XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Central Locking U/S and sets alarm off

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Central Locking U/S and sets alarm off

Hi, I have an 02 XK8 convertible .When I try to lock the car using the key fob I can hear both doors lock and unlock twice and then the car alarm goes nuts.I have tried the soft reset by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes but still no luck.I believe the battery is in good condition because it is connected to a trickle charger. Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks

Old 07-01-2009, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Just logic unencumbered by knowledge but it would seem that there is a door switch that has failed leaving the Body Processor Module / Security Module to believe that there is a latch or door open. There has been several posts on door handle micro switch failure.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:15 AM

Thanks test point,I thought that if the car believed a door or bonnet/boot was open that it would come up on the dash ??.

Last edited by Jag Convertible; 07-01-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,150 Likes on 753 Posts

Are you sayiing that after you disable the alarm, and open the door...it goes off? Or, when you arm it, it goes off on its own?

Old 07-01-2009, 05:26 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by test point
Just logic unencumbered by knowledge but it would seem that there is a door switch that has failed leaving the Body Processor Module / Security Module to believe that there is a latch or door open. There has been several posts on door handle micro switch failure.
If I have a door open and I try to set the alarm on my 2000, the system beeps 1 time and it's a different tone than when the system sets the alarm. Once I shut the door or trunk/bonnet or hood, the alarm sets, locks the doors and beeps to let me know the alarm is set.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:46 AM

H20boy, the answer to your question is no.I get out of the car , try to lock the doors using the lock button on the key.I can hear both doors lock and unlock twice , then the siren starts. So I have to hit the unlock button to turn the siren off. I tried today to lock the car using the key in the door lock and the doors locked no problem at all. Atleast I know now that I can go to the shops and lock the car the old fashioned way . Thanks for your suggestions guys.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Interesting, so it locks with the key fob, then unlocks (happens twice?) itself, then alarm goes off. I'm wondering if there would any codes associated with that fault?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jag Convertible
H20boy, the answer to your question is no.I get out of the car , try to lock the doors using the lock button on the key.I can hear both doors lock and unlock twice , then the siren starts. So I have to hit the unlock button to turn the siren off. I tried today to lock the car using the key in the door lock and the doors locked no problem at all. Atleast I know now that I can go to the shops and lock the car the old fashioned way . Thanks for your suggestions guys.
Hi, i have recently purchased a year 2000 XKR here in the UK, the car is fantasic but i does exactly the same as you describe...

Get out the car.....lock using the lock button on the keyfob....can hear the doors lock and unlock several times then the alarm(horn) sounds....to stop i press the unlock button on the keyfob...this stops the alarm sounding, leaving the doors locked and after several moments the alarm indicator red light in the center consol starts flashing and i can walk away.!!!

Jag Convertable i just wondered if you ever solved the problem?

I know i get round it but it is annoying as the horn sounds....it seems something is not right. Any suggestions from you guys would be appreciated

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Veteran member

I would first try the 'mechanical' investigation, but taking off the door panel and seeing if the locking/unlocking mechanism is easy to engage using the handle. Lubricate the working parts of the latch, perphaps its binding just enough to prevent the latch from automatically locking, keeping the circuit open, thereby setting off the alarm after a few moments. That is where I would start.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks for the response h20boy, sounds like good advice...i'll start in that area and post whether it cures the problem or not....thanks again

Old 07-03-2011, 09:56 AM

Well at the moment seems to be behaving itself ..... After what seemed like weeks of continuous rain here in the UK, the weather has finally improved ...... thankfully allowing both sodden car and owner to dry out somewhat............. taken the chance to do some real decent runs out, using the car and cranking up the milage .........surprisingly the locking system now seems to have sorted itself out with no imput from myself and is currently behaving as it should!!!!!!!........Coicidence?... maybe....but who cares, i'm just thoroughly enjoying the car

Old 07-04-2011, 03:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 639 Likes on 441 Posts

Cool , keep enjoying your ride

Old 07-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Hi

I had an identical problem with a 1995 x300 Soverign the door microswitch was the problem, cured with a part from a breakers. Though I just replaced the switch some techies insist in replacing the whole door latch.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 973 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag Convertible
Hi, I have an 02 XK8 convertible .When I try to lock the car using the key fob I can hear both doors lock and unlock twice and then the car alarm goes nuts.I have tried the soft reset by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes but still no luck.I believe the battery is in good condition because it is connected to a trickle charger. Any help would be appreciated .
Thanks
I think what you have is a failed "Lock Status" switch in one of the door latches. This is NOT the replaceable "Door Ajar" switch some have referred to. The Lock Status switch is integral to the door latch. Usually the only repair is to replace the latch; but I won't rule out the possibility that some industrious person could replace the switch. I believe it is the same type of switch as the ajar switch, I'm just not positive.

If you try to lock an XK8 with the remote, while a door is open, I believe the symptoms you describe can be duplicated.

**Correction: A functioning Door Ajar switch will signal the door is open and cause the security system to beep at you, and NOT lock the car. Please forget I shot my mouth off too soon. That example I believe applies to an X300.

Cheers,

Last edited by xjrguy; 07-04-2011 at 02:18 PM.