XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Convertible latch hose kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 10:56 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,213 Likes on 1,702 Posts

Originally Posted by robrtx
Yes I did it myself and I am a person of meager mechanical ability.

The new hose kit from Jag comes with 2 hoses already together with tie wraps and new white clips that hold hoses to A pilar (I'm not sure from previous posts if they always came this way).

Some things that I found helpful:

1. pull the weather stripping part way off by fuse panel on driver's side, this allows for some play with the side of the dash and allows a bit more room for feeding the hoses through. I duct taped the pump end of the new hoses to the disconnected latch end of the old hoses to help "snake" down from "A" pillar past fuse panel near kick panel. Then untaped to run around where the front of driver's seat was.

2. I was able to un-tuck carpet from under center console which made it unnecessary to remove center console

3. after untucking carpet and removing kick panel, foot rest, and front/rear seat I was able to fold back carpet enough to remove old hoses and run the new hoses - good advice from Gus was to not remove aluminum scuff plate along driver's door sill (you don't need to remove to fold carpet away from area that hoses run and that plate would be easily damaged)

4. I removed speaker on rear passenger side. It is easier to do this if you remove the bar that runs over the top of the speaker box. I then re taped the pump end of the new hoses to the latch end of the old hoses to feed through the area behind the speaker into the trunk after cutting all the tie wraps along the way and freeing from white saddle clips

5. I removed pump to install LCI press. relief valve and attached new latch hoses to pump at this time. Also bought Pentosin CHS 11s from NAPA for $21 to replace fluid

I estimate the actual work time I put into it was 6 hours give or take but I did it over a week or so (disassembled interior while waiting for hoses and relief valve upgrade kit to arrive through fedex) and I really took my time because this car isn't my only vehicle and I could leave it apart in my garage and come back to it at my leisure.
Kudos to you!