the year that it rains here in Arizona. Once again I looked at the wires and they are not the same color as in Reverend Sam's video. I guess I'll just leave the windows as they are. Thanks.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member

If you can take some clear photos of where the wires emerge from the connector, I might be able to guide you to the correct ones.

It would not be the first time I have seen Jaguar change wire colors and not document it.

Old 08-22-2012, 10:39 AM
SSL
Post Issue with triggering roof up sequence

First, many thanks to all contributing to this thread especially WhiteXKR and Rev Sam. This is an absolutely terrific mod!

I installed both, the 'Rear Window Raise using the Roof Up Button' and the 'Autodown Rear Window Drop' according to WhiteXKR's write up. I mounted the relays and timers for both mods in the trunk close to the stereo. That way I only had to run one wire from the center console to the back tapping into the 'Roof Up' button line (there's more space in the back and it's easier to get to).

Maybe it's because of that set-up that I ran into the following issue: Even when held down for a longer period of time the 'Roof Up' button wouldn't trigger the roof up sequence anymore. With the 'Roof Up' button pressed and the relay triggered the voltage on the wire connecting to the switch was around 3V vs. the 0V it should be as the switch connects it directly to ground. That seemed to be too much for the Body Processor Module to trigger the roof up sequence. An additional resistor of ~20 Ohm between the relay coil (pin 85) and the connecting wire brought the voltage down. Everything works perfectly now! Thought this would be worthwhile sharing in case anybody else experiences similar issues.

Quick Reply: Can the back windows be rolled up with the top down?