XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

climate control a/c on..

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Default climate control a/c on..

Ok so I apologize in advance.. I did some searching and can't figure this out. I've never driven a car with climate control so this one puzzles me..

So it's getting cool in the mornings (40F/~4C) and I'm loving the heated seats (never had that either..) but normally I set my temperature manually or just on HI until it gets decent warm.. I only have a 10 minute city commute to work so by the time I get to work the car is almost at normal operating temp.

ANYWAY every time I select Auto and let's say the temp of 90 degrees.. it kicks the fans on high and the A/C light turns on and it seems to vent to the windshield only. My outside temp. sensor I believe is working correctly so .. is this normal operation? Is it kind of like a defrost mode/removing moisture and eventually turns off? It's not trying to do dual zone is it? For normal operation on cold days what does it normally do? Kick the fans on and just blow heat right?

In manual everything seems to be working fine.

Anyway thanks just puzzle's me what exactly it's doing.. when I select the A/C button with the Auto mode on it turns the Auto off.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,810 Likes on 1,115 Posts

As soon as you make a selection other than temperature, you are taking over, therfore not auto.

AC is on to "condition" the air for comfort unless you turn it off or outside temperature drops below the point the ac unit could freeze. This is the first car I've owned where I couldn't feel the power drain from the compressor. I figure that it cuts out when power is needed to improve ride quality.

One of the things, as per my reading, about these "square bore" engines (bore approximately equals stroke) is that they warm up fast. Mine gets warm enough to blow warm air in 1.3 miles at 30mph.

I've never set the temp to a very high number except when changing coolant, so I can't comment on what 90 degrees does to the vent selection. A couple of thoughts though. The seat temperature is tied to the selected temperature. Manual says seat will get no hotter than selected temperature. Otoh I don't think vent air temperature gets hotter faster with higher temp selection.

On auto my blower evacuates from dash, floor, and maybe a bit from defrost. Going from memory here, hasn't been cold since April around here.

Last edited by Johnken; 10-08-2016 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:42 PM

Thanks for the reply - :/ wonder what the deal is with mine..? Every time I select "Auto" the A/C turns on automatically.. It can be 40F outside and if I select "auto" - BOOM A/C goes right on.

(i'll keep doing research here) Also thanks didn't know the seat temp. was regulated by the temperature selected. :/ These cars have so much more character than a toyota I'll tell you that...

Old 10-08-2016, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 542 Likes on 354 Posts

You have to believe that the Auto system is cleverer than you! Simplest explanation is this from the handbook:

Recommended Operation

Automatic Climate Control

Automatic climate control provides efficient regulation of the vehicle environment without constant adjustments from the occupant.
Sensors inside the vehicle monitor temperature, humidity and direct sunlight. In response, the electronic control system automatically adjusts the heat input, blower speed, air intake and air flow distribution so as to maintain the selected temperature and reduce misting.
Automatic operation provides optimum comfort under most driving conditions.
It is recommended that automatic control (AUTO) is selected as the normal operating mode.

Use of Air Conditioning

Air conditioning is an integral part of the climate control system, providing cooled and dehumidified air for occupant comfort; the dry airflow is also effective in preventing misting of the windows.
While the air conditioner can be manually switched off, it is recommended that it is used in all climatic conditions throughout the year, preferably in AUTO mode.
Close all windows when the air conditioning is on to ensure satisfactory operation.

The following users liked this post:
Matthew Chidester (10-08-2016)
Old 10-08-2016, 04:06 PM

So it DOES use the A/C to dehumidify.. :/ wow.. yes this is quite advanced! I'll give it a good run next time I go for a drive. I've never used auto for more than a few minutes because I was confused what it was doing exactly but I'll give it a good 10 minute run just to see what the system does

Thanks Astromorg/Johnken!