Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car making fluttering / ticking noise under hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 03:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car making fluttering / ticking noise under hard acceleration

Hi all

Just wondering if anyone can help me diagnose this strange noise - it's there at the start (subtle), I ease off the throttle for a couple of seconds and it goes away, then accelerate again and you can hear it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/dK1bCcgHp7nrhn3Y6

Car is a UK 2002 Jaguar XKR 4.0 (supercharged).

It only happens when you accelerate a little harder and only once the car is warm.

On tick over, or when you rev the engine in park, can't hear anything - engine sounds fine.

Popped into a classic Jag experts place who took it for a test drive and then spent 10 mins poking around. He thought the engine itself was fine and thought maybe it could be exhaust related. I did have the P0400 error a while back; I did a throttle bottle (and therefore EGR valve) clean and it went away. Someone else had suggested it could be a faulty (crack) EGR pipe - known Jaguar issue with a recall notice. I've checked the pipe though and it looks fine.

Noticed that the airbox induction pipe had a small crack so replaced this but made no difference.

The expert noticed the belts were worn but said he's seen worst and not heard that sound so couldn't guarantee replacing them (along with tensioner) would help, and it wouldn't be cheap - and I'm trying to sell the car so don't really want to go down that route.

Any other ideas please?

Thanks
Ross

Old 10-27-2019, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts

Ross,

Where does the sound come from within the engine bay? Or somewhere else in the car?

If it's from the bottom/rear, it could be you have a heat shield loose. There's a lot of metal screens around the exhaust. Good news is that's a cheap fix.

Once I had rattling/fluttering noises, and I found my hand/emergency brake shoes was worn on only one side (so the brake cable was unevenly putting pressure on the rear brake drums). Took me ages to find the culprit of the noises as the brake shoes, in the drum, are held horizontally in place by the brake cable, so were bouncing around within the drum.

Worst case scenario is that you may have a disintegrating Catalytic converter where the internals are shot and the internal metal screens are rattling around.

Old 10-27-2019, 06:04 AM

Thanks David, some good ideas there. When I took a few parts off the other day to check the EGR pipe I noticed various heat shields; the one over the EGR pipe itself is pretty "wobbly", is it supposed to be?

Brake wise, that's a possibility... The brakes aren't great and I did have the ABS/ASC light on a while back but I did one of the fixes I found online (randomly clean contacts on the drivers side connection of the throttle body) and it went away...

Old 03-22-2021, 08:07 PM

Hi there,

I'd hate to resurrect this 2 year old thread, but it seems to be the only thread that accurately describes my issue. I have the exact same noise coming from what I assume is the engine bay. Mine also happens to be a 2002 XKR, however mine is the USA model. In the interest of avoiding potentially costly engine damage, were you able to find a solution to this issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-23-2021, 03:08 AM

Hey... really sorry but I can't help you; I was trying to get rid of the problem to help increase the trade in price in a sale / purchase... never got to the bottom of it and they offered me a reasonable price so exchanged her in and left the garage to deal with it.

I hope you manage to get to the bottom of the issue!