XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 403 Posts
Default Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .

Took the car in to the local dealer today (Galpin) for an oil change. I love browsing around their high-end showroom with Jaguars, Aston-Martins, and Lotus drooling over all of the cars I cannot afford.

But here is the conundrum assuming that I just won a chance to spend $100K at Galpin. They had a number of new F-types in the $100K range, a white XKR-S for $132K, and a 2009 Aston Martin DB9 Volante for about $105K (about half of retail when new).

So I was busy wondering exactly what I would get if I had my choice. What do you guys think?

Doug

Old 07-05-2013, 02:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 690 Likes on 560 Posts

The F-Types are tempting, but if you picked up a new XJ you would have a beautiful sedan and ~$25k left over to spend on toys for your XK. Cover both the practical (4 seats and a trunk) and the fun.

Old 07-05-2013, 03:41 PM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Off the showroom floor? That XKR-S. I don't know about Mike here but I'm starting to see an Aston a day in Dallas. The F-Type is a bit too small and trendy, a-la a Ferrari California, for my tastes. The XK coupes, especially a hotted-up version, almost never seen around these parts. Well, that's how I approach any car first at least...

Old 07-05-2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member

This "what-if" was meant as a total impractical daydream. The scenario should have been phrased something more like "I just won a Galpin lottery by walking in the door and they let me have my choice of one of the cars previously described".

It would really be a tough decision. The white XKR-S looked outstanding but the used DB9 also had a particular allure and, even in southern California, are somewhat rare--at least more so than XK/XKR.

The F-types actually look more substantial in person than I expected. From the front the proportions look about the same as the XK but the rear, of course, is shorter. The fit and finish of the F inside and out is quite impressive.

Doug

Old 07-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Well, if you are asking which is the best looking, I'd have to say the Aston.

The question would be whether or not the Aston's back seats can actually be used by humans if you ever wanted to be able to put more than two people in your new car.

Other questions would be how they each feel when you drive them and few other things that would relate to your specific needs and desires.

If it were me, I'd be concerned about maintenance costs, and since two of them are brand new vehicles under manufacturer's warranty I'd have to know what sort of warranty the used Aston came with.

All things being equal, I think I'd have to go with the Aston.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
I don't know about Mike here but I'm starting to see an Aston a day in Dallas.
They do seem more common, and despite my lust for one, remain way overpriced.

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
This "what-if" was meant as a total impractical daydream. The scenario should have been phrased something more like "I just won a Galpin lottery by walking in the door and they let me have my choice of one of the cars previously described". Doug
Given this scenario, I'd go for the F-Type. $100k gets you the V8, although the reviews so far have favored the overall balance of the 6-cylinder F-type S. Guess I'd need a long test drive of both before I made my choice.

Any way you slice it among the 3 choices, it would be a sweet dilemma to find yourself in.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member

These kind of head games are fun, at least to me. When I had my 95 Corvette I would frequently play these games with myself as the new generations came out. I would wonder would I rather have the newest latest and greatest or one of the more timeless vintage models.

I caused a bit of a ruckus recently on the Corvette Forum when there was all sorts of hubbub and excitement with the impending release of the C7. I threw out a similar scenario about winning a lottery where you could have either a new C7 or a pristine 1967 vintage.

So what I should have posed here was would you rather have a new F-type or a vintage pristine E-type. Just for the heck of it suppose maintenance was not an issue. Rather the pure ownership experience.

To my mind I think I would opt for the vintage Corvette versus the new one and similarly the vintage E-type. These are already timeless and will remain so while the new C7 or F-type will likely be ho-hum in a couple of years.

One added post-script to my visit to Galpin is how much more I appreciate and enjoy my own car. It was clean when I brought it in but seemed even shinier when I picked it up (they do a complimentary wash). It happened to be parked next to a recent vintage XK in a color similar to mine and I have to say I admired my car more. Then when I came home and parked outside for a bit and then went back out to the car, it looked like more of a classic than any of the other cars I had seen at Galpin earlier. Really the only thing snazzier on any of the other cars was the interior. The XKR-S and F-type looked really extremely sporty compared with mine and the Aston's interior was absolutely gorgeous. But exterior look is another story--my XKR really stands the test of time well.

Doug

The following users liked this post:
DaveC (07-05-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Heh.. I'd take the DB9 and then sell it on in a year or two before it completely ruined my life

But yeah--not if it meant trading in my XK8. I'd miss it too much.

Attached Images  
Old 07-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member

+1 on the E-type, although my XK8 is a lot more comfortable to use daily than my '69 was.

Still miss that car and now can't afford another.

Old 07-05-2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,112 Likes on 933 Posts

The E type is a forever classic but have you ever sat in one for an all day drive? It is really an unpleasant long term driving experience compared to current cars.

I drive, not collect.

Give me the the new FX!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,580 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Hey Doug,
I hate to sound like a heretic but of all of the Astons, I think the Vantage is the most attractive and proportioned even if it's the least expensive by about half. The big Astons just don't look right to me. The ugliest (and most expensive) of all of the Astons is the Zagato (I was at Galpin's unveiling of the ugly POS, last year). I'd choose a regular 2013 XKR coupe that has been given the upgraded horsepower and handling package of the XKR-S, I simply don't like the goofy spoilers etc. of the S. Or, I'd wait for the F-type coupe with 4 wheel drive so that the horsepower could be put to better use. But, having said all that, the first series XK/XKRs are still more classic looking than just about anything out there. Yesterday, I was reading some early reviews from 1998-2002, and the reviewers were gushing about these cars. Take the $80 grand, save $50K of it and put the twin screw on yours. (In the fantasy world)
Ted

Old 07-05-2013, 10:17 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Dreaming

For $100K I would buy a nice 06 XKR and do it up like enderle (love your car Rob) and take the $60K balance and ship it where ever I wanted to go. South of France (visit my son and daughter in law in Grenoble) and drive to Milan. Germany on the Autobahn and see if it is really speed limited!

The following users liked this post:
enderle (07-06-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 PM
Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts

Doug,

your comments are spot on. I was at Cole European in Walnut Creek, CA this week with my XK8 and parked it next to a new XK. I actually think my car looked better from the front. Much lower and sleeker. We really do have nice looking cars.

Dave

Old 07-06-2013, 03:51 AM
Received 135 Likes on 108 Posts

XKR-S, but not that one. You can find them for under $100k slightly used if you look around.

I lived out this situation a couple months ago. The Aston is tempting but as mentioned, no warranty and considerably slower and older. Just couldn't justify the purchase against a less expensive, newer, faster, and more rare XKR-S. Plus the Jag still had the warranty and extra years of free maintenance.

Old 07-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

DB9 is tempting - very tempting on style and brand alone.
F-type is not my cup of tea, at least not yet. Maybe over the years the design will grow on me.
XKR-S would be my choice under the given circumstances, where I don't have to spend my $$$. While I'm not fond of the boy racer body kit, I am a big fan of the V-8 on steroids.

What I have noticed over the years is that Astons in general look superb during the current model production ( DB-5 is an exception - as it continuous to get better looking with the years). When a new model is produced, the previous model starts looking dated and I start questioning myself as to why I liked the design in the first place. Take the AM Virage of the 80's or the DB7 or the last generation Vanquish - if they were not called Aston Martins and you looked at them today, in comparison to other cars on the road, they would not stir any emotion ( at least they don't for me).
Jaguar, on the other hand, gets better with time. When the new model comes out, it looks modern and sleek, but with passing years, as car designs evolve to look more modern in general, Jags take classic car appearance - without looking too dated ( at least not the ones that were produced in the last 20 years) and the more you see them on the road, the more they appeal to your senses. Having said that, I can see myself liking the F-type in 5+ years more than I'm liking it now. I can see liking the XKR-S more once it is replaced by a newer model and I sure as hell like the 2014 AM Vanquish and DB-9.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member

Hey Dave--Walnut Creek is one of my favorite areas in the state and is one of the places my wife would like to be when we "retire" so that we can be closer to my son, daughter-in-law, and one-year-old grandson.

I have to admit I know Aston Martin only in a general sense. I don't know all the model names and era's and often times I mistake a several year old one for a new one. I also have to admit that I have been fooled lately when seeing a Ford Fusion coming at me from a distance and mistaking it for an Aston. I am not sure how they got away with ripping off the front end to the extent they did.

The 2009 DB9 in Galpin's showroom looked virtually brand new and came with at least a year of warranty.

I think I was sort of partial towards that with the XKR-S being a close second.

Although all of these cars really approach the insanity level of way over-the-top machismo. There are few enough places where you can put 300hp to use let alone 500hp. There is some guy in the office building where I work that is on his 3rd AM in about 5 years. I don't know why this guy doesn't just cut to the chase and have some enhancement surgery done to address his "shortcomings".

Doug

Old 07-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default F-Type

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
Took the car in to the local dealer today (Galpin) for an oil change. I love browsing around their high-end showroom with Jaguars, Aston-Martins, and Lotus drooling over all of the cars I cannot afford.

But here is the conundrum assuming that I just won a chance to spend $100K at Galpin. They had a number of new F-types in the $100K range, a white XKR-S for $132K, and a 2009 Aston Martin DB9 Volante for about $105K (about half of retail when new).

So I was busy wondering exactly what I would get if I had my choice. What do you guys think?

Doug
I can tell you what I actually did which was buy an F-Type. I sat at British Motors one afternoon and watched two guys test drive the F-Type V8 and come back really upset. I don't mean unhappy, I mean they looked pissed. Apparently one had bought a new Vantage and the other guy a new XK-RS. They thought the F-Type was better and they were pissed. Resale on both of those cars really sucks (they were talking trade ins). (If you want to buy a Vantage or XK-RS go to a car auction, apparently both cars drop about $40K in the first year and if you try to trade one in you take an even bigger bath).

Now I put my car in Club Sportiva so I can drive a 2009 Vantage Roadster or even a new McLaren if I want instead of my car. So far though my F-Type puts the biggest smile on my face, though I am taking the Vantage out later this month (it kind of beats you up). One car in the stable I was surprised I'd like and that is the GT 500 mustang, way too much power and too little rubber, but damned if it also doesn't put a big grin on my face too. Haven't driven the Cobra yet, waiting for cooler days.

Though, at the end of the day, I still love my old heavily modified 2004 XKR. Life is good with a hot V8 and a heavy foot. Here is a couple shots of both cars topless.

Attached Thumbnails Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130703_010.jpg   Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130703_014.jpg  
Old 07-06-2013, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member

The the XK8/XKR is still one of the standards, at least in styling. I was at the ATM today and a young guy pulls up and gives me a "sweet car dude". I can't recall the last time I was referred to as a dude.

Doug

Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Received 154 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks for those shots, Rob! I haven't seen a side-by-side comparo before. The F-Type is bigger than I thought! I figured it was the same size or smaller... maybe in the wheelbase, but the front (I like) and back (Acura what) dimensions took me by surprise. Hrmmmm...

Old 07-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Received 681 Likes on 490 Posts
Default Not a Small Car

Originally Posted by Sentinelist
Thanks for those shots, Rob! I haven't seen a side-by-side comparo before. The F-Type is bigger than I thought! I figured it was the same size or smaller... maybe in the wheelbase, but the front (I like) and back (Acura what) dimensions took me by surprise. Hrmmmm...
It is shorter but wider than an XK. My XK is lowered but from almost any angle the XK actually looks like the smaller car. No where near as quick or as stable at speed even with the extensive mods and the seats on the F are wonderful. I'm still trying to figure a way to get better seats into my XK.

Here are some more side by side shots (top up this time).

Attached Thumbnails Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130630_001.jpg   Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130630_002.jpg   Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130630_003.jpg   Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130630_004.jpg   Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .-wp_20130630_005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Conundrum--If I were a rich man. . .