XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Clogged Transmission Breather

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2024, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,442 Likes on 772 Posts
Default Clogged Transmission Breather

During the summer I took my car to a Jag indie to have the Rear main seal, the transmission front pump, and torque converter seals replaced. All was well for a while, and then it started leaking again.

I took it back to the shop for a warranty fix. They checked and evaluated how the car was leaking. They found that the fluid was not so much leaking as it was more like spraying out after a variable amount of time after the car has been turned off (anywhere from 50 minutes to a couple hours after), instead of leaking immediately as would be expected of a failed seal.

He said the problem is a clogged transmission breather, and less likely, a clogged filter. He also said he wouldn’t touch it further and referred me to a transmission shop.

I don’t want to pay another shop to drop the transmission on this car. I am fairly certain it IS the breather, since I broke that damn breather tube earlier this year while changing the octopus hose. I drove for a bit without a breather tube. Then I mended I fitted a diy plastic pipe to function as my vent. Not the best craftsmanship, I admit.

Is it possible for me to clean the transmission vent without dropping the transmission? Ideally from the top, after removing the throttle body?

What tools would I need to properly clean it to attempt to unclog it?

If I could solve that issue and refill, I’d finally be able to drive the car without fear of damaging the transmission due to low fluid.

Old 08-27-2024, 03:43 AM
Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

Can you access the pipe enough to suck on it and see if it is blocked? I'm not sure where it is in the engine bay off the top of my head.

Old 08-27-2024, 11:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by bladerunner919
Can you access the pipe enough to suck on it and see if it is blocked? I'm not sure where it is in the engine bay off the top of my head.

I can. It goes from the top of the bell housing a few inches posteriorly and ends below the bracket that houses the O2 sensor connectors. I was thinking I could attempt to remove the pipe and use compressed air with a hose to blow on it.

Old 08-27-2024, 03:53 PM

I'd try blowing/sucking 'manually' first, just to see if it is blocked - i.e., stick it in your mouth!

The following users liked this post:
giandanielxk8 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 737 Likes on 368 Posts

I think sucking it clean is better than.blowing something in.
wj

giandanielxk8 (08-27-2024)
Old 08-27-2024, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

I'd try blowing/sucking 'manually' first, just to see if it is blocked - i.e., stick it in your mouth!

Good idea. I just picked up the Jag from the mechanic. He didn’t charge me anything. He clarified what he said during our phone conversation.

​​​​Your car is spitting out ATF about 3 to 3.5 hours after it’s been running. It isn’t leaking at all while running nor is it leaking immediately after shutting it off.

This rules out the seals. I suspect the transmission filter may be clogged. However, there are no signs of particulate, no burnt smell, and the ATF is very clean. Regarding the breather vent, I think that is less likely. That usually causes the ATF to leak immediately. You changed your filter less than 15,000 miles ago. Quite frankly I am stumped. Your XKR is in excellent mechanical conditions unlike most other Jags that roll into this shop. It is also a beauty. This car is worth fixing, however, transmissions, beyond changing seals and ATF changes, are out of the scope of what my employees feel comfortable working on.

I suggest you take it to a dedicated transmission shop to have it diagnosed.
​​​
So, at least he was honest in saying he has no clue. Before I check the breather, what else could be causing this problem? I think the filter is unlikely to be the issue.

Old Yesterday, 06:28 AM

It is an odd one - I'd missed in the original post that it leaks after it's been running, but not while running. I'd still start with the breather, but I wonder whether there is a heat-soak after running that causes the fluid to heat up, increasing pressure, before it starts cooling?

cjd777 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,381 Likes on 2,861 Posts

That is indeed a very strange issue. Good luck and keep us posted....

Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

It is an odd one - I'd missed in the original post that it leaks after it's been running, but not while running. I'd still start with the breather, but I wonder whether there is a heat-soak after running that causes the fluid to heat up, increasing pressure, before it starts cooling?
And this heat soak would happen after driving because the air is not moving under it in 95ºF weather in my garage? Maybe slide a fan under the car after driving it to see if it alleviates the solution? If that were to confirm the heat soak, how would I even proceed to solving it?

Originally Posted by Jon89
That is indeed a very strange issue. Good luck and keep us posted....
I'll go to a transmission shop soon and tell them the symptoms (without taking the car just yet). I'll ask them if they have seen this before on any car? Maybe they have a clue. This makes me really wish I had the money available to swap in a manual transmission with a maxxecu. Manual transmissions are easier to deal with.

cjd777 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM

I think I'd start with establishing whether the breather is blocked, because if there is a heat-soak issue (and that is absolute speculation on my part) that would be a normal thing to happen to all cars, so can't be the direct cause.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM
Veteran Member

I think I'd start with establishing whether the breather is blocked, because if there is a heat-soak issue (and that is absolute speculation on my part) that would be a normal thing to happen to all cars, so can't be the direct cause.

Agreed, and is still my main suspect. I just think the behavior of it has been odd.