XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The CAT sounds angry - pics and video

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 07:15 PM
Received 128 Likes on 89 Posts
Default A different tac..

Just got a new (to me) XKR portfolio so I'm going to try a slightly different idea. I've ordered a Dynamax X-flo muffler, basically a big glasspack with a perforated X pipe integrated into it and a set of Borla 4" resonated exhaust tips to kill any drone. I'll drill a couple of 1" holes in it and plug them to repack it with steel wool after the glass burns out. The Dynamax will replace the front muffler and I'll run straight pipe back to the resonators. It seems like a good idea to me....

Old 05-04-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Don-T
Just got a new (to me) XKR portfolio so I'm going to try a slightly different idea. I've ordered a Dynamax X-flo muffler, basically a big glasspack with a perforated X pipe integrated into it and a set of Borla 4" resonated exhaust tips to kill any drone. I'll drill a couple of 1" holes in it and plug them to repack it with steel wool after the glass burns out. The Dynamax will replace the front muffler and I'll run straight pipe back to the resonators. It seems like a good idea to me....
Probably be a great mod..and I'm sure it'll sound well. Hey, post a few pix of the "new" ride!

Old 05-13-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 84 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DevSpider
Macleod car sounds awesome. I know because I saw the clip 20 times, as well as the video of the Golden Bridge drive. I also saw 100's of other clips of various systems. The sky is the limit and I did not want to spend a fortune on shiny tubes that no one will ever see (except the oil change guy). Furthermore, the polished parts, if not being looked after right, will get dirty and dull.

Btw, here's the link to the muffler: MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles
Do we think these will fit at the back of a 1999 xk8?

Old 07-20-2014, 12:35 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Hey DevSpider,

love the way your jag sounds!
Has the raw and animalistic sound of the Jag f-type!

But I have to ask, do you love the sound as much as you did initially or if it has grown a bit long in the tooth, or ear for the matter for being on the louder side?

Additionally, as a fellow New Yorker looking into doing exhaust work, which shop did you go to to get the work done?

Old 07-24-2014, 06:13 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts
Default The sound still rocks

Hey Jimbo,
I can't deny that I still find the exhaust note intoxicating. However, I am not sure which YouTube video you watched - was it the one with or without the X-Pipe? If you decide to go the way I did (highly recommended), then you will have on your hands one mean sounding cat. I still enjoy riding with the stereo system off, so that I could hear the exhaust. A little warning though - I enjoy the loud exhaust note and I know for a fact, that not everyone does. It is too loud for some people. Also, I have a coupe, which insulates the sound a bit more, I suppose, than the convertible. Driving on a highway at a steady speed, you will hear a subtle, but steady sound that some people refer to as "drone". To me it's simply an exhaust sound. IMO any sound at a steady frequency can be called a drone. Call it what you will, it's still awesome.
The shop that did the work is called American Muffler and its located in Baldwin, LI. Since installing the X-Pipe, I went back to them a few months later to remove it. I wanted the really RAW, unadulterated sound from which the X-Pipe took an edge off. They quoted me a price to remove it, 2.5 X more than they charged me to install it, so I left. I suppose that they felt comfortable enough with me at that point, that they thought they can rip me off. In retrospect, I think I am better off leaving the X-Pipe on. The car still sounds phenomenal, but also civilized - I love it.
Good luck with your research and enjoy your Jag - they're fabulous cars.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

Fellow NY'rs great!

Dev. My xkr had the middle muffler removed and had only a slight burble to it which did not increase much with RPM. I recently installed the MINA gallery rear muffler delete and well...THAT woke up the beast within. Now I currently have only the two small before axle mufflers and cats.

Im thinking of going with a borla or dynomax baffled x pipe type muffler where the center one once was and removing the two tiny ones and replacing the over axle portion of the pipe. Im thinking my car is a bit too loud now allthough people I know seem to love it.

Question. Who did you have do the the exhaust work?

Thanks!@

Damon

Last edited by XxSlowpokexX; 07-25-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey XX,
The shop that did the work is called American Muffler and its located in Baldwin, LI.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Default Just to keep things stirred up

Well I tried the Dynomax "X-Flow" muffler instead of the front muffler and just straight pipes to rear resonated tips and it was nasty with the constant howl from 1400 to 2000 rpm's. I added glasspacks at the rear with nothing to show for it. Then I replaced the glasspacks with turbo mufflers and marginally made it better (only unbearable from 1400 to 1800 rpm). I added glasspack resonators where the original small resonators were and made no difference. Pulled off the turbo's and put on Dynomax "VT" mufflers (glasspacks with a flapper valve inside) and gained very little. She Who Must Be Obeyed complained mightily about the headaches whenever going anywhere in the car so now I'm back to the stock front and rear mufflers. That was an expensive exercise for a pile of stainless stuff in my garage now. On the other hand, I get reduced rates at the muffler shop now!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Veteran Member

Ive had work done at American Muffler MANY TIMES.

Now I was really hoping the Dynomax Ultraflow X would be the ticket. Ive used that resonator with the standard ultraflows in the past on nasty soundng v6's and its made them sound actually good. Perhaps I need to remove those tiny mufflers and add two more along with the resonator. My car doesnt sound bad at all now just to loud for my liking. Or perhaps I can try a borla resonator....Hmmmmm I have time to think about this..Thanks!

Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM
Veteran Member

This one?

Ultra Flo

Originally Posted by Don-T
Well I tried the Dynomax "X-Flow" muffler instead of the front muffler and just straight pipes to rear resonated tips and it was nasty with the constant howl from 1400 to 2000 rpm's. I added glasspacks at the rear with nothing to show for it. Then I replaced the glasspacks with turbo mufflers and marginally made it better (only unbearable from 1400 to 1800 rpm). I added glasspack resonators where the original small resonators were and made no difference. Pulled off the turbo's and put on Dynomax "VT" mufflers (glasspacks with a flapper valve inside) and gained very little. She Who Must Be Obeyed complained mightily about the headaches whenever going anywhere in the car so now I'm back to the stock front and rear mufflers. That was an expensive exercise for a pile of stainless stuff in my garage now. On the other hand, I get reduced rates at the muffler shop now!

Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM

That's the one! Seemed like a great idea but I think an "H" pipe would be better.

Originally Posted by XxSlowpokexX
This one?

Ultra Flo

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 AM
Veteran Member

I was just going to use that same muffler on my xjr as its quieted down my v6 cars in the past, I have a few supercharged T birds. I may just use it instead on my xkr as it only has cats and the two small rear mufflers before the IRS. Cant make it louder than it is. Im surprised of the noise however. All the factory front muffler is, is a free flowing perferated box with insulation. All I know is that currently I need to quiet down the beast...And these exhaust videos never do the sound justice Bad or good

Old 07-28-2014, 04:11 PM

Hope you have better luck than me. Mine seemed to function as an echo chamber. Reinstalled the stock front muffler and the hollow drone went away.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:26 PM
Veteran Member

To be honest Id rather try it on my xkr and not the xjr With just the rear tiny mufflers its loud but not annoyingly loud. It pops if you rev in nuetral but driving around it never pops or backfires. Just sound slike a Tommy Gun whiel accelerating foot to the floor. I would like to smooth it out a bit though. Ill hav eteh shop mak eit a slip fit in case I want to pull it off.

As far as the current sound I did an awfull Iphone video that Im uploading here. I have no wife though telling me its to loud:O) But yah its loud. Considering the lack of rear and center mufflers however its not that bad . From the inside you barely hear a thing and definitely the sound comes out the rear only. For sure though when only teh center muffler was removed it was barely a burble...The rear muffler delete did me in. And yes I realize my one pipe is a bit off kilter. I brok ea mount bolt and it rotated. Ill need to take care of that asap:O)

Attached Files
File Type: wmv
Video.wmv (3.80 MB, 61 views)
Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the front mufflers removed and the center resonator replaced with an H pipe, hardly any difference in exhaust note at all. I drove it right back into the local exhaust shop and had them cut out the huge rear cans and replace with a pair of good old American "Thrush" glasspacks and a pair of Borla chrome tips. It now has a healthy burble at idle and modest acceleration, but when I nail it, pedestrians dive for cover. Total cost was under 350. US D, and now it sounds like it should've from the factory. It reminds me of a 69 Roadrunner I used to have in tone. Don't spend thousands on those fancy custom packages. My exhaust guy has this done in a couple of hours. He said to go with an H pipe not an x pipe as some xk8s were getting drones with them.