Has your set-up of Post #33 is still working fine. Please advise
Thanks
Yes sir, still working just fine.

The following users liked this post:
Pigi (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 08:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great news, Thanks.
Just a question. I had the non-CATS shocks installed and now i have the fault on all the time. Just to shut the fault indication off, should i unplug Pin11 (ignition supply) or Pin27 (battery Supply) on the ADCM connector pin? Or does it make any difference either way?
please advise.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

The fault warning circuit comes from pin 1, so you could try that one first.

Pigi (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 04:57 PM
Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Pigi
Great news, Thanks.
Just a question. I had the non-CATS shocks installed and now i have the fault on all the time. Just to shut the fault indication off, should i unplug Pin11 (ignition supply) or Pin27 (battery Supply) on the ADCM connector pin? Or does it make any difference either way?
please advise.

Just unplug the control module located in the boot and the fault warning will go away.

Pigi (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by spuddyo
Just unplug the control module located in the boot and the fault warning will go away.
+1

That will fix it right up.

Pigi (07-14-2013)
Old 07-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Guys. Seems simple enough.
Cheers

Old 07-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Question for the original discussion: How much of this relates to the system in general and how much is specific to the individual model? I would be interested in this for my S-Type R.

Old 07-15-2013, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member

The basic system operation is the same but looking at the S-Type wiring diagram the control model is different.

The one in the S-Type looks to be somewhat more advanced with a connection to the SCP network and lacking the dedicated lines for vehicle speed, brake switch and the error output.

I am not familiar with the S-Type so can't say whether you will get an error if the module is switched off or disconnected, but if you can unplug it without seeing a fault, then I would imaging you can approach adding a switch in a similar way.

It will take some experimentation but where there is a will, there is a way.

Bad Cattitude (07-15-2013)
Old 03-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Default ? instructions for independent CATS switch

While I appreciate the instructions on post 33 to have CATS goto firm mode when the sport is engaged for the engine/transmission setting...

I found there were too many places where my suspension was bouncy as a result, but I really like pulling away strongly. I'd like to keep them separate.

Suggestion for how to have a separate switch for CATS shocks soft vs firm?

Even if it was in the trunk, that would be good.

WAIT. How about connecting CATS to the other button, the cruise control button? I never use control anway

Old 03-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

All you need do is break that same ignition wire to to the controller to turn it on and off.

If you don't want it connected to the sport button, you could do a switch a couple of ways that I can think of:
  1. Put a switch in the boot. Simple, but not ideal for accessibility.
  2. Use a 12V relay and run a wire form the coil up to the cockpit somewhere so you can toggle it. You'd need to find 12V somewhere, but that's not too hard.
  3. Run two wires from the boot and remotely mount the switch in the cockpit. You'd need to make sure the switch and wires could handle the current, but it probably isn't very much.

It might be possible to connect it to the cruise switches on the steering wheel but that would be a little more complicated as those are momentary switches and wired to some control electronics.

Old 06-09-2014, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CATs in a non cats vehicle

From one of the previous post I gather you can activate CAT in a non cats vehicle manually by connecting power directly to the shock damper connections

Is a 12 volt supply needed.

Thanks

Old 06-09-2014, 11:39 AM
Veteran Member

Non-CATS shocks don't have the connector at the top, so there is nothing to connect the wires to.

Old 03-06-2018, 01:36 PM
Received 24 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi Charlie

Thanks for the thread, great, I must give this a try! One comment if I may: you can use a FET as suggested but there is a risk for ESD damage due to the unprotected gate. There are simple ways to protect for this sort of thing - I can advise if anyone is interested. In my case, I will try by switching the 47k resistor directly to ground (the ground point itself should be close to the CATS module).

Old 03-01-2022, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did similar to this on my XK8 using the old 'analog' method of relay and a switch. The ADC ontrol unit is missing from my car ( removed by P/O for some reason ) so I wired direclty to the multi-pin connector on the wriring harness using small crimp pins which fit snugly into each terminal / recepticle.

I picked up the 5A ignition feed through a switch to operate a relay which switches the 20A feed directly to all 4 corners. I'm going to run it like this for a while, I have purchased a 2nd hand control unit to try which may or may not work, depending upon whether the accelerometers are functional or not. The shocks certainly switch from hard to soft though using this hard-wired method. The good old KISS principal always works.

Reading your entry up on 1 mar 22 - I'm concerned that the dampers were rated to 12V? Any subsequent conclusions from you? - (did they burn out?!)

Old 03-02-2022, 01:29 AM
Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

I just did similar to this on my XK8 using the old 'analog' method of relay and a switch. The ADC ontrol unit is missing from my car ( removed by P/O for some reason ) so I wired direclty to the multi-pin connector on the wriring harness using small crimp pins which fit snugly into each terminal / recepticle.

I picked up the 5A ignition feed through a switch to operate a relay which switches the 20A feed directly to all 4 corners. I'm going to run it like this for a while, I have purchased a 2nd hand control unit to try which may or may not work, depending upon whether the accelerometers are functional or not. The shocks certainly switch from hard to soft though using this hard-wired method. The good old KISS principal always works.
Would you say there is much difference in the way the car handles? I also want to downgrade the shocks when I come to replace them.

Old 03-02-2022, 03:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuddlesworth
Would you say there is much difference in the way the car handles? I also want to downgrade the shocks when I come to replace them.

If one takes a few corners in a spirited fashion it’s pretty easy to tell the difference in dampening when the CATS system is activated. The XK8 Shocks are a compromise that puts dampening between the two setting of the XKR, with a pronounced bias towards a softer ride.

Depending on how you like to drive the car, that may or may not be a buzz kill for you. Personally I would miss the versatility of the CATS arrangement.

Z

Old 03-02-2022, 04:05 AM
Received 187 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by zray
If one takes a few corners in a spirited fashion it’s pretty easy to tell the difference in dampening when the CATS system is activated. The XK8 Shocks are a compromise that puts dampening between the two setting of the XKR, with a pronounced bias towards a softer ride.

Depending on how you like to drive the car, that may or may not be a buzz kill for you. Personally I would miss the versatility of the CATS arrangement.

Z
I didn't think it would make that big of a difference. That has changed my opinion somewhat. I don't like to hoone it all the time but every now and then down country lanes I do like to drive more spiritedly. Perhaps I will be keeping the CATS system then.

Old 03-02-2022, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,684 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Deciding to keep the CATS shocks is admittedly not an easy decision given the expense and the current low-ish value of these cars.

It one has only driven the XK8 the benefits of CAR
TS may not be evident. But these cars are heavy, especially given their size. To me , the softer shocks contribute to “wallowing” if a corner is taken at a
speed greater than sedate. I’m not expecting a hard sports car feeling from a GT car, but I don’t want it to have a sedan feeling either.

Z

Old 03-03-2022, 04:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 918 Likes on 654 Posts

Charlie,
Hey Buddy, How about a couple of Photos of the Aston? I'd love to see it!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch