Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Completely stumped, last chance before a trip to dealer

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 12:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,380 Likes on 1,544 Posts

Hi Robert,
Stick with it:- there will be a solution.

I agree with xalty and yourself:- the car is in the full alarm state. It is logical that the BPM won't fire the starter relay while it is busy firing the horns because it thinks that the car is being stolen.

This is a difficult area to diagnose as there is lots of inter-module communication happening and, for obvious reasons, very little documentation.

At the moment, I can't rationalise why you are unable to convince the car it's not being stolen. Either of ignition-on or unlocking with the remote fob should cancel the alarm.

A simple code reader probably won't help (although it's still a very useful tool to have in your toolbox).

My hunch is (and it is just that) an SLM issue. Although you've replaced it with no obvious improvement, there's always the risk of introducing additional faults with a substitution unless it's a definitely-known-good part. It does match the VCATS label?

I'm not sure a dealership would be able to help much - even if you can find one willing to take the job on. These days, they don't have the luxury of being able to parts-swop until they reach a diagnosis, although there may be functionality in the proprietary Jaguar diagnostic software that could help.

For now, I would stick with the original module and do the hard reset again during the reinstall. In the meantime, I'll do some further digging to look for a more helpful response.

You *may* be able to run the car with the SLM in place by bypassing the starter relay, although I'm not sure what else the car might shut down while in the alarm state.

Nil desperandum

Last edited by michaelh; 12-18-2021 at 07:21 PM. Reason: clarify 'Jaguar software'
Old 12-18-2021, 12:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by michaelh
Hi Robert,
Stick with it:- there will be a solution.

I agree with xalty and yourself:- the car is in the full alarm state. It is logical that the BPM won't fire the starter relay while it is busy firing the horns because it thinks that the car is being stolen.

This is a difficult area to diagnose as there is lots of inter-module communication happening and, for obvious reasons, very little documentation.

At the moment, I can't rationalise why you are unable to convince the car it's not being stolen. Either of ignition-on or unlocking with the remote fob should cancel the alarm.

A simple code reader probably won't help (although it's still a very useful tool to have in your toolbox).

My hunch is (and it is just that) an SLM issue. Although you've replaced it with no obvious improvement, there's always the risk of introducing additional faults with a substitution unless it's a definitely-known-good part. It does match the VCATS label?

I'm not sure a dealership would be able to help much - even if you can find one willing to take the job on. These days, they don't have the luxury of being able to parts-swop until they reach a diagnosis, although there may be functionality in the proprietary Jaguar software that could help.

For now, I would stick with the original module and do the hard reset again during the reinstall. In the meantime, I'll do some further digging to look for a more helpful response.

You *may* be able to run the car with the SLM in place by bypassing the starter relay, although I'm not sure what else the car might shut down while in the alarm state.

Nil desperandum

I did actually check with a code reader I just never updated you guys (my bad) no error codes other than the self check not finishing

The replacement does match the vcats (just to be sure though the vcats is the three digits on the sticker in the boot correct?)

I actually had the battery all disconnected last night and will try reinstalling the original module and see what happens.

I do appreciate all your help everyone

Old 12-18-2021, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Robert Shalack
The replacement does match the vcats (just to be sure though the vcats is the three digits on the sticker in the boot correct?)
It should match the entry 'SLM'. JEPC shows LJA2600AF as applicable to the '97 cars, although do go by what is actually recorded on VCATS. The /xxx is the software revision, which unhelpfully doesn't appear to be printed on this module's label.

Old 12-18-2021, 09:56 PM

It should match the entry 'SLM'. JEPC shows LJA2600AF as applicable to the '97 cars, although do go by what is actually recorded on VCATS. The /xxx is the software revision, which unhelpfully doesn't appear to be printed on this module's label.
So the replacement SLM matches the VCATS (and hopefully the software revision if eBay seller is to be believed)
Regardless did put the old SLM back and let it hard reset, and while everything was powered down also replaced any/all fuses related to BPM/SLM (thinking maybe something was blown and I just didn't notice.
Good news, alarm doesn't seem to want to go off anymore when battery was reconnected
Bad news- still wont let me start, don't get anything when key is turned
Put it on a battery charger overnight (battery was reading somewhat low) and will see what happens in morning now

Old 12-19-2021, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Shalack
So the replacement SLM matches the VCATS (and hopefully the software revision if eBay seller is to be believed)
Regardless did put the old SLM back and let it hard reset, and while everything was powered down also replaced any/all fuses related to BPM/SLM (thinking maybe something was blown and I just didn't notice.
Good news, alarm doesn't seem to want to go off anymore when battery was reconnected
Bad news- still wont let me start, don't get anything when key is turned
Put it on a battery charger overnight (battery was reading somewhat low) and will see what happens in morning now
Fingers crossed all but she seems to be good!
She didn't start in the morning but I realized that my fobs had never worked originally but maybe it was just a weak signal so I put fresh batteries in both remotes, left the trunk open and hit the unlock key link crazy and the door is unlocked and the alarm shut off! Dumbest thing in the world and am mad I didn't try it sooner. Now to figure out what's up with the remotes.
Truly appreciate all the advice and help in this thread, this forum truly is the best

The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Shalack:
michaelh (12-19-2021), RJ237 (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 04:28 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like great progress
I guess the next step is to try the fob programming process - unless I misunderstand you and it was the fob that shut the alarm off?

The radio receiver for the fobs is the little separate module inside the SLM. Whereabouts did you find the internal corrosion that you noted?

Last edited by michaelh; 12-19-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 04:39 PM

Sounds like great progress
I guess the next step is to try the fob programming process - unless I misunderstand you and it was the fob that shut the alarm off?

The radio receiver for the fobs is the little separate module inside the SLM. Whereabouts did you find the internal corrosion that you noted?
The fobs are what ended up shutting off the alarm, fresh batteries in them was the trick
They have never really works right, got lucky I guess but was holding them right next to where I think the antenna is? (Rear window of convertable)

Corrosion was by the antenna plug, if it's a separate module could I salvage from other SLM? Might also try just buying a different fob and programming

Old 12-19-2021, 05:56 PM
Veteran Member

I'm not sure exactly where the fob antenna is either on the convertible, other than,as you say, by the rear window on the RHS. As far as I know, it's just a piece of coax with some of the outer sheathing removed at the end to form a crude antenna?

If there's been some water around the external connection to the SLM, it's possible that it could have wicked up inside the coax lead, which would tend to make the receiver deaf. There have been quite a few threads on poor fob range, but only a couple reporting a definite fix:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post2309957
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post2022363

The fobs for our early cars are quite scarce, hence even S/H they are fetching silly money:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12350318593...gAAOSwGUpb9JnB

...although there are cheaper ones, some of which look like in the dustbin should be their rightful place.

Curious:- does key in ignition on now also cancel the alarm?

Last edited by michaelh; 12-19-2021 at 05:59 PM.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:37 PM

I'm not sure exactly where the fob antenna is either on the convertible, other than,as you say, by the rear window on the RHS. As far as I know, it's just a piece of coax with some of the outer sheathing removed at the end to form a crude antenna?

If there's been some water around the external connection to the SLM, it's possible that it could have wicked up inside the coax lead, which would tend to make the receiver deaf. There have been quite a few threads on poor fob range, but only a couple reporting a definite fix:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post2309957
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...4/#post2022363

The fobs for our early cars are quite scarce, hence even S/H they are fetching silly money:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12350318593...gAAOSwGUpb9JnB

...although there are cheaper ones, some of which look like in the dustbin should be their rightful place.

Curious:- does key in ignition on now also cancel the alarm?
not sure on the key in ignition yet, a little afraid to try if the fobs don't work consistently but it seems to be all back to how it used to work (As in, key locks and unlocks car, fobs don't seem to work at all)