XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car shut down while driving and will not start

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 10:33 AM
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Sure would like to know how the saga ended. The suspense is killing me. Also, I admire a woman that works on her own stuff. ��

Old 07-30-2016, 04:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dale Dunn
Sure would like to know how the saga ended. The suspense is killing me. Also, I admire a woman that works on her own stuff. ��
Well....after finishing misc. repairs, fuses, fuel pump etc, I went ahead and tried to start it. It wouldnt start. I knew it was very low on gas from the gas line incident. So i went and got fuel for it and still no start. I was so disappointed i just went home and havent been back for 2 days. Tomorrow im gonna check fuel pressure at the fuel rail, try resetting the 'fuel cut-off button' designed for cutting off fuel in the event of a wreck (which in this case does not apply but im gonna do it anyways) and if that doesnt work im at a loss. If theres no psi on the fuel rail then im not sure what my next step would be. Im baffled. Just for the record...im not doing the work myself (although i do assist in most of it). I have a good friend whom is a mechanic. But not a jag mechanic. Any more ideas on whats going on would be awesome. I mean what else could it be?? Very frustrated at this point.

Old 07-30-2016, 03:48 PM

Ok well after misc repairs like the fuel pump replacement and a 'ignition coil supply' fuse under hood on passenger side i tried to start it. It will not start. I am at a loss. Very frustrated. I left the car two days ago and have not been back. I plan on going there today and resetting the fuel cut-off switch (although the switch is in the event of a wreck which in this case does not apply) but im gonna do it anyways. And testing the fuel pressure at the fuel rail. Im baffled and would be thrilled to get any other possible suggestions anyone might have. Thanks...p.s...it turns over and wants to start but won't. What the ??

Old 07-30-2016, 03:50 PM

And just fyi...i have a mechanic doing all this stuff for me. Um not doing it myself. I do assist but its pretty complicated in my opinion.

Old 07-30-2016, 05:45 PM

In line fuel filter?

Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dale Dunn
In line fuel filter?
I will check that too...

Old 07-31-2016, 02:58 PM

Well, just checked for pressure at the fuel rail and there is none. Lovely. So im having someone check the inline fuel filter now. I couldn't find the fuel cut-off switch where the manual says its located. So i decided to skip it. Because the fuel and evap lines were yanked out and gas was spraying everywhere ( trunk and under gas tank etc) that might be considered a wreck and tripped the switch?? What else would cause no fuel to the rail? Besides the filter? Help!!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

Can you hear the pump run when listening by the tank and ignition switched on?

Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM

No i can't hear the pump come on. Earlier in these posts i mentioned while changing the fuel pump the tank got pulled out a few inches too far and the fuel lines disconnected in the backside of the tank. Being unaware these lines were detached the car got turned over a few times and ofcourse gas sprayed everywhere. Trunk compartment etc. Then when the problem was figured out and fixed i went to try starting it again and theres no fuel to the rail. Pulled off inline filter and theres no fuel coming down the lines to the filter from the pump. Thats why i was thinking the fuel cut off switch?? But im just grabbing for straws at this point.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

RJ or anyone else with suggestions,
She lives not too far from me and the car is close to my shop. I'be been in contact with her. I plan to see the car Monday or Tuesday. I haven't done any work on the fuel system on these cars yet. As suggested by RJ I first will check if the pump is wotking. She had her mechanic install a pump from one of my parts car. So I believe the pump is good.
If it is not working I'll check to see if there is power to the pump. What powers the pump. Relays and location.
If that is all good I'll check for blockage in fuel lines and filter.

Any other suggestions since I'm going in blind to this part of the car.

Thanks, Bob

Old 08-01-2016, 06:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,801 Likes on 2,236 Posts

I don't know how to go about this, as I've never pulled a tank or disconnected the lines, but I expect the problem is there. I don't have a wiring diagram handy, but there must be a fuse in the system in addition to the pump relay.

Of course, the fuel cut off is still an issue.

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (08-01-2016)
Old 08-01-2016, 08:10 AM

Relays and fuses in trunk fuse box to the pump are good. Ill ask another member, Mike, who warned previously on disconnecting those fuel lines if the tank is pulled out too far, if he had to do additional steps or replace something when he did it. Might involve the security system or who knows. Nothing would shock me at this point.

Old 08-01-2016, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Debbie, you said in a previous post that after you put the fuel pump in and tried to start the car that fuel was everywhere. So at that time the pump must have been working. If it is not working now you might have a short or a bad ground.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:49 PM

Yesterday the saga may have ended ...for now anyways. Fixed the fuel lines which were reversed. Thats why i was getting no fuel at the fuel rail. Once that was out of the way tried starting it. Low and behold it started. Turned it off. It wouldnt start again. Checked the fuses again to find the 'ignition coil supply' fuse was burnt again. Changed it.. Started again. Turned it off. Wont start. Started looking for a short or something grounded out. Finally noticed wiring harness was laying on the exhaust manifold and sparking. Retaped some spots melted on the harness and car started and restarted many times. Thought maybe i had a coil pack shorting out but that wasn't the case. I actually drove the car 45 miles home last night with no problems. I cant thank everyone enough for all your help. And a special thanks to Bobroy who even showed up to where it was being fixed to help. Couldn't have done it without him.!! And hes smart too! Thanks everyone. I hope yoyr cars are all running great!

The following 3 users liked this post by Debbie Bean:
cjd777 (08-03-2016), grantorino62 (08-04-2016), RJ237 (08-03-2016)
Old 08-02-2016, 03:58 PM

Glad to hear you got it going. I recently purchased a 99 xk8 and have had to address several items already. Thankfully it's not my primary mode of transportation but rather a labor of love

Old 08-03-2016, 08:50 AM
Received 26 Likes on 13 Posts

Glad to hear Debbie!

Mike