XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Can't find Engine Number

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Can't find Engine Number

Ok, this is going to sound pretty dumb, but I have looked a few times trying to find the engine number on my 1999 XK8. I have taken off both covers and looked everywhere I could see by the lifting rings, the thermostat cover, poking around with a flashlight, but have never seen anything that look like numbers.

I have reasons to believe that this may not be the original motor, which actually may be a good thing. As far as I can see it is a silver block which I have read is one way to tell a replacement motor but truthfully I have never examined an original motor closely to see if there is a difference in what I am seeing. I have contacted my local Jag dealer and they only give me information on warranty work that was done on the car, but a new engine does not come up in that info. The previous owner told me that this was a steel lined engine with new chains and tensioners but had no documents. When I had the valve covers re-sealed (replaced one cracked one also) my independent shop verified the tensioners were metal.

Can anyone supply a good photo of where the engine number should be?

Old 11-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

JTIS says ' . . . on a raised pad on the front of the engine block near the thermostat housing.' No picture.

I've never been able to find mine either. Got the number from the dealer by the VIN.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I have seen the same description along with "by the lifting ring on the right side" place. Looked high and low both places but cannot find a number. Also the Nigel Thorley book (which is a good but brief read and thin on technical/service info) mentions that replacement engines had a metal tag affixed which can sometimes get lost.

If I asked the dealer based on VIN, wouldn't they come up with the original engine number if they have no record of a warranty replacement? My main motivation for finding out if the engine was ever replaced, especially if it was done out of warranty would be to try to ascertain the approximate mileage on the engine as I do have some carfax info that lists events, dates and mileage figures on the car. Of course thinking it through, without paperwork I would really have no way of knowing if it was a new, refurbed or used engine would I.... hmmmm