XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible hydraulic issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 01:40 PM
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Convertible hydraulic issues.

I know this is a well documented issue but I had a little different experience I think I should share.

Tried to lower the roof with the key in the door and got an early Christmas present. However, the next weekend after I had ordered a replacement line from TopHydraulics; I couldn't get the latch to disengage?! I gave about all I could on the Hex wrench (yes, bypass valve open) but I couldn't rotate the latch far enough to unlock the loop. I got a pair of channel locks on it and got it out.

***Gouge*** I took the new line and connected it to the two ports on left side of the pump and then used the key to lower the top. The single line effectively bypasses the roof latch but allows the pump to lower to the top. ****

My point is, even though the bypass valve was open, the fluid wouldn't move back into the reservoir. So now I get to field-strip that thing - oh joy. I may have to make the $400 investment in a rebuild but I want to see what I can 'fore I take the plunge.

Happy motoring!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Jay,

With the petcock open, the pump itself was not preventing you from opening the latch. That leaves a complete blockage in one of the latch hoses (seems unlikely) or a mechanical fault in the latch mechanism.

Suggestions: try exercising the latch with both latch hoses disconnected at the pump (a rag or similar there to catch fluid). Action should be smooth and pretty easy. If not, disconnect hoses at the latch. If it still does not operate smoothly, probably the latch itself is in trouble.

(Best to include your MY, etc. in your sig line so we know about your car.)

Good luck.

Originally Posted by Jay48
I know this is a well documented issue but I had a little different experience I think I should share.

Tried to lower the roof with the key in the door and got an early Christmas present. However, the next weekend after I had ordered a replacement line from TopHydraulics; I couldn't get the latch to disengage?! I gave about all I could on the Hex wrench (yes, bypass valve open) but I couldn't rotate the latch far enough to unlock the loop. I got a pair of channel locks on it and got it out.

***Gouge*** I took the new line and connected it to the two ports on left side of the pump and then used the key to lower the top. The single line effectively bypasses the roof latch but allows the pump to lower to the top. ****

My point is, even though the bypass valve was open, the fluid wouldn't move back into the reservoir. So now I get to field-strip that thing - oh joy. I may have to make the $400 investment in a rebuild but I want to see what I can 'fore I take the plunge.

Happy motoring!

Old 09-07-2015, 09:30 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

First off you know that the latch hoses are directional, one hose pushes the latch open and the other hose pushes the latch closed. Yes I said each hose pushes so if the hoses are crossed it may be part of your problem. Did you remove the pump and if you did do you have the plugs to the solenoids on correctly? When you had it all together after the hose replacement did the roof operate properly?

With the petcock open at the pump the latch should be easy to open and close unless you pinched one of the hoses when installing them or a jam in the linkage. If you made a sharp bend in one of the hoses you may want to consider replacing that hose that pinch in the line will shorten the life of your new hose.