XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Cats R performance springs - adaptive+convertible+R perf

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ccfulton
Yes, that’s right. If I had not had the two sets next to each other right after taking the assembly out of the car I might not have noticed how collapsed the OEM ones really were.
That's interesting. Mines are crumbling so I imagine it will handle better. Now for the part where the car is taking off then landing hard over dips, I don't know. I'll let you know. Depend how fast Welsh can ship these.
Thanks for the advices, really helped! I really feel supported here. That's nice in these crazy times. And it sure sounds superficial to worry about the car but it's also a good way to take your mind off. So thank you!!!

Old 04-14-2020, 08:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Parts are shipping

Hey Jag lovers,

So the parts are in the mail, may they come fast. I ended up taking a risk and bought the shocks absorbers and springs as well as the mounts plates. Shocks and springs and other parts are coming from England from Dave roche AT DCs jaguar. Awesome guy, very knowledgeable and specialized in x100 and x150. Great prices too.
Btw Dave looked in the jaguar portal and sent me a screen capture of the options for my car and yes it's R performance. Some of you were wondering if that existed on convertibles.

I also took the measurements again for the ride height. Either something moved either I messed up when I measured it last time but here are the numbers taken from center of wheel to wheel arch edge vertically right above at in the middle. (Apex?)
Front 13.8" same each side
Rear 16.1" same each side
I was a bit surprised by the rear numbers.

I knew that r perf sets have the front lower than standard so I wonder if, like we mentioned, it's only about changing the upper mounts to get the right height after all.
Now the rear ones seem way too high. Don't think it's a big deal but I wonder why.

Height is a concern, but as I mentioned in previous post, my main worry is the down rebound going so low that it hit the road driving over dips at speed. I know height will help with that, but I doubt it will be enough. The rebound felt like there was no resistance whatsoever from the springs to flatten like it does/did over the dips on freeways. Like, it compressed to the max. Wheel hit the arch, front body belly rubbed the road. "Bam" noise. Multiple occurences. So I thought I'd give it a go and order the parts to replace springs and struts as well. No matter what, I can still sell the used sets for a good price if they're actually in good shape or if they weren't the problem to begin with. We'll see. I hope I didn't overdo it. But also it bothered me to plan to change only the upper mounts, then potentially find out I have to redo the whole job once again to install springs and shocks if the problem is still unresolved. And installing springs scare the s@#& out of me. Good compressor tools, easy or not, that's not something I want to do twice. You get me?

So here it is, some of you asked for an update and I thought it'd be a good time.
​​​
Thanks for your encouragement and advices to all of you. I hope you're all well, and safe. Even if you have to keep the roof down, or the windows closed, it's not a bad time to drive the wild cats without much traffic huh!? For it is sad and bad to drive the V8 at 10 mph for 45 minutes. It hurts.
Take care friends.