XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Chain tensioners

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Is there any harm running the car in this condition? The rattle is very short time, as a kid counting in a game ( one 1 thousand, two 1 thousand ), this rattling is maybe two 1 thousand count long. I notice at cold running the car there seems to be a somewhat "slow" acculturation in the gas peddle? When car is at running temp I don't seem to feel this, or am I imaging this?
My Indy quoted me 9 hour labor price.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

No, 2 seconds of ticking of the VVT is not going to break anything . . . but . . . at this point I, personally, could not let this go without seeing the oil pressure on first start up, idling and at 2k rpm. The VVT ticking could be a symptom of another problem. An oil pressure problem could very well cause other problems.

From the very beginning this would appear to be an oil pressure problem. Measuring the pressure would seem to have been the best place to start.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:24 AM

Very well, I will take car to a different Indy and ask for a fresh start oil pressure reading.
Thank you very much.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:29 AM

Would it be worth the effort to do another oil change with running the "gumout" pre oil cleansing solution before draining and replacing oil?

Old 10-30-2015, 06:41 AM
Received 6,332 Likes on 5,517 Posts

If there's doubt about the oil pressure the sooner you get tit checked the better.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:28 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

When you take it to another shop do not provide input or comments from the other shop or from other people and see what they find then provide input if necessary. You do not want them to be misdirected.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:34 AM

Good.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:14 PM

Where is the oil sensor located? I want to disconnect it to make sure my oil dash light is working.

Originally Posted by Gus
When you take it to another shop do not provide input or comments from the other shop or from other people and see what they find then provide input if necessary. You do not want them to be misdirected.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:48 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,214 Likes on 1,703 Posts

If i recall it is at the oil filter.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Originally Posted by redxk8
Where is the oil sensor located? I want to disconnect it to make sure my oil dash light is working.

The following users liked this post:
test point (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 06:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

Dash light ? ? ? ?

The oil 'gauge' is your dash light. It is 'illuminated' to mid range by a pressure sensor on/off switch at 7psi.

Last edited by test point; 10-30-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-30-2015, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,819 Likes on 2,246 Posts

But there's also the red low pressure warning light by the gauge that comes on with the key in pos.2.

The following users liked this post:
test point (10-30-2015)
Old 10-30-2015, 11:54 PM

Right. The light is on at position 2, so if I discontent the sensor it should trigger the light indicating sensor working.

No response to my question of using an oil addictive to clean oil system? I picked up some "Rislone" engine treatment? It removes and prevents sludge, can this be used safely?

Last edited by redxk8; 10-31-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:39 AM
Received 189 Likes on 123 Posts

First, I would quit doing things and then asking the forum if it's alright. It would be a lot better and I'm sure you would get much more help, if you ask the people on the forum your questions before you do something. Second, check your messages before posting them. Some of them are most confusing as to what you mean. Third, it sounds like your spending an awful lot of money trying to run down a problem you assume you have and wasting a lot of time you could be using enjoying your car. From what you have said, here on the forum, I would assume that the car has spent more time in a shop, then your enjoying it since you've had it. You stated you drove it 350 miles when you picked it up from the dealer with not one little problem. Drive the damn thing and enjoy it. Low oil pressure is no big thing on start up. Most cars have that problem. Unless you have a "Pre-oiler" system, when you start a car, it can't have oil pressure until the ' little gears' get together and give you pressure. If there was a low oil pressure on this engine, it would have raised it's ugly head long before you bought it.
I have a 1980 V8 (351Mod) Ford pickup, that when I start it, I hear all kinds of funny noises and if I watch the oil pressure needle, I sometimes wonder if it will ever move. The noises go away shortly there after and while I'm driving I see on the gage just enough pressure to keep it in the green, which is well below the center of the gage. If it ever gets below the (in the green stage), I'll do something about it, but it only has about 285 thousand miles on it, so I'm sure it has a way to go.
If you want to try something that has fixed many a problem, go buy your self a couple of quarts of "Marvel Mystery Oil". Use one quart at a time and drive the car a week or so, then add the second quart. Works wonders sometimes and what the hell--you've at least driven the car for awhile.

Cheers

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 10-31-2015 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Default Really

Wow chuck, you seem more upset then me? First of all I'm not "doing" then asking input. I am just trying to do what's right without throwing money aimlessly in the car. Secondly I believe if one owns a high performance car one should maintain it to it's fullest potential. Rather then jumping all over a person on this form who is only seeking help, try encouraging and helping? I will not apologize for not being as verse as you, just looking for others experience and knowledge, after all is this not what the sight is for?

Originally Posted by Chuck Schexnayder
First, I would quit doing things and then asking the forum if it's alright. It would be a lot better and I'm sure you would get much more help, if you ask the people on the forum your questions before you do something. Second, check your messages before posting them. Some of them are most confusing as to what you mean. Third, it sounds like your spending an awful lot of money trying to run down a problem you assume you have and wasting a lot of time you could be using enjoying your car. From what you have said, here on the forum, I would assume that the car has spent more time in a shop, then your enjoying it since you've had it. You stated you drove it 350 miles when you picked it up from the dealer with not one little problem. Drive the damn thing and enjoy it. Low oil pressure is no big thing on start up. Most cars have that problem. Unless you have a "Pre-oiler" system, when you start a car, it can't have oil pressure until the ' little gears' get together and give you pressure. If there was a low oil pressure on this engine, it would have raised it's ugly head long before you bought it.
I have a 1980 V8 (351Mod) Ford pickup, that when I start it, I hear all kinds of funny noises and if I watch the oil pressure needle, I sometimes wonder if it will ever move. The noises go away shortly there after and while I'm driving I see on the gage just enough pressure to keep it in the green, which is well below the center of the gage. If it ever gets below the (in the green stage), I'll do something about it, but it only has about 285 thousand miles on it, so I'm sure it has a way to go.
If you want to try something that has fixed many a problem, go buy your self a couple of quarts of "Marvel Mystery Oil". Use one quart at a time and drive the car a week or so, then add the second quart. Works wonders sometimes and what the hell--you've at least driven the car for awhile.

Cheers

Old 11-01-2015, 12:42 AM

I'm sorry if my comments to you have you thinking I am upset, to the contrary, my comments to you only offer advice, so that folks here on the forum can help you in the best way possible. There is a whole world of knowledge (and those two words "whole world") is an understatement to say the lease--- here on this forum, but if post are made that don't make things as clear as possible, most won't bother to offer help or, offer you help that may not be the correct advice.
You have taken your car to one of the best foreign car repair shops in Panama City, and possibly the Pan Handle, so their suggestions should be considered reliable, especially if your getting advice from the owner and not some mechanic in the back. I too question
hours required and prices, but like most reliable shops, they get those figures from a book and possibly better prices and labor times can be negotiated from the owner, but not from members of the forum, who's intentions are just, but may not be from a known source. (what's really wrong)
As to my being better versed then you, forget that idea. I have a world of car knowledge, but when it comes to modern Jaguar vehicles such as the XK8 and XJ8, I'm a newbe, although I have found that most things on these cars are quite normal nuts and bolts and wrenches, once you get past all the covers etc. When it comes to the computer controlled items, you will see me here asking many- many questions and request for help. On these items, I'm as dumb as a rock.

Cheers

Old 11-01-2015, 06:50 AM

Thank you for your words encouragement Chuck, however how do you know who my Indy is? I don't believe I ever mentioned this information?

Old 11-01-2015, 10:20 PM

"how do you know????"
If you go back through your post and look for my name, it might help......

Old 11-07-2015, 12:35 AM

Getting another quote. Been waiting for Indy appointment. Last 2 of 3 days cold start no rattle. Low rpm acceleration is not smooth?

Old 11-17-2015, 07:20 PM

Car fixed, $2500 for VVT and while they had engine apart put in lower chain guards.
Is it true that this rattle at cold start is first sign of bad vvt and if you continue to drive would be catastrophic engine failure? By belief, and that of my mechanic is the failing VVT was present before sale of car to me. Can anyone confirm this chain of symptoms and then engine failure?

Old 11-24-2015, 05:50 PM

No help?

Quick Reply: Chain tensioners