XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Charging Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2022, 06:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,820 Likes on 2,247 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
The Coupe has been in the repair shop...Someone bumped it in a Parking Lot....Looks good now but when I got Home it would not start! I guess they ran the Battery down! I put my old Battery Charger on it a while ago. It's my old Schauer Charger....It sez it will go to 10 Volts...I plugged it in and it is running....BUT......after about 2 minutes it shuts off and rest for a couple minutes ten starts-up again for a few minutes.....I don't know if it is working or not.....It will only charge to 10 Volts, as it doesn't have 12 on it......It's only around 30 or 40 years old.....Should I turn it off or what?

Billy Clyde
Could it possibly be 10 amps which is typical for a charger? And does it actually shut off or just drop to a lower charge rate?

Old 06-22-2022, 02:05 PM
Received 131 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by jgwjr
I now may have to add another dimension to the battery problem. I went to check on the battery itself when I was greeted by an uninvited guest. As soon as I pulled up the cover for battery, spare tire and tools, a rather healthy looking mouse scurried away. No telling how long it had been a resident. As soon as I can dispose of him I will give a look to as much of the wiring as I can easily see. Several more attempts at starting resulted in a "sizzling" sound which I associate with a failed attempt to make an electric circuit. No sign of power to the several lights I had tried.
John near Baltimore
Two important points about the mouse:
1- Rodent **** is very corrosive and creates open circuits. My house AC failed as the mice had built a nest in the outdoor box. I had to replace all contacts. You might try wire brush and contact cleaner at the terminals and anywhere the critter was nesting.
2- Fabric softener sheets intended for the clothes dryer is a very effective anti-rodent protection device. I stow my classic cars with dryer sheets in all four corners. This started when a cute white mouse stuck his head out of my '63 Lincoln crossmember. Since the addition of a box of Bounce sheets, no problem. Particularly important to protect soft parts, like your seats and upholstery.

Old 06-23-2022, 02:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 748 Likes on 510 Posts

To check that old charger ...with it not connected to a battery put your voltmeter across the terminals ...its old style so expect about 15v . If it only gives you 10v then its probably for a 6v battery.

Old 06-23-2022, 05:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 897 Posts

AGM batteries can be revived. It's a matter of tricking the charger (at first) into believing that the battery has and can hold 9 or 10v. After that, usually the battery will recover and be fine.

Take the battery that needs to be charged, put it in parallel with a good battery using jumper cables, then connect the charger and charge for the first good while, that way. Bats in parallel... Once the "bad" battery is up to 9 or 10v, remove the jumpers and continue the charge the bad battery. I will usually keep the charger on the battery for several days in "recondition" mode (or how ever it's termed) for days just to let the top off, reach the top. It's a good thing.

Mice,,, well, that's a longer story, lol

Last edited by JayJagJay; 06-23-2022 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-23-2022, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 919 Likes on 654 Posts

Thanks for all the assistance, Gentlemen!

I just found out that my old Charger is a collectable! I looked it up on the Internet and there is a Group of Guys that collect them....Now that's hard to believe!! Anyway, I left the Charger on over night and yesterday, Morning about 10AM, when I unplugged the Charger and hooked-up the Battery the darn thing came alive! Set the the Windows and hit the Starter and off I went....Just like nothing had ever happened!

The Battery is a "Die Haard" and not to old and I guess since it had been in the Shop....that they ran it down......but once again after all these years the old Charger came across for me!
Thanks for all the help!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

The following users liked this post:
michaelh (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Well in 40 years as an auto electrician I never heard of that parallel battery crap so let's just consign it to old-wived tails. if a battery is fuc***ed its fuc**ed ..get that into your head.

Old 06-23-2022, 11:45 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pistnbroke
Well in 40 years as an auto electrician I never heard of that parallel battery crap so let's just consign it to old-wived tails. if a battery is fuc***ed its fuc**ed ..get that into your head.
Good Brotha... The more you talk,,,, all this 40yr this 40yr that. It's been my experience that anyone who goes around touting in that manner,,,, well, is suspect. And, youre so often just wrong about the simplest things. Anyways,,,

It's not rocket science...

Old 06-23-2022, 12:42 PM
Veteran Member
Old 06-23-2022, 01:10 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,702 Likes on 1,014 Posts

My take is, both approaches are correct .

Yes, a battery that won’t accept normal charging procedures can be “tricked” using the parallel battery method. I confess I’ve done it myself numerous times when I was professionally restoring classic motorcycles and classic cars.

However, and this is a big “but”, once a battery needs the “trick” to come back to life, it is never the same 100% again and needs an occasional “re-boot” done to extend its life. I had more than a few “come-backs” due to battery issues on both cars and motorcycles that, after the battery resurrection, would sit unused for periods of time, as is apt to be the case with classics not driven every day.

In these examples of mine, when a battery is obsolete, it’s understandable that whatever one can do to keep the vehicle period correct is acceptable.

But when a replacement battery can be sourced, then I think it’s better to replace the battery vs. bringing the old battery back to life which in my experience, entails some unwanted baggage.

Z

Old 06-23-2022, 01:40 PM
Veteran Member

Pistnbroke,& JayJagJay
Hi Guys,

Life is a wonderful thing and so are Jaguars, which is what this is all about anyway......Not this or that.....You Guys are Great and I enjoy reading everything you write....Keep up the Good Work! Remember though, sometimes you may be off a little!

Sorry! I've been messing around with Cars, Combines & Tractors and all kinds of Farm Equipment, Hot Rods and VW's and for the last 15 years with X-100's....I bought this old Battery Charger when I was around 20 years old and as you can see it still works! Whatever you think is fine with me but I can go out to the Garage right now and Start the XKR, without a problem.....All this with an overnight charge! I'm happy to say that my little Charger works just fine! although it is 65 years old now!

Can you believe there's an "Internet forum" where "Schauer" Battery Charger Owners? They can go and talk about their Battery Charger! I bought mine back when I was changing the Heads, Cam and Lifters on my 1956 Chevy 210 "Del Ray" Coupe, that came with a Corvette Motor and had (2) 4-Bl....It was Black also!

Live is good and Good Things Happen!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch (That's in TEXAS)

Last edited by bcprice36; 06-23-2022 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Spelling
michaelh (06-23-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 01:47 PM
Veteran Member

Billy, you have the luck of the Irish, which is supposed to be a very good thing. Time for you to buy a lottery ticket.

Z

Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 PM
Veteran Member

zray,

Since those Ole' Boys from England don't think my Old Schauer Battery Charger could charge my Dead Battery....I decided to look up the Charger on the Web! and found one for sale! It's called a "Schauer 6 &10 Amp "Vintage" Master Battery Charger (Model C6612) and you can buy one for: $249.00. It appears to be used....
Apparently, they don't make them like they used to! ...It's on eBay..........
I don't remember what I paid for mine back when...but it couldn't have been more than 20.Bucks!.. (1956 or 1957)....But it still works and apparently works "Miracles"!

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch

Last edited by bcprice36; 06-23-2022 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Speling
michaelh (06-25-2022)
Old 06-23-2022, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

It pays to hang on to your stuff.

i only wish mom hadn’t tossed all of my Marvel Comic books when I left for college . Just every Spider-Man alone from issue #1 forward would’ve been a cool $1,000,000

Z

Old 06-24-2022, 12:28 AM
Veteran Member

BC these old chargers were particularly good on old batteries because the output voltage is not steady or smoothed like a modern switched-mode unit.
I always said to my students ...Batteries are like women ...better when young but not to say you cannot play a good tune on an old fiddle . Prone to be unpredictable and defy logic.
Always remember of course you can put bulldust on YouTube and get paid for it ....hey lets start tipping the electrolyte out and replacing it or add baking soda .....
Tank of gas for the XK8 in UK £120 ( $140)..new battery delivered £54. ($60) That says it all.

Last edited by Pistnbroke; 06-24-2022 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-24-2022, 05:36 PM
Veteran Member

Pistnbroke & zray,

The Battery, a "Die Hard" is around 2 years old! While the Jag was in the "Body Shop" for repair to the Front....They must have run the Battery down while fooling around with the Right Head Light! A pick-up backed into "Sugar" while She was parked at the Barber Shop.......They put in a new Head Light Assembly and messed around with the Fog Lights up Front.....She started when I picked her up but the next Morning, she was DEAD......I hooked her up to my old Charger and walked away.......A couple hours later I came back out and the Charger was setting on -0-! I started to unhook the Charger but all of a sudden the Needle Popped over to 10 again and was Charging again! I watched it for a while and it did the same thing a couple more times and then settled down on 10......When I came out the next Morning, the needle was on about 3, so I let it stay on until Noon and took the Charger off and started the Car!

Today, the Battery is just like it was 2 weeks ago! Starts right up with no problems! Go figure! OK?

That's all about the Battery and the Old Charger.............

Billy Clyde @ Cinco Ranch.

Last edited by bcprice36; 06-24-2022 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-25-2022, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member

Charger has an internal overheat trip so running at 10 A it maybe got too hot hence the on and off until the current dropped.
Only run down and left for a short period should be OK its when its left for a long time that recharge is a problem.
Check the battery voltage just after starting when the idle reves are high just to be sure the alternator is OK ..you should have low 14s