XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Click from rear wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Click from rear wheel?

I'm a new owner of a 2004 XKR convertible. I've noticed a clicking sound from the left rear wheel that increases with road speed. Any ideas what it could be?

The car has large BBS wheels with trim rings. I read an old thread here that leads me to believe that the trim ring could be the cause of the click. If so, is there any risk in driving with it as is? Is it just an annoyance or can real damage be occurring?

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Click from rear wheel?-photo-18.jpg  
Old 05-05-2013, 01:07 PM

I took a closer look at the left wheel trim ring. There are some scuffs, but no big dings or dents. I also looked at all the wheel rim bolts and they all looked tight, no sign that any had backed out.

However, the chrome covers on one of the lug nuts was a bit loose and could wiggle around. The lug nut was tight, though.

Could the lug nut cover be the cause of the clicking?

Old 05-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,185 Likes on 1,625 Posts

yes. well known problem.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:47 PM

It seems the clicking was due to some sub-frame bolts that needed re-torquing. I've only had the car back for a day, but it seems to have stopped completely.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,108 Likes on 764 Posts

Can you say which bolts? I have a click or rattle I can't quite pinpoint but hadn't thought to check the bolts.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM

They didn't go into great detail. They said suspension sub frame bolts. Maybe you should just try to retorque them all.

Sorry I don't have more info.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,868 Likes on 12,186 Posts

It's unusual for rear suspension bolts to loosen off. The problem is more often struggling to remove them when working on the suspension.

The Sub Frame Bushes (RH circled in red) are a regular wear item which can cause metal-to-metal contact. This was one of the things I thought of as a possibility when I read your first post:

Click from rear wheel?-xk8-rear-suspension.jpg

It may be worth asking them exactly which bolts they had to retorque.

Graham

Old 05-31-2013, 08:05 PM

Well, the click came back rather quickly and I have more to report.

First, I tried buying some of the Adamesh solid lug nuts. Problem for me is that my wheels (BBS "Detroit") use the long shaft lug nuts. While these did fit snug against the wheel, I didn't like the looks of them in my wheel. There is a deep hole for each stud and it looked like the nuts were missing since they were so deeply inset. Not a problem of the nut, just a poor match for my wheels.

Also, since it did not solve the clicking noise issue I have, I went back to my stock nuts.

So today I took the car to Pasadena MotorCars. I can't praise these guys enough. the mechanic and I spent 2 full hours trying various things and then taking another test drive. Finally, we did what we probably should have done to begin with, and switched the rear left wheel and tire (the clicking one) with the right rear. Sure enough, the click moved with the wheel and was now coming from the right rear. He tried checking the torque on the wheel rim bolts (a few were looser than they should be, though not exactly "loose"), tried re-seating the tire on the rim with some lubricant and re-balanced. He put the wheels back where they belong and...

the click right back where it started.

Here's where the Pasadena Motorcars guys earned my loyalty. Since the issue was still there he refused payment, in spite of my objections. I bought an air filter just so it wasn't a total loss for them, and mine was dirty anyway.

Now, I had noticed that the offending tire had a pretty good size slice in the tread. Not cutting through the cord, but deep. I decided to replace the tire, which had no effect on the click.

So now, I've learned that the click is coming from the wheel itself. I've also learned that finding a replacement "Detroit" wheel is no easy task. Can I assume that if there was an issue with the two halves of the wheel mating that there would be an air leak? The old and new tires hold air just fine.

If this click is from the trim ring, can I just ignore it? Is there some safety issue? Is there any kind of test I can make to see if it is the trim ring?

Old 06-01-2013, 08:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,400 Likes on 2,872 Posts

If you're interested in selling your Adamesh solid lug nuts, please let me know....

Old 06-01-2013, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Jon89
If you're interested in selling your Adamesh solid lug nuts, please let me know....
I've already sent you a private message.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:19 PM

Once again, the click is magically gone. It could come back but I no longer really care since the car is just so pretty and fun to drive! Go ahead, trim ring, click away! You can't get me down!