XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Combination of Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everybody - my name is Sat and I’m new to this forum and not sure whether this is the right place to post. Having similar issues on my 1997 Jaguar XK8. Main faults below:

It started with a flat battery - battery replaced, Since new battery when we start the car a significant amount of faults appear on instrument panel including- battery not charging, gearbox error, stability control error. Car starts fine and all gauges work but when Gearbox stays in park mode all lights in instrument panel go off. We have tried the following:

1. Replace the panel fuses - no change
2. Replace battery - no change
3. Removed instrument pack and sent it for testing and repair with ECU testing in Derby. Result was no fault found

Not sure where to go from here. A bit lost - any help or support anybody could provide is much appreciated!!!

Thanks Sat

Old 03-10-2020, 03:57 PM
Received 13,006 Likes on 6,497 Posts

Originally Posted by Sat Moore
Having similar issues on my 1997 Jaguar XK8. Main faults below:

It started with a flat battery - battery replaced, Since new battery when we start the car a significant amount of faults appear on instrument panel including- battery not charging, gearbox error, stability control error. Car starts fine and all gauges work but when Gearbox stays in park mode all lights in instrument panel go off. We have tried the following:

1. Replace the panel fuses - no change
2. Replace battery - no change
3. Removed instrument pack and sent it for testing and repair with ECU testing in Derby. Result was no fault found
Hi Sat,

Welcome to the Jaguar Forums! It's great to have you with us.

My first question is: have you had the car scanned for stored diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), and if so, what codes are stored? Please post all of them here exactly as they appear and we'll try to help.

Secondly, please visit the New Member Area - Intro a MUST and post an introduction so we can learn something about you and your Jaguar and give you a proper welcome.

Cheers,

Don

Old 03-10-2020, 04:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,418 Likes on 755 Posts
Default Simple question - does it drive?

Sat Moore,

Sorry to hear about your problems.

The Original Poster had a common A Drum failure on the gearbox. What are your symptoms? As said above post any DTCs you have.

Does the car drive? Is it in Limp home mode?

Old 03-10-2020, 05:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for the great welcome Don and David. I will definitely go into the new member area and update.

my friend is planning to complete the diagnostic activity and dtc codes on Saturday.

However, the car starts fine and all gauges work. If I start the car and immediately shift the car to drive it works. However, if I start the car and leave for 20 to 30 seconds I am unable to shift the lever from P to D. Also, if I drive the car all the dashboard lights are off and the vehicle power is significantly down. Once I brake, the dash lights appear and I seem to have full power for a couple of seconds.... apologies if this confusing

thanks

sat

Old 03-22-2020, 06:07 PM
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Just a quick update - transmission is back in and she moves under her own power again! Seems to be shifting fine from the first run. I do have an abs and stability control failure still - but I know i need to look at the wheel sensor wiring, etc. I ended up cutting the O2 sensor wiring on the lower drivers side sensor - have a code due to that but part on the way.

This shelter in place is helping with my project list - that's the upside. I'll re-rack the jag once I get brakes on the Mini. Will be ordering a set of wheels and tires this week for the Jag as well. Next on the list are the AC compressor, seat leather, windshield and mirror, and convertible cover. It looks like our 24 hours of Lemons race for the Nash Metropolitan may be put on hold so I'll wrap the Jag before the rest of the projects.

More soon! Can't wait to drive this Xk8 again!

The following users liked this post:
Don B (03-22-2020)