XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Confused

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Confused

I was surfing looking for parts close to my area for a soon to be coming XK8 Convertible. I found a fairly good looking one (as good or better than I'm getting) but it has this under the photo

"Jaguar Xj8 for sale Has a theft deterrent problem that cannot be resolved...has no keys would be great for parts or project."

I am green to working on Jags got tired of paying mechanics big money and waiting for a month to get my car back. I'm trying to learn baptism by fire you might say. Could someone explain why this car could not be fixed. I will like to have it for parts but seems a shame to ruin a good vehicle.

THANKS

Old 03-17-2017, 03:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,060 Posts

TL;DR: Seems doable, but depends on the year for the specifics

The short version is that you would have to evaluate the damage already done, if any, in order to try and hack the car as it is. Wiring harness damage, control modules hacked or missing, etc. Obviously (conveniently?), a missing key prevents you from starting the engine or evaluate the transmission, etc., so it could all be a ploy. Early cars had MAJOR flaws that could easily destroy an engine (secondary tensioner failure) or a transmission (A drum failure). Buyer beware sort of thing, but for the right price and willingness to do the legwork...

To address the problem, the easiest is to either hire a competent locksmith that has compatible software tools, or get your own copy of the dealer-type software. This is a diagnostics port procedure that involves re-pairing the right kind of transponder key to the car's main computer. There are at least 2 different transponder types, incompatible with one another, but apparently available online. Obviously, the car's key would have to be cut. A tibbe code might be obtained from the dealer, or reverse-engineered from the trunk lock's mechanism. You can read about it, they are the Ford tibbe keys.

Key fobs are available cheap on eBay for the later years, and can be added to the car without any special tools. I am unsure about the early years.

PS: for this situation, try and get a CARFAX, and double check the title for any red flag.

Last edited by fmertz; 03-17-2017 at 03:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
David Stevens (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 03:34 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for explaining. I'm used to rebuilding about anything American Ford Chevy etc. My personal choices are Jaguars but I don't have a background in them, just bitten by the bug. I needed the hood, fender, grill and lights so it's probably worth the 1800 price tag and sell off the rest. I don't have the knowledge to try to fix it.
Thanks for your input.

Old 03-17-2017, 05:17 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I think I found the ad you refer to (white XK8 listed as a XJ8).

That car looks like its been stripped inside-- are all the bits still with the car? I see some exterior cosmetic issues, top looks ok. Front looks to ride a bit low.

As a parts car, probably ok. As a project, with no keys and unknown issues its a landmine.