Neither, but I'd pick a coupe
1.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Convertible or Coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 512 Likes on 367 Posts

Convertibles also tend to hold their value better when it comes to resale - if you are going to buy something to use on sunny weekends only, you may as well get one where the roof comes off as well.

The following users liked this post:
dfbender (09-02-2022)
Old 05-04-2011, 04:14 PM
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Question: if you sold your XK8/R to buy another, would you buy a convertible or coupe?

Old 05-04-2011, 11:16 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by govatos
Question: if you sold your XK8/R to buy another, would you buy a convertible or coupe?
TOTALLY convertible, dude. I was looking for a convertible before I homed in on the XK8. I was interested in some of the newer hartop convertibles, just for the noise factor, but they all seem to look like the top is too small for the car. When I heard that the XK8 was really very quiet for a ragtop, I succumbed to the lust induced by its lines. Very, very glad I did!!!

The following users liked this post:
dfbender (09-02-2022)
Old 05-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

97xk8 convertible BRG. But looking for a nice xkr, black on black coupe, to have the couple.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Convertible definitely.

p { margin-bottom: 0.08in; } Because this is not my daily driver I'll be taking it out on those “Sunny Sundays” so for sunshine days must definitely a convertible.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My XKR is a covertible but my vote would have to go for the coupe. Awesome lines.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Received 169 Likes on 84 Posts

I was hoping to get a coupe, but my wife was right, as usual... convertible is more practical, sine XKR is by no means an everyday car, so one might as well get the fun of convertible to go with it.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:32 AM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by govatos
I'd get another coupé I would love a late 4.2, but I'd still want the styling of my old -98. Not a big fan of the added chrome trim and such.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Concurrance on the Chrome

Originally Posted by BeO
I'd get another coupé I would love a late 4.2, but I'd still want the styling of my old -98. Not a big fan of the added chrome trim and such.
And perhaps the marketplace reflects that .. since Ford sold Jaguar to the Indians, Jag sales have dropped down to 51,000 units in 2010. Dropping the "X" models is costing'em sales. I think the XK8/R models will become the latest iteration of the famous XKE from the 60's.

Jag wants to quadruple sales to 200,000 units, to compete with the BMW and Mercedes evolving markets, and is considering building another plant in the UK. Ohh ... and they are considering offering a "Coupe" ... LOL ... at 6 foot, my '03 XK8 already is a coupe ... hehehe.

I might also mention, the Jaguar has risen to 3rd place, in the JD Powers 3-year survey ... that would be the 2008 model year, for product reliability .. Lincoln is #1. Had my 2003 for about a year now .. still got that pesky intermittent brake-light/cruise control gremlin, but otherwise, just a Dream to drive .. doesen't beat me up like my F-350 :-)

I was also looking for a hardtop .. but they made about twice as many convertibles as hardtops .. 2,280 for 2003 XK8 ragtops. If I was to buy again, I would choose a convertible .. as I'll never feel the need to test the 155mph chip limit, which is probably unobtainable in the convertible. Hardly ever take it much over half-speed.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:20 AM

Okay here's the verdict. Judging from all the answers, the convy wins hands down 2to1. But has anyone noticed that the ones who chose the convy generally enjoys "The Feel of Driving it"..... while the ones who chose the coupe, enjoys viewing "The Aesthetical Proportions of The Exterior."

it's silly we don't see the beauty of the coupe while driving it. Only when we get off after its parked.

The thing is, the convy guys (or gals) wins, not in numbers, but in the value of having it.

I still am a huge fan of the design of the Jag XKR Coupe just by looking at those gorgeous lines (in motion or at standstill in any angle) takes me back like a kid staring at my first crush.. literally.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:50 AM
BeO
Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mrmagnum
Okay here's the verdict. Judging from all the answers, the convy wins hands down 2to1. But has anyone noticed that the ones who chose the convy generally enjoys "The Feel of Driving it"..... while the ones who chose the coupe, enjoys viewing "The Aesthetical Proportions of The Exterior."

it's silly we don't see the beauty of the coupe while driving it. Only when we get off after its parked.

The thing is, the convy guys (or gals) wins, not in numbers, but in the value of having it.

I still am a huge fan of the design of the Jag XKR Coupe just by looking at those gorgeous lines (in motion or at standstill in any angle) takes me back like a kid staring at my first crush.. literally.
Well coupé owners still enjoy the feel of driving it, but myself I'm not too fond of the turbulence when driving with the top down. I simply enjoy the calm surrounding in a coupé more, I can focus more on the driving instead of being annoyed with the wind

But if I lived in a warm sunny climate and mostly did slow driving in town or such, yes I'd probably have a convertible as a second car. But here in Sweden the weather can be very unpredictable and perfect sunny days are limited to a few months in the summer.

And even on a sunny day I'd take the coupé for inspired driving. Having a solid roof does wonders to the handling of the car

So perhaps another conclusion would be that convertible owners enjoy riding in the car while coupé owners enjoy driving the car

Old 12-25-2011, 09:29 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The coupe looks so much better than a convertible with it's roof up. Much sleeker looking profile, especially from the side and rear.

If I ever win the lottery, I'd find someone to convert it (no pun intended) into a hardtop convertible WITH sun/moon roof. Now that would be awesome !

Old 12-25-2011, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,068 Likes on 761 Posts

Convertible no question. Even with the hood up and I really appreciate the
Soft top type, it gives some classiness compared to a hardtop (and a lot of usable boot space too).

Old 12-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

First off I didnt read the whole thread first so I voted for the coupe but I actually own a convertible. Guess I have to buy a coupe now, LOL.

BeO, I like you love the XKE coupes. My first Jaguar was a 74 XKE roadster. Mind you I loved that car and my love affair with full size Jaguars was confirmed but I would take an XKE coupe in a heartbeat.

I also had wanted a coupe when looking for a more current one but ended up with a XKR convertible. Whats funny is I have always had a convertible as a primary or secondary car except for a couple years when I was living in OR. I actually didnt want an XK convertible but ended up with one anyway.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

For me it was always the coupe, I love the classic lines and think it one of the most beautiful cars I ever seen, let alone owned. The convertible looks great with the top down but I don't car for it as much with the top up. That said, I have toyed with the idea of picking up a convertible just for nice days.

Mark

Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 139 Likes on 95 Posts

I like them both but LOVE my 08 XKR VERT Liquid silver and Charcoal / mag

Old 12-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 278 Likes on 171 Posts

Jaguar sporty cars have got to be convertibles. No question about it.

EZDriver

Old 12-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I still lived down in Florida I'd probably find my convertible a bit useless because of the heat but living here in the Carolinas the weather is perfect for driving with the top down must of the year.

Old 12-26-2011, 02:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

If you want a sports car, then you need the convertible! When someone on this great board finds a way to drop a 6 speed in my vert, I think i will be back to my XKE days. No question in my mind....the vert has all the style, classic looks and rings of "E" type!

Old 12-26-2011, 03:00 PM

I had a 2000 BRG convertible for 7 years but kept lusting for a BRG coupe, which I finally found. Coupes to me are better looking. I live in Florida so need a convertible, so bought a 2007 Mazda Miata. A real roadster sports car not a GT car. The top goes down in 3 to 5 seconds flat not half a minute or more. I love both cars for different purposes.

Quick Reply: Convertible or Coupe?