XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

changed brakes xk8

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question changed brakes xk8

I changed the brakes on my jaguar xk8. when I applied them they were mushy and went almost to the floor but they did stop the car. does any one know if I need to bleed them or what to do? help!!!!!! p.s when I tap the brakes in park I here a click in were you shift is that normal I don't remember hearing tha t before i changed them?

Old 07-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Pretty obvious that you need to bleed the brake system. It has been discussed that the bleed nipple is not exactly at the very top when the caliper is fully installed. One of the attachment bolts needs to be removed and the other loosened to allow the caliper to be swiveled for the nipple to be at the top. I know I pumped 2 quarts of DOT 4 through before getting all the air out of mine before hearing that tip.

I believe that there is a 'shift out of park' interlock in the J gate assembly that could be the source of your click.

. . . and welcome to the forum by the way.

Old 07-23-2011, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the both.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

If you didn't disconnect any brake fluid lines, and your master cylinder always had enough fluid, perhaps the initial mushiness was just the new pads seating to the rotors, after you had compressed the pistons to remove/replace the pads? Is it still mushy, or did it go away after a few brake operations?

If you replaced the calipers, or did remove the brake lines from them, ignore this.

The click is normal - it's the brake interlock solenoid that allows you to shift out of park only with brakes applied.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 07-23-2011 at 05:03 PM.
The following users liked this post:
natedogg11 (07-25-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 07:02 PM

I bled them and i'm still having the same problem. I'm trying to prevent having to go to the dealer to have this taken care of I've change brake on my other vehicle's and I never had this problem volvo/ danali. Any other ideas?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:06 PM

I just read your email again. Are you saying that the nipple has to be at the top in order to bleed them properly. if that is th case I MAY HAVE TO DO THEM AGAIN.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Nate
Here's the procedure from the JTIS

Position vehicle on a four-post lift.Open engine compartment and fit paint work protection covers to fenders. Make sure the brake-fluid level does not fall below the fluid reservoir 'MIN' (minimum) mark when bleeding the brake system.Fill fluid reservoir to the 'MAX' (maximum) mark. Prepare the left-hand front, brake-caliper for bleeding.Remove dust cap.Connect bleed pipe and fluid container to bleed nipple.Bleed the brake.Apply pressure to brake pedal Open bleed nipple.Fully depress brake pedal.Close bleed nipple.Release brake pedal.Wait two seconds to allow system to prime.Repeat procedure until air-free brake fluid is expelled from the caliper. Tighten bleed nipple to:Front caliper bleed nipple: 4-6 Nm.Rear caliper bleed nipple: 8-11 Nm. Following the procedure above, bleed the brakes in the order shown:Left-Hand Front,Right-Hand Front,Left- Hand Rear,Right-Hand Rear. Remove brake fluid spillage immediately from paint work with clean water.Fill fluid reservoir.Fill reservoir to the 'MAX' mark.Fit filler cap.Start engine.Check for correct brake-pedal travel and pressure.Apply brake pedal and check around vehicle for brake fluid leaks.Make sure brake fluid level is at the 'MAX' mark.

You can down load the JTIS in the sticky's. I would also use Test Points advise of having the bleed nipple to the top