XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

CAN problem ............

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 925 Likes on 456 Posts

A couple of questions. Is this giving you only a P1638? Is this module original to the car?

An observation, maybe helpful maybe not. Have looked at four of these myself, repaired three on my cars, and one other ATE Teves unit from another car of the period (Ford, but make/model escapes me right now). All had problems with the solder joints, but none had this circuit board design. If the module came with the car and had no problems at some point, no worries, ignore this.

Another observation/question, I can't see details around the solder joints, but is the trace leading from the solder joint in the upper picture, lower post, split across the board? Or is that where you stripped the coating? If it's split, that could cause problems. Have you soldered the posts to the pads around the posts?

Old 04-18-2020, 12:42 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

morning,
No I have the follow codes from WDS
C1155 FL speed sensor
B1342 internal abs module fault
C1267 disturbance detection failure ? whatever that is
B1673 battery voltage out of range though measured at plug to be12.87v
U2012 ABS can bus error
as a further funny I cannot clear the errors as WDS does not give the option to do it (points towards a CAN problem to me)
as for the circuit when i cleaned off the solder on the pins that is what i found , a small solder colored ring around the hole then a small break in the copper track perfectly circular as if meant to be between the solder ring and the main copper track, that is why i thought it was a trap for unwary fixers and i only soldered the pin to the solder ring not the main track, please see updated picture taken today i have marked another area which looks similar what do you think ?
I have also done continuity between the pump pins on module and the power and ground pins on main socket i get,
between pins 24 (ground) and top pump pin 64 kohms
between pins 8 (ground) and bottom pump pin 0.6 ohms
nothing between pins9 and 25 (power) to either pump pins
just been out and finished my continuity check from gear selector illumination module to dlc both 0.8 0hms so checked pins on dlc while still disconnected at gear selection module and got 120 ohms, so connected all plugs to there respective units tried again and guess what i now have 61.5 ohms so must have a dirty connector or something
Right get wds out and see what i have, same 5 faults on abs and c1137 on ecm tried to erase them but c1137 would not reset and again no option to clear the abs faults so looks like bad abs module now, what you think unless my soldering needs redoing across that pad
good job i can do this at my leisure otherwise would be losing all my hair
EDIT the line on board is where the protective coating has been removed to re solder and check continuity also must point out this is on my 1998 convertible NOT the xkr sorry if miss lead anyone
regards
rrosscoe

QUOTE=crbass;2219853]A couple of questions. Is this giving you only a P1638? Is this module original to the car?

An observation, maybe helpful maybe not. Have looked at four of these myself, repaired three on my cars, and one other ATE Teves unit from another car of the period (Ford, but make/model escapes me right now). All had problems with the solder joints, but none had this circuit board design. If the module came with the car and had no problems at some point, no worries, ignore this.

Another observation/question, I can't see details around the solder joints, but is the trace leading from the solder joint in the upper picture, lower post, split across the board? Or is that where you stripped the coating? If it's split, that could cause problems. Have you soldered the posts to the pads around the posts?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by rrosscoe; 04-18-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: bit more info
Old 04-18-2020, 03:58 PM
Veteran Member

As an aside, the connectors on the gear illumination module are not the best. Have seven of these and all have needed resoldering.

So, to summarize, your ABS thinks there is a CAN problem (U2012), your ABS thinks your ABS is fragged (B1342), and meanwhile your ECM thinks it is also fragged (C1137).

Common causes include voltage issues like shorts to high and shorts to ground (e.g. C1137 control module (CM) ground circuits: high resistance, open circuit or internal circuit failure short circuit to B+ voltage CM power circuits: high resistance, open circuit or short circuit to ground). This could be happening in your ABS module.

First thought, is +Battery voltage and ground making it to your ECM and ABS? That could solve many problems. Also, WDS doesn't appear to think the battery voltage is making it to the OBD pins, so I'd check there too.

Second thought, your ABS is indicating it is not functioning.

Before you go there, what was happening that led to you resolder your ABS module? (Codes for example)

Old 04-19-2020, 04:43 AM

morning,
The reason for resoldering the abs module was ,when i bought the car it had intermittent abs problems ie speedo would stop working and no odemeter change,had the usual abs traction control failure and dsc failure, at the time my wds waspoorly (internal battery problems now sorted) so tried Delphi 150 diagnostic reader it only showed transmission and climate codes no abs codes.So reading here about others problems the common factor was the bad pins, so checking my module found that it had been opened before so reopened it up and saw that the pins were dirty,corroded (see first picture i sent) that is when i de soldered the pins and found the break between the bottom pin and the circuit board so done continuity check between silver ring and circuit pads which showed no continuity that is why i only soldered the pin to the silver ring did continuity check to make sure that i had not bridged the gap and all ok did not see any other obvious damage so replaced unit and by now had wds working that is when i got all the abs codes and as mentioned the wds would not give option to clear codes that is when did further research and found the abs hard fault check sheet and the advanced multiplex notes.
did i mention that checking the abs sensors through the LF37 plug my readings were
lfw 1.04kohms
lrw 1.6kohms
rfw 1.58kohms
rrw 1.48kohms
the check list says that they should be 2.00 - 2.2 kohms so do not know what happened there
yes did voltage and ground check at LF37 plug and had 12.87v and 0.2ohms so good supply also did voltage check at transmission control module as had P1794 and found 13.44v !
so does look like module shot
so why does it sometimes work and others not? sounds like connection loose / corroded but checking everything they seem to be ok must say have only been out in it once to check solder repair so do not know if it will decide to work.
also why does wds read the abs codes but i get no option to clear them (it clears the others)
regards
rrosscoe

Old 04-19-2020, 08:56 AM
Received 8,149 Likes on 4,916 Posts

You need to select the ABS module to clear all DTCs in the module. You cannot clear individual DTCs from any module.
It should clear them. Try to select COMPLETE VEHICLE and see if it clears the ABS?

bob

The following users liked this post:
crbass (04-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 09:25 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rrosscoe
morning,
The reason for resoldering the abs module was ,when i bought the car it had intermittent abs problems ie speedo would stop working and no odemeter change,had the usual abs traction control failure and dsc failure, at the time my wds waspoorly (internal battery problems now sorted) so tried Delphi 150 diagnostic reader it only showed transmission and climate codes no abs codes.So reading here about others problems the common factor was the bad pins, so checking my module found that it had been opened before so reopened it up and saw that the pins were dirty,corroded (see first picture i sent) that is when i de soldered the pins and found the break between the bottom pin and the circuit board so done continuity check between silver ring and circuit pads which showed no continuity that is why i only soldered the pin to the silver ring did continuity check to make sure that i had not bridged the gap and all ok did not see any other obvious damage so replaced unit and by now had wds working that is when i got all the abs codes and as mentioned the wds would not give option to clear codes that is when did further research and found the abs hard fault check sheet and the advanced multiplex notes.
did i mention that checking the abs sensors through the LF37 plug my readings were
lfw 1.04kohms
lrw 1.6kohms
rfw 1.58kohms
rrw 1.48kohms
the check list says that they should be 2.00 - 2.2 kohms so do not know what happened there
yes did voltage and ground check at LF37 plug and had 12.87v and 0.2ohms so good supply also did voltage check at transmission control module as had P1794 and found 13.44v !
so does look like module shot
so why does it sometimes work and others not? sounds like connection loose / corroded but checking everything they seem to be ok must say have only been out in it once to check solder repair so do not know if it will decide to work.
also why does wds read the abs codes but i get no option to clear them (it clears the others)
regards
rrosscoe
If I had to guess, yes, some connection problem, perhaps in the ABS module. You may also have an issue with the left front sensor cable. But if you are replacing the module, you can wait to see if the sensor issue is fixed by the replacement.

Don't know about WDS, but IDS has the option to clear all (as suggested by Bob) which works fine when the eraser is not there for the individual code.

Old 04-20-2020, 02:57 PM

Retried to get option to clear individual errors but same thing, the option to clear not available and i tried as you suggested to clear the whole module but again there wasn't even an option for that not that i could find anyway.
It is possible my wds does not have that option as according to the manual i should also have as an option a tab for guided diagnostics but there is no tab showing that option either.
Will keep trying
keep you informed
just out of interest here are the details of the module and the vcats,i cannot see the same numbers? could this be the problem
regards
rrosscoe

Old 04-20-2020, 07:49 PM

Can you access the ABS module?
I just accessed my 2001MY XJ8 today and cleared a C1095 DTC from a repaired module. (I repair them then clear all DTCs by plugging the module into the harness but not install it) I use IDS 118.5 or sometimes WDS 43. They are pretty much the same for the X100/X308 cars.

Can you try another module by wedging it next to the installed one and connecting the harness?

crbass (04-20-2020)
Old 04-20-2020, 07:57 PM

The ABS is NOT on the VCATS label because it is not a programmable part but it can be configured the car.

The part numbers on the case are NOT the Jaguar part numbers. Your ABS module is actually part number JLM21323.
You should have 9 BLUE solenoid coils on the other side.

I wish you were closer to me so I could lend you a few ABS modules (I have over a dozen of the JLM21323 modules)

Old 04-20-2020, 08:05 PM

I just noticed that your VCATS is from a 1998MY car.
Your signature states you have a 2000 My XKR Coupe?

What car are we discussing?

The 1998MY X100 with traction control (6 pipes, 9 valves) will have a part number JLM20556.
A 2000MY X100 (6 pipes, 9 valves) will have part number JLM21323.

The JLM20556 can be fitted to 1998/1999 X100/X308 Jaguars W/Traction Control.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:42 PM

It is the 98 XK8, i tried adding it to my profile but it did not do it allthough it changed my picture. So i need a JLM 20556 then, have had look on web but nothing comes up close to me and the breakers are shut due to the virus but will try and find one and it is no problem to hook it up. just as a matter of interest my WDS is 43 V5 so we are talking same diagnostic information oh and my abs has 5 black and 4 orange/gold solenoid coils.
will keep trying and see if i can find another module to compare.
regards
rrosscoe

Old 04-21-2020, 04:59 PM

The JLM20556 is the Jaguar part number but the label on the unit will not have those numbers.
I will find a JLM20556 in my pile-o-parts and see what number is printed on the case.

bob

DavidYau (04-21-2020)
Old 04-22-2020, 09:12 AM

The part number on the case of the JLM20556 is LNC2210AD.
It does have 5 black and 4 orange/gold solenoid coils.

Old 04-22-2020, 11:51 AM

thank you for checking your stash of bits, so mine does have the one it needs, all i have to do now is try a replacement to see if it is the car or module, have asked a mate of mine who thinks he had one and will take a look for me.
keep you informed
cheers
rrosscoe

Old 04-22-2020, 02:09 PM

I have had faulty modules and I like to install one in a 'known-good' car to see if the fault follows the module.

I have two faulty JLM21323 with C1155 that will NOT clear.(permanent)
I thought the car had a faulty link harness or speed sensor until I swapped it to my wife's 2001 XJ8 and the fault followed the module.(my wife's car does NOT have any faults)

Replaced the module in the customer car and the warnings went away!

DavidYau (04-22-2020)