XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Cheap 02 XKR convertible in Dallas review

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 03:14 PM
Received 696 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Cheap 02 XKR convertible in Dallas review

Hi folks. I checked out an 02 XKR convertible in Dallas advertised in craigslist on the cheap (7500). 92K miles and thrashed. Consider this a PPI for anyone interested.

Originally black over tan. Repainted to a pretty awful metallic blue. Paint job is not all that bad, but certainly not to taste. I would guess this thing was dinged at some point. The left headlight is incorrect (no washer jet). The panels are straight, although I noted that the passenger door seems to be hanging a little low at the top. I didn't detect any hinge wear.
All the exterior bits and wheels look good. Exhaust is good, but seemed louder than I recall for a stock XKR.
I never got as far as checking all the lights.

Engine runs well, but the supercharger bearings are really howling. It shows evidence of a water leak. No time spent looking for it. Engine compartment is very dirty. Bring pesticide to kill the spiders before sticking your hand in there. :-) Very dirty oil and a general look of lack of maintenance. No sludge visible through breather.

Brakes were very spongy.
Steering was tight and shocks seemed acceptable.

Now the bad.

The interior is just a mess. I'll list what I saw before leaving in disgust:
Left door panel hanging loose and torn.
Sill carpet on driver side torn.
Interior rear view mirror has failed (black).
Glove box is only latching one side.
All the center console cubby latches and lids are broken.
Overhead lamp console broken and hanging by the wires.
Driver seat only moves fwd/back and straight up down. controls are hanging loose. No headrest adjustment.
Passenger seat didn't work at all. Controls are hanging loose.
Steering wheel moves up/down but no in/out.
Surprisingly, no warning or advisory lights on save for low coolant.
Wood looked good overall.
Leather for the most part was ok. A good cleaning and feeding is in order.

I couldn't raise the top (apparently my fault). I am told is was new 2 years ago. The various cushions and insulation I could seen between the headliner and top looked really nasty. The headliner (that I could see) was very dirty. I didn't bother checking window operation as by this point I was ready to depart.

The boot smelled badly of mildew. He mentioned replacing a boot seal recently.

So there you go. Half the price of a really nice one and probably fun for someone with the tine and determination to make it right.

Regards,

Marty

The following 2 users liked this post by mhminnich:
Johnken (11-17-2016), Ungn (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 04:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I was curious if it had Brembos.

The car looks good on paper with the Double 5's and all, but he'll probably need to take another $1000 off before it sells.

The nose looks low, so its needs a full suspension O/H.

$3K in repairs + $7.5K = $10.5K before you have a reliable daily driver... If it was a Coupe, I'd drive to Dallas and lowball him.

Old 11-17-2016, 04:46 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by mhminnich
Hi folks. I checked out an 02 XKR convertible in Dallas advertised in craigslist on the cheap (7500). 92K miles and thrashed. Consider this a PPI for anyone interested.

Originally black over tan. Repainted to a pretty awful metallic blue. Paint job is not all that bad, but certainly not to taste. I would guess this thing was dinged at some point. The left headlight is incorrect (no washer jet). The panels are straight, although I noted that the passenger door seems to be hanging a little low at the top. I didn't detect any hinge wear.
All the exterior bits and wheels look good. Exhaust is good, but seemed louder than I recall for a stock XKR.
I never got as far as checking all the lights.

Engine runs well, but the supercharger bearings are really howling. It shows evidence of a water leak. No time spent looking for it. Engine compartment is very dirty. Bring pesticide to kill the spiders before sticking your hand in there. :-) Very dirty oil and a general look of lack of maintenance. No sludge visible through breather.

Brakes were very spongy.
Steering was tight and shocks seemed acceptable.

Now the bad.

The interior is just a mess. I'll list what I saw before leaving in disgust:
Left door panel hanging loose and torn.
Sill carpet on driver side torn.
Interior rear view mirror has failed (black).
Glove box is only latching one side.
All the center console cubby latches and lids are broken.
Overhead lamp console broken and hanging by the wires.
Driver seat only moves fwd/back and straight up down. controls are hanging loose. No headrest adjustment.
Passenger seat didn't work at all. Controls are hanging loose.
Steering wheel moves up/down but no in/out.
Surprisingly, no warning or advisory lights on save for low coolant.
Wood looked good overall.
Leather for the most part was ok. A good cleaning and feeding is in order.

I couldn't raise the top (apparently my fault). I am told is was new 2 years ago. The various cushions and insulation I could seen between the headliner and top looked really nasty. The headliner (that I could see) was very dirty. I didn't bother checking window operation as by this point I was ready to depart.

The boot smelled badly of mildew. He mentioned replacing a boot seal recently.

So there you go. Half the price of a really nice one and probably fun for someone with the tine and determination to make it right.

Regards,

Marty
Wonder if the owner of the car knows your 'reviewing' it online

Old 11-17-2016, 06:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by hm1
Wonder if the owner of the car knows your 'reviewing' it online
I doubt it. There are currently about 20 X100's on the Dallas Craigslist and only a couple appear to have checked out the forum.

The easiest way to tell is when easy to fix stuff is left unfixed.