XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Central Locking

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2022, 08:43 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Central Locking

I have the problem with my central locking cycling through unlock/lock 5 times every time I unlock the car. I have read through a few posts and it seems to point to the door ajar microswitch in the door lock mechanism. Would anybody have a diagram of the mechanism and be able to point out the switch I need to change?

Many Thanks,
Kev.

Old 04-06-2022, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Kev, don't take this wrong, but I think you may be jumping to a conclusion here. A few things changed between our years, so my list of door switch indicators is restricted.

First, I saw this same thing often enough in the winter - when battery gets a bit low. If you have a charger, give her a charge, see if it goes away.

Did you say it was 1 door or both? If both, I can't imagine how a door switch can be the culprit.

What happens to the window drop? If a door switch fails its going to think the door's closed even when open - therfore everytime you touch the handle the window should drop! If it thinks door is open, well locks shouldn't work, puddle light would be on in my yr., passenger / driver door open message will be displayed on dash!

My bet is on the battery, hope so = ez fix.

John

Old 04-07-2022, 02:49 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

I have the same ...when the door lock operates if the microswitch does not close the ECU tries again about 6 times and gives up. It is my opinion that if either door fails to show locked that it cycles. Its the micro switch that closes when the actuator is fully pulled in. You can start with the driver's door and check that but if that fails to cure it you need to go to the passenger as well. When its warm I am going to have both doors open and both cards off and fix this Fokker. I got to the point where I can get the whole lot out in 6 min. You may only need to bend the operating lever on the micro switch. I have an aftermarket set of door lock actuators I intend to fit it it fights too hard.
Engaging D does not have the 6 pulses but just one so that can seem to work OK.
The diagram is in jagrepair.com

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 04-07-2022 at 02:51 AM.
Old 04-07-2022, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

P, which microswitch are you pointing out? When I read the gent's question I assumed he meant the door open/closed switch. Your point about the door lock status makes sense. Is there/where is the switch that signals: door locked status? Your suggestion makes good sense.
John

Old 04-07-2022, 11:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 503 Posts

When you get the mechanism;m out you will see there is a motor-driven plunger that goes in and out . At the end of its stroke it operates a microswitch. Bend the operating blade a little and try again.
The difficult bit to shift is the link with the ball joint . I flipped it off with a 3 ft crowbar.

The following users liked this post:
Johnken (04-07-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 07:23 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnken
P, which microswitch are you pointing out? When I read the gent's question I assumed he meant the door open/closed switch. Your point about the door lock status makes sense. Is there/where is the switch that signals: door locked status? Your suggestion makes good sense.
John

Me being daft John, it's not the door ajar switch as its not showing the door as open, just the cycling exactly as P described.

I'll get the door cards off and take a look, hopefully the switch will just be sticky. I'll start with the drivers door as P suggested as the handle gasket is goosed on this door and could be letting moisture in.

Kev.

Old 04-16-2024, 09:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kev-P-,
have you been able to fix the issue? I have the same. When locking car by fob, it cycles few times, then triggers alarm, when locking by key, no issues.
I noticed drivers side door handle is not moving when using fob. So dismantled the door, took out the latch and there are three microswitches.
My guess is this one:

So I wonder if you changed this one and the problem was gone?
Unlike other similar topics I dont have the issue with inetrior lights, door adjar indicator or windows not working properly...
Thank you.