XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Code p1144 wont leave me alone on XK8

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Code p1144 wont leave me alone on XK8

Ive managed to fix all problems(except stereo volume)on My 99 XK8,but the code 1144 ,even if I try to ERASE it wont go away now,car runs and feels great.maybe there is a slight mixture problem somewhere,im not sure.But how do I make it go away without spending $2000?

Old 11-15-2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,067 Likes on 761 Posts

Originally Posted by calibrit
But how do I make it go away without spending $2000?
p1144 means : AACV (air assist close valve) circuit malfunction
Maybe it is a cabling issue, so better measure that, or the AACV unit is defect (the unit is attached to the throttlebody on the rear).

Shouldn't be a $2000 issue.

The following users liked this post:
calibrit (11-17-2011)
Old 11-17-2011, 04:15 PM

Thanks Avos ,have you, are anybody got an Idea of the Part Number for the AACV unit?then maybe I could order one and fix that to the rear of the throttlebody

Old 11-18-2011, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

Here is just an example on ebay:
*USED* Jaguar Throttle Body --- XK8 XJ8 --- C2A1444 | eBay

The TB itself is not usable as the seller (appreciate his honesty) tells, but chances are the aacv unit will be ok.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:33 AM
Received 2,190 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Hmm another member that needs advice but makes it difficult. No yr of xk8 and yet you list your 2006 jeep grand cherokee in your avatar. How about listing the jag in your sig just a thought

Old 11-18-2011, 10:53 AM

Thanks Avos,and Brutal actually if you can be bothered to look in my"garage" you will see Ive listed all my vehicles with the XK8 shown as a 99,and its been there for over a year,and why was I making it difficult?maybe you should list something in your Garage just a thought

Old 11-18-2011, 12:07 PM

Well then i guess i dont need to help you out then since info is so hard to come by and make me look for it. That time might have been better spent look at the info on that code instead of in your garage.... Back to work i go for pay

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

I'm with Brutal on this one. It's very helpful to have your model and year in the signature line.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:18 PM

Im sorry guys ,Avos was being very helpful to me and not wanting to turn this into an issue but Brutal,being the perfect name,was pretty rude for no real reason.I like to get help and will also give it if I can on this wonderful forum.Brutel Im sorry Im not as computer savvy as you obviously are,I can manage,but if you want to have a go at me about something so incidental,well son, you need to GET A LIFE.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:09 PM

youre right, sorry. You remind me I spend WAY too much time here helping people save time money and aggrivation. And since I do this at work many times it is at a cost to me since I could turn around and actually make money for myself instead of helping others. All I and others ask is that you have your car info(as most do) in your sig so it can be seen easily. Im not gonna go searching for what kind of car youre talking about when that time might be better spent actually helping you or someone else with a problem. Why make it harder to try and give advise when you dont know what year youre talking about. This is SOOOO talked about on here that it is forum guidelines and in many of the moderators own sigs. Its just common courtesy here when asking for help. When youre asking for free help the LEAST you can do is make it easy for those trying to help you and not wonder if youve put the info somewhere(your garage) that is out of the norm around here.
But you are very correct "Pops" (You must be older than 70 if you refer to me as son since Im gonna 50 in a few months.) I will get alife and it wont be around here anymore. I wouldnt have defined what I said as rude, but pointed, and slightly irratable, and without beating around the bush. I did after all put a smiley face in there. I raise 3 teens by myself 16,17,18 2 girls and a boy. I expect certain things from them and here too and Ide like to know what YEAR/MAKE AND MODEL. we're talking about when I try to help here too. I spend about 1to 2 hours daily here, breaks, lunches, and time like right now. This costs me I KNOW $400-600 or more maybe a month in lost income. Now I see it as something I enjoy and a break from the hectic pace of work and it helps alot of others, plus I learn too. you think its incidental and small to you. How would you feel if you ask the same thing over and over and over. ... would you get alittle short over something SOOOO incidental eventually too?
GET A LIFE in caps. okay I will.................self BANNED see ya, and you wonder why techs don't stay long.....PM's, same questions over and over, and people that get upset if you dont help them or call you rude for thinking yr make and model in a easy to see signature line is too much to ask. I just found it ironic that you listed your 2006 Cherokee where I could have used 99 XK8 Jaguar instead when asking for help....
oh and BTW, check for air leaks in the system, clean the valve and throttle body. Those are the useual culprits for that problem.Peace

Old 11-19-2011, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

@Calibrit,
First of all I have to say that I also agree that one should provide more info about their cars easily to spot, it will not only help the professionals (like Brutal for instance) on the forum to provide for comprehensive help, but also avoids providing wrong information if one just assumes, as there could be significant changes between model years. Contrary to Brutal I give usually far less detail in my responses, and as I am not a professional can provide much less experience on most issues like he can.
In this case before I went to search for throttle bodies on eBay to give you an example I did check your garage, but that is exceptional as normally I wouldn’t try to research and would leave the post.

I hope we can leave it here, and to go back to topic, Brutal may be right as a sticking valve could also be causing it, so worth a try before buying a 2nd hand unit.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:57 AM

@Brutal,Im genuinely sorry if I upset you, your advice on here is awesome,but please note on the top of this page I did mention I was talking about my (99) XK8.I hope we both can now let this go,as Im sure you understand Im not a bad person,and I know you are not also.Have a great weekend p.s.were both the same age and I have teens also.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

@Brutal, you know we all love you mate.

As one of the mentioned 'Mods', one of the biggest bug bears we have is when we don't see an immediate model reference in a thread. Be it in a signature, an Avatar, or better the title of a thread.

OK it might be mentioned in the body of the OP, but that then requires that the post is read before deciding what to do, and if a thread generates many replies and runs over several pages, then when going straight to the 'Last' post in a thread it can be that no one has any idea exactly what model/year is being discussed.

Currently we are undergoing a mammoth clean up of the General Tech section, and are aiming to repatriate the various 'Tech' posts into their model specific sections.

This task is made much more difficult because in the majority of instances the OP has not included the Model/Year in the title of their post.

I would request that anyone, anywhere on the forum include the Model and Year, and then the Question in the title of their thread when asking for help. As per the guidelines in my Sig links.

Example: 99 XK8 Code p1144 wont leave me alone

This then makes it possible to see at a glance just what is being discussed, and from experience around here will tend to generate faster and more specific responses.

I fully understand the frustrations when the Model and Year are not immediately apparent. A prime example is 'Car wont start' plonked in the Forum Help and Suggestions section with no indication as to what the thing is. The only way to identify things is for us then to check into the member's joining details, and see if they included something there, before we can move the thread to the correct section. All of which takes time. Despite correct posting instructions placed all over the forum, including the statement that such a post will most likely be summarily deleted.

And it may well happen that in the heat of the moment, the 'Oh crap not again' does creep in to a post. I know that sometimes I am at risk.

Apologies have been given.

And so we move on.

Hope that the 'Tech' advice from Brutal and Avos can go a long way to saving you what would be the price for my whole XJ40. They generally have half decent ideas about these things.

@calibrit, if you want a hand with a signature edit, just shoot me a PM.

Enough of a hijack, lets get back to the tech aspect of this thread.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 PM
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by calibrit
Ive managed to fix all problems(except stereo volume)on My 99 XK8,but the code 1144 ,even if I try to ERASE it wont go away now,car runs and feels great.maybe there is a slight mixture problem somewhere,im not sure.But how do I make it go away without spending $2000?
I don't see what the problem is, the year & model is in the first line.

We are here (at least I am) because we love the cars and want to be a part of a group that has the same passion.

If there is another motive for someone then maybe they should look more closely into why they joined this fellowship.

Being rude to a fellow jag owner who hasn't the computer skills or knowlege someone else may have is just poor fellowship and that is not helpful to anyone.

Speaking for myself, if someone is going to be nasty and attack me because I am not as informed as they are, experienced or that I do not perform in a manner that they dictate as payment for the information they have, then I would rather they just didn't say anthing at all.

Old 11-20-2011, 09:26 PM

@calibrit, No harm no foul... Just not having a great friday and alittle short.
@bigvette, Its there now, and wasnt when all this came about friday....

Gus (11-20-2011)
Old 11-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Received 123 Likes on 104 Posts

Brutal,

Man if I was trying to raise three teens of which two were girls I'd be walking around like a stark raving madman. I had two boys and then a girl---don't tell me girls and boys are the same!
God Bless you and hang in there!

Old 11-21-2011, 05:18 PM

Thanks Brutel,but just for the record I promise I didnt put The "99" in there at a later date,it was written like that when I first posted it,lets move on and thanks for all your help on this forum.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

This valve is operated by the PCM and the circuit between them and the valve operation cycle is in question. I suggest tracing the harness and cleaning both ends as well as test for broken wires. It works wide open cold, then goes to 50% open at about 140F, closes at 158F. I would also check the piping from the valve to the manifold for leaks. There is an unthrottled passage in the throttle body that supplies vacuum to it, verify that it is clear and the valve is internally clean. I did a little reaserch on this as my two 4.2 cars do not have this system. It looks like a full bore emissions control system that supplies an air charge around the injector nozzles to redirect the flow pattern to cut emissions.

calibrit (11-22-2011)