XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Can you turn off an “amber check engine” light?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:00 AM
Received 33 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can you turn off an “amber check engine” light?

My 2001 XK8 “amber check engine” light is on. Is there any way to reset it to turn it off or will it reset itself if the problem is corrected?

The code PO128, coolant thermostat is the reason it is on. The repair manual states that a possible cause is a thermostat failure. Should I replace it with a Jaguar thermostat or can I use a Ford thermostat?

Ron

Old 03-27-2011, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

You can get a Stant thermostat for less than half of the cost of a Jaguar part:
Jaguar XK8 Thermostat | Free Shipping | 2000 - 2002, 1997 - 1998, Stant, Beck Arnley

The light will eventually clear on its own after some number of drive cycles. You can also take it to a chain auto parts store and they can clear it for you, or you can buy an inexpensive OBDII reader and clear it yourself.

The following users liked this post:
Linda's Jag (03-29-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

If you are just getting a thermostat, any of the local national auto parts houses can help you. RockAuto.com is probably the cheapest price, however.

Have you checked to see if your car still has the plastic thermostat housing that's notorious for failure? Some of the metal housing kits have thermostats with them that would save you some $. Welsh Enterprises is a source for them.

Linda's Jag (03-29-2011)
Old 03-27-2011, 12:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

With summer on the way the light might go out on its own without even changing the thermostat, but I don't recommend that course of action. Right now your thermostat has apparently failed in the open position, allowing coolant to flow all of the time. The coolant warms up as it passes through the engine, then it cools off as it goes through the radiator. Since it is cold out, the engine never gets as warm as it is supposed to get. You may have noticed that your heater doesn't work as well as it used to. Once you get the thermostat fixed your heater will work properly again.

Once summertime gets here the air will be warmer and it won't cool the water in the radiator as efficiently. That will allow the engine to get warmer, and normally the thermostat would open up and allow coolant to flow. But since your thermostat is stuck open, the only time there will really be a difference will be when you first start the engine. It will take a little longer for it to warm up, but then it will run pretty close to the normal temperature since it is hotter outside. Because it's running close to the normal temp, your light will go off eventually. But then it will come back on next fall.

Linda's Jag (03-29-2011)
Old 03-29-2011, 09:01 AM
Default Thanks, New thermostat is in....

It is so nice to plug in a code reader (free at O'Reily AutoParts) and pull up the code for my amber check engine light. As I stated, the code indicated that the thermostat had failed. I replaced it today and found that the thermostat had failed to close completely and was slightly open when cold. I then went back and used the code reader to erase the code and turn off the amber check engine light.... Thanks to all. I love this forum...... Ron

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,151 Likes on 753 Posts

Ron, you're one of the fortunate ones who had their t-stat (or wifes' t-stat in your case ) stick in the open position. What most often happens is it sticks closed, and the coolant never gets the chance to circulate through the radiator and cool, heating up the engine pretty quick and resulting in some severe damage...it can happen pretty quick while at highway speeds.

Did you at least reward o'reilys with a purchase of the new t-stat, or perhaps a fancy chamois for the weekend baths?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
Default Yes I did buy the thermostat from O'Reily

Yes I did buy the thermostat from O'Reily. They sold me a very high quality thermostat that looked identical to the Jaguar OEM. Jaguar's thermostat was $67.00 and I paid only $16.99. The specs state that it opens 60% wider, but it looked identical. Ron

Old 03-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,261 Likes on 565 Posts

Dude! You're a dude! For some reason I just assumed "Linda's Jag" was a female. LOL! Maybe I should join the forum using a woman's name and see how many of you visit my user page. Let's compare two relatively new members:

Linda's Jag has 33 posts and she's (he's?) had 35 visitors on his user page.

JagXK82001 has 24 posts, but only SIX visitors to his user page.

I'm no statistician, but it looks to me like members with chick names are more popular than members with dude names.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,988 Likes on 2,125 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Dude! You're a dude! For some reason I just assumed "Linda's Jag" was a female. LOL! Maybe I should join the forum using a woman's name and see how many of you visit my user page. Let's compare two relatively new members:

Linda's Jag has 33 posts and she's (he's?) had 35 visitors on his user page.

JagXK82001 has 24 posts, but only SIX visitors to his user page.

I'm no statistician, but it looks to me like members with chick names are more popular than members with dude names.
Yeah, I was like WT@#*& when Joycesjag started using his profile picture

Old 03-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Default I gave it to my wife

Linda's Jag is LINDA"S JAG. She barely puts gas in the Jag let alone fix anything. She said "that is why she as me"....... Ron