XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Considering a 1999 XK8 Convertible-- Seeking input.

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 10:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering a 1999 XK8 Convertible-- Seeking input.

I have been looking at XK8's for a while, and have previously posted here about a couple of possibilities... The responses have been helpful and sobering---I passed on a couple of cars based on help from this forum... This latest car looks very promising, as its a 1999 with only 54,000 miles and there are service records for servicing at dealer up through 40,000...and two oil change records since that time, over the past 14000 miles. The car has also always been garaged so paint is fantastic for a 15 year old car. It appears that the top has seldom been lowered so no creases, cracks or signs of top wear.

However, the main issue is the convertible top and windows.. Seller says rear windows were stuck in lowered position and the convertible top operated slowly last time he tried.. Says he is now afraid to lower top. I know that the convt top switch interacts with lowering of windows, so I understand there is a connection.. For purposes of budgeting, I have to assume worst case on this and allow for updating of top switch, lines and hydraulics.. I am curious what a reasonable budget is for this issue? I am fairly handy, but not sure I have time to do this right now--so I want to figure cost to get this done by cost effective shop..

The only other issue I need to allow for is the timing chain tensioners.. The seller has no idea whether they were ever changed, but with only 54,000 it seems likely that they are still original. This has to be in my plans for the next year or so...

I assume that a car with fairly decent repair records, great paint and 54,000 original miles is a good bet---yet I do not want to overpay for a car which needs a major investment in top repairs and downstream chain tensioners.. I just want to get some idea of what I might be facing...

I appreciate any input from the knowledgeable folks on this forum

Old 08-18-2014, 11:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,111 Likes on 932 Posts

Sounds like a good find at 54k miles.

The tensioners and top are certainly at the top of the list of concerns. The top problem can be anything from low on fluid in the pump reservoir to needing hoses and rams rebuilt so an estimate is a little difficult. Raising the windows is a simple matter of jumping a relay so that can be fixed, at least temporarily in a minute at no cost. Replacing hoses say $1000 - $1200. Rebuilding rams, $600.

I would suggest that the tensioner expense should not be put off at all, like the week you get the car. The engine could die the next time it is cranked. Miles do not matter in this situation. Eight hundred dollars.

Make sure everything else works such as all the functions listed in the owner's manual.

Good luck!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,350 Likes on 746 Posts
Default Advise

Don, run you hand under the car just behind the doors and see if you get any oily firm on your hands. This would indicate that you have leaking top rams, a hydraulic cylinder that pushes the top up and down. Any discoloration up near the lights at the center of the windshield, hose latch leak.

Wayne

Old 08-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Also consider the transmission will fail due to defect around 120k or so. It is a good car all in all and I love my '99. Check the height of the front end, might be too low and you can plan on replacing the purge control value on the emission control system. The timing chain is a must to do and look at the thermostat housing and see if it has the aftermarket metal casing, not the plastic.
Good buy I think!!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:44 PM
Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

check the color of the fluid for the top in the trunk, if its green it should be the newer fluid if it isnt change it to the newer fluid. the old fluid tended to thicken over time preventing the rams from triggering the micro switchs. same in the latch area.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by larueb
Also consider the transmission will fail due to defect around 120k or so. It is a good car all in all and I love my '99. Check the height of the front end, might be too low and you can plan on replacing the purge control value on the emission control system. The timing chain is a must to do and look at the thermostat housing and see if it has the aftermarket metal casing, not the plastic.
Good buy I think!!
Thanks! Just a few follow ups on your notes:

Please explain the front end height issues? What are the typical measurements and criteria for front end height??

The thermostat was replaced under warranty--Are you suggesting it should be replaced again with an aftermarket unit?

Were you suggesting that transmission will fail at 120k as a general guideline? I am buying this as a fair weather cruiser and it only has 54k.. To be honest, I don't think I will ever get to 120k...

Old 08-18-2014, 07:19 PM
Received 71 Likes on 44 Posts

15-3/4" wheel center to fender arches are SPEC, you probably won't be that .... see if you can dig a fingernail into the gunk at the top of the shock tower ....

Old 08-18-2014, 07:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 558 Posts

+1 the previous comments. The prices for repairs are accurate as well if you use an independent shop. Double them for a dealer.

The factory front height should be 15.74" for an XK8, measured from center of wheel hub to bottom of the wheel arch at 12 o'clock position.

Consider anything above 15" acceptable. If low, check the top shock mounts from inside the engine bay for deterioration. Could also be tired coil springs. Both of these fixes are medium effort DIY jobs.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:02 PM

I was just looking at the records on this car.. They actually had the full 30,000 Jaguar recommended dealer service done on this car at about 11,500 total miles--which was three years after purchase by original owner... Talk about low mileage!? .... Chances seem good that this car was babied, but I am fully aware that lack of driving can also have a converse impact on these cars.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Just as a side example, I bought a 02 XKR w 44K and service records. Within the past year or so I've replaced the upper shock mounts and shock bushings, sway arm bushings, torsion bar bushings. Thermostat (I replace all fluids in any new car to me) still need to do tranny but mine isn't a daily driver. Fixed headrest up/down. replaced valve cover gaskets, plug seals as I found oil in two wells when changing plugs. I did pull covers to verify tensioners but mine were already replaced but it's a 02. I'm pretty sure my purge control valve needs replaced and am ordering one this week.

Everyone here will provide you examples, the issue isn't miles the car was driven but age, and that you know some wrenching will be required as things pop up.
Good luck it's alot of fun and excitement buying not to mention each time you sit in the driverseat and start her up..

The following users liked this post:
donfenn (08-19-2014)