XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

The CAT sounds angry - pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2013, 07:35 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

I will try to post something this weekend.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:03 PM
Default Video clip - with X-Pipe installed

As promised - a video/audio clip of my car - With X-Pipe installed.
What do you guys think? Should I keep the XPipe or Delete it?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 688 Likes on 558 Posts

Sounds pretty good to me. It may have lost a little of the bark (pop?) that you liked, but it doesn't sound like it lost much.

Question is, what do you think? Was it an improvement?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:17 AM

I like the the sound more without the X-Pipe. It's more aggressive and IMO fits the Jaguar heritage of manufacturing sports cars. My wife prefers the Tuned down sound with the XPipe installed. All I know that inside the car the sound is completely different - much quieter, almost too civilized.
I recall Avos posting somewhere on this forum a thread with a guy from Holland who installed an aftermarket Electronic Variable Exhaust. I'm entertaining this idea right now - it would be the best of both worlds, but not sure who can do the job around my area.

Old 10-29-2013, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,432 Likes on 767 Posts

I don't know, dev. It still sound pretty damn good to me.

Now, I have to wonder, will an XK8 sound the same as your XKR with the same modifications you did?

Old 10-29-2013, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
I don't know, dev. It still sound pretty damn good to me.

Now, I have to wonder, will an XK8 sound the same as your XKR with the same modifications you did?
Why wouldn't it? I'd imagine that the main factor influencing the sound is the engine displacement. My car has 4.2L engine. A 4.0L car may sound slightly different.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Same here

I did the same to my XK8 last week. I really dig the sound of the more refined growl that the X pipe gives the car. I fitted mine with 2 1/2 pipes from the cats all the way back to include the same over the axle of the car. Couldnt stand seeing the stock thin exhaust pipes over the axle. I kept my Nitro mufflers on the rear which are just Borla copys.

Heres a video of mine. I would judge it a solid 7 in loudness. No popping - just a great equalization in sound.

Attached Thumbnails The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-overaxlepipe.jpg   The CAT sounds angry - pics and video-xpipe.jpg  

Last edited by lunaticpro; 10-30-2013 at 02:18 PM. Reason: pictures added
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,432 Likes on 767 Posts

Lunatic brings proof a 4.0 XK8 can sound good. Lunatic, I see you removed the centre muffler and put an x-pipe, and then you removed the other two, and then swapped the behind the rear axle mufflers with performance mufflers. Essentially you kept only two mufflers, am I correct?

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 10-30-2013 at 07:04 PM. Reason: syntax
Old 10-30-2013, 07:04 PM

Lunaticpro,
Great job. Did you DIY?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:21 AM
Default Yes

giandanielxk8 - you are correct. Center muffler, resonators and stock mufflers were discarded. Installed were the 2.5 inch X pipe and Nitro performance mufflers. I kept the stock chrome tips. Like mentioned early - on video it is just a tad quieter on video then in person. I have to admit that the sound of car now makes it even more fun to drive. There is no drone sound in mine like mentioned in other threads.

DevSpider - I got mine work done at a local muffler shop. He's done several of my previous cars before, so he lets me hang out in the shop and drink beer as he's getting the work done.

One last note: This mod is clearly distinctive from the stock sound and may I add different when compared to the american muscle car sound; ie: Camaros and Mustangs. It is a more refined, deeper, but yet mean sounding growl. I highly recommend this to XK8/XKR owners along with the rear wheel spacers to add that extra performance feel....

Last edited by lunaticpro; 10-31-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2013, 04:18 AM

Lunaticpro,
You mentioned spacers in your last thread - please emphasize the details. I was considering putting them on my car, but everyone (mechanics) I spoke to, are talking me out of it. How do they effect the ride in terms of performance? What size spacers did you install? Which brand? Did you have to modify wheel studs to fit them?

Old 11-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Default Spacers

From my personal experience - I have only installed the spacers at the rear wheels of my car since our cars kinda have their wheels alittle too sunken in when compared to others.

I installed the H & R wheel spacers 20 mm to the rear with no modification needed what so ever. All bolts were included with the spacers and the lugs did not have to be shorten or extended when you install 20mm spacers. I have never had issues with them in the past 3 months unlike what Ive have heard about other brands that are made for our vehicles.

I paid about $110 for the pair shipped - do a google search for the best price. I understand there are some other brands on ebay that have the same design as the H & R brand but I dont know of any thread member that has tried them with sucess. They are also much cheaper and are about $129 for the price of 4.

Also from what I understand, spacers will only fit on a 17" or 18" rim. Im not sure if others can elaborate on using them on a 19" rim but Im pretty sure you can not do this to a 20" rim due to their offset.

As far has handling; I cant really say they make a difference but - what it does to the stance of the car speaks volumes! You will catch yourself parking your car and walking away still glancing back because it looks alot tuffer with the spacers on.

One last note - I believe 20mm is the highest you can go without incurring additional charges (same price for the 10, 15 and 20 mm). I know you can go 30mm but its an extra charge...I think 20 mm is a perfect fit but then again its all a matter of personal taste...

11/15/2013
Update: Two weeks later and now I know you can put 20mm spacers on 19" wheels cause I finally put some new wheels on mine. See first post on the forums (Wow us with you XK8/XKR pics).

Last edited by lunaticpro; 11-15-2013 at 10:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DevSpider (11-01-2013)
Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM

I have 20" wheels on mine. I am kind of happy with the look, but you know how it is: the hands are itching - constantly wanting to modify stuff, even if it may not be needed (I think I am developing the "Philhef" syndrome LOL.
On the other hand, I think 2more cm added to the rear stance, may be even more appealing than what I have now. However, this is the first time I am hearing that 20" wheels and spacers do not mix.
Does anyone who has any experience with this care to give their take on the topic?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by DevSpider
As promised - a video/audio clip of my car - With X-Pipe installed.
What do you guys think? Should I keep the XPipe or Delete it?

Jaguar XKR Growling with XPipe Installed - YouTube
DevSpider,

I would defintely remove the whole X-pipe lash-up right away... and sell it to me!

Old 11-15-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by CoventryCars
DevSpider,

I would defintely remove the whole X-pipe lash-up right away... and sell it to me!
I shall start dismantling of the whole system this weekend. Where would you like to have it delivered?

Old 03-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Your XK would sound better if get this exhaust. Your cats sound perfect and the xpipe made it sound sweeter XKRs are the best GTs hands down

Old 03-05-2014, 11:18 AM
Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm wondering why the sound improved so much when removing the centre muffler... and still had a great sound with an X pipe. Would it not make sense to get much better sound with the stock system and just an X pipe mod? Most of the poster that did just that were less than impressed with the sound change.

Old 03-05-2014, 01:13 PM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Cool dump the X pipe, I'm copying you next week

The X pipe removed the snarl. Jags and Astons from the past few years are not subtle, and yours sounds fabulous.

I got massively overcharged for simply removing the rear mufflers.

I'm dumping the central muffler next week, and if I can't take it, I'm adding the mufflers you added. Those mufflers were specifically what? Cost?

I gotta have it.

Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How the cat catches it's prey....

The true Jaguar catches it's prey by being stealthy and quiet......

Someone asked why would Jaguar design the car to be so quiet. Well I dunno maybe to hear the stereo??? or the wind flowing thru past your ears ??? I think quiet power is more sophisticated and challenging. However I know everyone needs to satisfy the beast in them....but I leave that to my Mustang GT. My 72 LTD is somewhere in between with standard turbo mufflers with 2-1/2" pipes from front to back with an H pipe. The heads were ported and polished. Bought headers for it but never put them on........

BTW - I like how your car sounds with the X pipe.........

Last edited by wojo; 03-05-2014 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:25 AM

The ideal setup is to install a variable electronic valve that allows you to control the intensity of the exhaust note from really loud to really quite and everything in between.
Welcome to DMH Performance!
The problem is that this gets costly (the labor that is)
I decided to leave the X-Pipe in place - convinced so by my wife, who sometimes likes to have a conversation with me, while we're cruising on the freeway. The exhaust is still edgy enough to get some adrenaline flowing, but subdued enough to be able to hear the stereo and the wife

Quick Reply: The CAT sounds angry - pics and video